Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: How does this series play out?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blue Jays sweep

6 10.53%
  • Blue Jays take 2/3

37 64.91%
  • Red Sox take 2/3

13 22.81%
  • Red Sox sweep

1 1.75%
Page 2 of 172 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Alvarez has a plus fastball that has a ton of movement and changeup that can vary greatly in velocity. Both are plus pitches...if he can get the slider to above average, let alone a plus pitch, he could be one of the best in the game...he's still only 21 so he has time to work on the slider...

vCash
    I'm going to the home opener and am really pumped, especially with a packed house and a bitter division rival. Only thing is that we got our tickets through Pete Walker, the Jays' bullpen coach, so don't quite know where we are sitting yet. First street meat before a Jays game of the year!

Anyone think Lind sits either the 1st game or the 3rd game against the lefty, plus the fact they said he was going to sit to rest his back during the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by avrpatsfan View Post
    I heard that Alvarez has filthy stuff, is that true guys?
    he shut you guys down last year, papi said he was similar to pedro martinez

vCash
    I want to see the Red Sox start 0-6.

We all know theyre going to push themselves coming here. Theyre pitching looks almost as good as ours and theyre hitting is almost as good as ours. Its a matter of who pushes the right buttons, and let us not forget that we have home field advantage.

Its going to be an interesting series, and Im projecting a sweep. The games are going to be close, its not going to be an easy sweep, but sweeping Boston (the team we were the weakest against last year) would be the best thing the Jays could do to make a statement that we are serious contenders this year.

This homestand is the first trial the Blue Jays face. Its 9 games against our division rivals....If we can win at least 7 of them, thats a good start. Realistically, The Jays will win 5 or 6...but 7 would be nice.

vCash
    God I hope they keep leading Nick Punto off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dol-Fan View Post
    Awesome sinking movement on his fastball that can run up into the mid 90s (topped out at 97 last year, if I recall? Perhaps someone else can confirm) with a nasty change. Slider is a real work in progress that needs to be improved from last year. The fastball really is filthy though.
    Yeah, you're right

vCash
    Carreno optioned to Triple-A.

Laffey called up

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news...k_tor&c_id=tor

vCash
    ^^Just so people are aware- Laffey is coming up as another lefty in the 'pen, and the Jays go to a 4-ma rotation for the time being.

vCash
    Wheres Lackey !! we want lackey !! we want lackey !!

vCash
    We can take these guys.

Let's give the Bo Sox another terrible start to the season!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rapsjaysfan88 View Post
    he shut you guys down last year, papi said he was similar to pedro martinez
    He doesn't have the same strikeout power that Pedro had though I think, but nevertheless quite a name to live up to.

vCash
    Alvarez averages around 90-92 but if he reaches back can get to 95. However he does have a low k% rate as others have mentioned -- he will also need to work on the slider to improve the k rate and have long-term success - as good as he is, its very difficult to earn a living in the MLB as a starter with 2 pitches...if he gets the slider working, he's a #2 in my mind...
    Last edited by Sanyo; 04-08-2012 at 10:58 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
    We can take these guys.

Let's give the Bo Sox another terrible start to the season!
    This is a team with a chip on their shoulder, a team that's coming off a game where they lost even though they scored 12 runs. Why does everyone assume they are weak? We got schooled by a 38 year old starter today. Yeah they're putting out a weak pitcher but Alvarez still has to face the Boston offense... If our guys aren't scoring we aren't going to win. The season has barely started and people are already predicting a sweep of the Red Sox, temper your expectations.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanyo View Post
    Alvarez averages around 90-92 but if he reaches back can get to 95. However he does have a low k% rate as others have mentioned -- he will also need to work on the slider to improve the k rate and have long-term success - as good as he is, its very difficult to earn a living in the MLB as a starter with 2 pitches...if he gets the slider working, he's a #2 in my mind...
    Just want to make sure people aren't receiving false information. Alvarez averaged 93.3 on his FB last year and topped out at 97, as was reported above by JJF and myself

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by es0terik View Post
    This is a team with a chip on their shoulder, a team that's coming off a game where they lost even though they scored 12 runs. Why does everyone assume they are weak? We got schooled by a 38 year old starter today. Yeah they're putting out a weak pitcher but Alvarez still has to face the Boston offense... If our guys aren't scoring we aren't going to win. The season has barely started and people are already predicting a sweep of the Red Sox, temper your expectations.
    I somewhat agree. I'm predicting a 2-1 series win for the Jays, but that's merely because I like the pitching match-ups.

Boston's offense is still quite potent but their pitching is, well in my opinion anyway, quite weak. I think Romero and Alvarez will be quite capable of keeping their production down, and I'm eager to see how Drabek will perform after the reports that he's changed his approach (I'll believe it when I see it, but I'm still hopeful).

Page 2 of 172 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast