Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: iggy overrated?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pd7631 View Post
    I'll take a stab at this question.

Yes, if he were the best scorer in the league and an average defender, he would absolutely be more deserving, I think Kevin Durant proves this point. It's not hard to find players with limited talent, who can go out and bust their *** defensively, but as we've seen for quite awhile, getting a guy who can consistently bring offense game in and game out, is pretty hard.

Iggy is a glorified role player, and he's not failing to live up to our expectations, he's failing to live up to his own. You can't call yourself "the man" and lead a team to an 0-8 record in games decided by 4pts or less. You also can't be "the man" and average 12ppg.
    Its funny really you trip me out kevin durant has westbrook to score as well wicth makes both players more dangerous now I'm not saying he's not a gifted scorer because he is and iggy isn't but given the right situation as a number 2 guy iggy puting up 20 ppg isn't so crazy acuaclly give him the same amount of shots as a normal scorer and he would

vCash
    Is this serious? He's not overrated, and only for the simple fact nobody in their right mind even considers him a good player. He's the only one who thinks he's great. Philly would Love Iggy if he was making the veteran min and comin off the bench, but since he's paid like a "Franchise" player he is what he is a fkin BUM!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thevcballer View Post
    tell me hydro is iggys d and o where reversed and he was the best scorer in the nba and a average defender would he deserve the allstar game more in your opinion?
    I dont even know how u can ask a question like that.... The answer is an obvious, unequivical YES!

But thats such an obnoxious hypothetical. If iggys O and D were revered hed be a 6'6 d-wade, but much stronger and with the ability to jump out of the gym, and hed still be able to defend at 2 positions. Iggy would be talked about with kobe, lebron, rose, and durant...

I value defense as much as anybody, lets not get anything twisted, but lets reverse that for a second.... What if allen iversons O and D were reveresed back when he was in his prime.... Theres no chance in hell that that sixers team even scratches the top of the east, much less the atlantic.

Teams that win are built around great offensive players... Then the rosters are filled out by role players like strong defenders (iggy) shooters (kyle korver) brusing bigs (kendrock perkins circa celtics), etc.

The sixers missed the most important step when building this team.... (Unless evan turner turns into that guy)
    Last edited by BChydro86; 04-12-2012 at 12:35 PM.

gotta pay the troll toll

vCash
    Andre "The Man(self proclaimed)" Iguodala comes up huge again for the team in a close game. Gotta love our leader.

Philadelphia 76ers

"All the time us."

Thanks to JDink24 on the sig

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BChydro86 View Post
    I dont even know how u can ask a question like that.... The answer is an obvious, unequivical YES!

But thats such an obnoxious hypothetical. If iggys O and D were revered hed be a 6'6 d-wade, but much stronger and with the ability to jump out of the gym, and hed still be able to defend at 2 positions. Iggy would be talked about with kobe, lebron, rose, and durant...

I value defense as much as anybody, lets not get anything twisted, but lets reverse that for a second.... What if allen iversons O and D were reveresed back when he was in his prime.... Theres no chance in hell that that sixers team even scratches the top of the east, much less the atlantic.

Teams that win are built around great offensive players... Then the rosters are filled out by role players like strong defenders (iggy) shooters (kyle korver) brusing bigs (kendrock perkins circa celtics), etc.

The sixers missed the most important step when building this team.... (Unless evan turner turns into that guy)
    That hypathetical hold even less water then mine that team had no other capaible offenseive players even without iggy this would be an abouve averge defesive team without iverson that team would be in the bottem 5 in scoreing if anything you prove my point there are 2 sides to basketball

vCash
    Of course there are two sides to basketball, and they are equally important. BUT, for a team to WIN a team needs a consistent scoring threat (probably two) and thats what makes an all-star/superstar player. Iggy isnt that guy, nor is he a big, a guy like mutombo, ben wallace, hakeem olojuan, tim duncan, dwight howard who affects a game and leads to wins defensively, more so than iggy, because theyre bigs who enforce their basket. So theyre all-stars irregardless of their O, even though 3 of those guys are/were 2-way all-stars. Iggys defense is less valuable, from a winning perspective, as a wing player....

Also, the larry brown sixers would have been a top defensive team as well, but they may not even have made the playoffs if u switched AIs O and D. So for u to say i proved against my point is just poor reasoning on your part, and it makes no sense.

Either way, u obviously dont get it.
    Last edited by BChydro86; 04-14-2012 at 02:23 PM.

gotta pay the troll toll

vCash
    I defend Iggy all the time. He's by far our best player; one of the better all-around players in the league...

But that turnover last night was pathetic and may have cost us the game. TO's like that are so demoralizing and deflating... Then he followed that up with another ****** play where he picked up his dribble, lazily tried to pass over the top and lost it. I was so aggravated by his complacency. Disgusting.

vCash
    Of course there are two sides to basketball, and they are equally important. BUT, for a team to WIN a team needs a consistent scoring threat (probably two) and thats what makes an all-star/superstar player. Iggy isnt that guy, nor is he a big, a guy like mutombo, ben wallace, hakeem olojuan, tim duncan, dwight howard who affects a game and leads to wins defensively, more so than iggy, because theyre bigs who enforce their basket. So theyre all-stars irregardless of their O, even though 3 of those guys are/were 2-way all-stars. Iggys defense is less valuable, from a winning perspective, as a wing player....

Also, the larry brown sixers would have been a top defensive team as well, but they may not even have made the playoffs if u switched AIs O and D. So for u to say i proved against my point is just poor reasoning on your part, and it makes no sense.

Either way, u obviously dont get it.
    I did get it you just not listening yes that 2001 76ers would be an even BETTER defesive team but that team is a bad example because outside of ai no one put up points at a high level without his scoreing of course they would be wrose. Useing such a slanted expample makes u look foolish

vCash
    No one on THIS sixers team puts up points at a high level either. So since u already admitted that the 2001 finals team would be worse, then it goes to show that THIS sixers team would be better than they are now, probably much better if iggy was a top tier scorer and just a mid-level defender, especially considering we have 3 other good wing defenders. This team has lost plenty of games this season because we dont have a guy who we can count on for buckets.

Ure not getting the point. Defense win chakonships, but elite scorers (and a high level big) need to be in place... Its the first (and 2nd) step.

Bottom line, if u switched iggys O and D, hed be a top 10, maybe top 5 player in the league, but hes not. Hes not even a legit all-star, he got the curtesy vote.

A boxing analogy... U can have the best footwork, head movement, and defense in boxing, but if ure not throwing punches, ure still gonna lose the fight.
    Last edited by BChydro86; 04-15-2012 at 10:10 AM.

gotta pay the troll toll

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 76erEaglePhils View Post
    He never was an all-star player.
    Umm, yeah he was. Like 2 months ago...lol

Iggy, I think, is no longer overrated as a whole. Most seem to know he's probably a 3rd tier talent(3rd best player on a good team). However, I think certain aspects of his game are overrated, like his defense. Other aspects may be underrated. He is the best 3 point shooter on the team. And he appears to me to have taken a back seat to the younger players, which I appreciate.

The real issue when in comes to whether or not he's over/underrated is his compensation. He probably made 10-15M above his true value over the life of his contract. Iggy making between 9(first year) and 12(final year) would have been ideal.
    Pay attention. You might learn something.

vCash
    No one on THIS sixers team puts up points at a high level either. So since u already admitted that the 2001 finals team would be worse, then it goes to show that THIS sixers team would be better than they are now, probably much better if iggy was a top tier scorer and just a mid-level defender, especially considering we have 3 other good wing defenders. This team has lost plenty of games this season because we dont have a guy who we can count on for buckets.

Ure not getting the point. Defense win chakonships, but elite scorers (and a high level big) need to be in place... Its the first (and 2nd) step.

Bottom line, if u switched iggys O and D, hed be a top 10, maybe top 5 player in the league, but hes not. Hes not even a legit all-star, he got the curtesy vote.

A boxing analogy... U can have the best footwork, head movement, and defense in boxing, but if ure not throwing punches, ure still gonna lose the fight.
    What's so frustrating is that most of know what Iggy should be doing. He just won't. I mean he's getting a tad better at selection. He's still not slashing and flashing backdoor enough for my taste. Taking much better long range shots and knocking him down. I'll give him credit for that. I think the whole point forward thing is a product of him not being able to do what Collins asked, which was go aggressive to the basket to score. He's terrible at that. I say he loses the ball on dribble drives 70% of the time on those, which suggests to me that he really isn't a good ball handler. He should just others set the table for him. But hell, I've been saying this for years.
    Pay attention. You might learn something.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123