Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Did Reddick Catch the Final Out? NO!

Just wanted everyone's opinion here on the last out of the game. Yes it probably doesnt matter as we still would have been trailing, but I dont think what happened counts as an 'out'. Reddick appeared o catch the ball in right field, ran into the wall, fell to the ground in obvious pain and threw his glove off his hand to the ground an the ball came out. According to mld rules on a catch:

"It is not a catch, however, if simultaneously or immediately following his contact with the ball, he collides with a player, or with a wall, or if he falls down, and as a result of such collision or falling, drops the ball. "

Sounds EXACTLY like what happened. Now we still would have been down 14-11 with 2 outs, but with Hardy Thome and Jones coming up you never know.

Just an interesting thought

vCash
    Uh, he didn't drop the mitt, he threw his mitt after the Ump confirmed the out.

vCash
    Reddick made the catch, laid on the ground for 10 seconds after the ump called the out, and then threw his glove. It was clearly and out

vCash
    Look i agree with all that, i am just saying by the letter of the mlb rulebook, its not a catch and the ump shouldn't have called it as such. he threw the ball and glove to the ground because he was in pain as a result of running into the wall, which according to the rulebook, is not a catch. Ive seen this called fairly regularly in college baseball but this was the first instance I've seen of it in mlb. Plan in simple he wasn't legally allowed to throw his glove down because he ran into the wall.

vCash
    You are an idiot. And you are clearly not reading the rule right. If a baseball action has taken place and the ball falls out of the glove it is still out. This consists of trying to take the ball out of your glove with your opposite hand and dropping it, throwing your glove on the ground, etc. In no way did the wall make the ball come out of his glove. It was clear he threw his glove by his own volition and therefore a catch. I am an umpire for a little league, so I know these rules.

vCash
    wow man, really a need for the name calling? Maybe in little league that is the rule, but in MLB its exactly the opposite. It is still an 'out' if you intentionally pull the ball out of the glove (aka you drop the ball o nte htransfer to throw) that is still an out. THis rule is a subset of catching when colliding with the wall, stating that once colliding wit hthe wall, the ball can not leave the glove, which it did.

Regardless of your opinion the name calling is uncalled me. We are all orioles fans and just having a discussion. I have a bachelors and masters degree from a top 10 major university, and this was after I was drafted by the Braves in the 2002 MLB draft, so i'd like to think I am not an idiot and know a thing or two about baseball. Your entitled to your opinion and I would never call you an idiot for it even if I disagree with your opinion. Hope you show a little more class when you are cheering for the O's among other fans.

vCash
    You do realize you are wrong, right? If he throws his glove by his own volition that does not constitute dropping it and it is still considered an out. Playing baseball does not mean you know the rules properly. I see a lot of players that are highly touted prospects that have still problems differentiating between fair and foul. Argument from authority fallacy.

Edit: I am going to explain the rule you posted because I think you have misinterpreted it.

"simultaneously or immediately"

Now, Reddick hit the wall right? Alright, did the ball fall out as soon as he hit it? No. Did he throw the glove by his own will? Yes. Therefore it is an out. I don't know how to make this any simpler for you.
    Last edited by Guppyfighter; 07-29-2012 at 08:29 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppyfighter View Post
    You are an idiot. And you are clearly not reading the rule right. If a baseball action has taken place and the ball falls out of the glove it is still out. This consists of trying to take the ball out of your glove with your opposite hand and dropping it, throwing your glove on the ground, etc. In no way did the wall make the ball come out of his glove. It was clear he threw his glove by his own volition and therefore a catch. I am an umpire for a little league, so I know these rules.
    - You insult people and brag about being a little league umpire. lol man.

vCash
    That's not bragging.

vCash
    Listen I respect your opinion as an umpire. that being said, I have seen this EXACT thing called a drop by umpires in both the college and minor league level. So were they wrong as well? the ruling here, and the question I posed, was did he throw his glove as a result of colliding with the wall. As the rule says "and as a result of such collision or falling, drops the ball. " if the umpire ruled he threw his glove for a reason other than colliding with the wall, then fine they made the correct ruling. I saw it as he threw his glove because of the collision with the wall and therefor this particular umpire made the wrong call. Its a tough one to make but one that is made many times, and ones that ih ave seen called many times by college and minor league (professional umpires)

But as I said you are entitled to your interpretation of the ruling as I am mine. I still won't call you an idiot for your opinion.

vCash
    I already highlighted the part where it says it has to be an immediate result and not a delayed one. He threw it because he had the wind knocked out of him and a bruise developed. The fact he threw it himself ends all debate because that means he did not drop it. Whoever made that call as you referenced would be wrong.

vCash
    Listen I obviously was of the opionion he threw it immedietly. Thats the only question here because after colliding with the wall you can not immedietly throw your glove to the ground, which I thought he did. If you thought he waited long enough then thats your opion, but I thought it was immediete and that was my point. Because, no offense, I will take the opinion of ACC umpires and professional minor league umpires that you can not throw a ball to the ground immedietly after colliding with the wall. the onlyu question here is the immediecy of the ball being thrown to the ground. THAT is the only question.

On that note though I will be ending this conversation, and won't post in the Orioles thread anymore. I don't need to come here to discuess an Orioles game and to be berated. Good luck, and hopefully you don't treat all future orioles fans like this

vCash
    lol Watch the video again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by terp12354 View Post
    Listen I obviously was of the opionion he threw it immedietly. Thats the only question here because after colliding with the wall you can not immedietly throw your glove to the ground, which I thought he did. If you thought he waited long enough then thats your opion, but I thought it was immediete and that was my point. Because, no offense, I will take the opinion of ACC umpires and professional minor league umpires that you can not throw a ball to the ground immedietly after colliding with the wall. the onlyu question here is the immediecy of the ball being thrown to the ground. THAT is the only question.

On that note though I will be ending this conversation, and won't post in the Orioles thread anymore. I don't need to come here to discuess an Orioles game and to be berated. Good luck, and hopefully you don't treat all future orioles fans like this
    Pretty sure Guppy is an A's fan.

vCash
    That doesn't change the fact he obviously caught it and then willfully threw his glove on the ground after rolling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast