Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

The Orioles May Have Stood Pat In Real Life

But as Pro Sports Daily's Baltimore Orioles General Manager in their Mock Trade Deadline game where various posters were given control of rosters and salary cap, I decided to swing some deals.

The first move I made was with the Boston Red Sox.
    Matt Lindstrom was traded for Outfielder Daniel Nava, Shortstop Jose Iglesias, and Right Handed pitcher Alex Wilson.

This move allowed the Orioles to get the 5th overall prospect in the Red Sox system who is a defensive wizard and will work with Machado in the minors at second base, an outfielder who has the same 0WAR as Marakis with a great OBP, and a pitcher in the minors with starter potential.

Another move I made was a trade where Mark Reynolds was shipped to the Oakland Atheltics. The A's decided to paid 5 Million of Reynolds 7.6Million Dollars an gave up 4 players as well. RHP Evan Scribner, RHP Dan Straily, 3B/C Josh Donaldson, and 1B Miles Head who the Sox traded for Andrew Bailey were brought in to stockpile the farm.

Our mentality was to sell, shed salary / overrate players replenish the team / farm by getting younger, and looking to compete. We traded fan favorite Nick Markakis and Jim Johnson to the Angels for Peter Bourjos Garret Richards and prospects Randal Grichuk and Stephen Geltz. Bourjos and Richards were two guys being discussed for an ace like Cole Hamels. To get them on the team for the future to be apart of the core with Macahdo and Bundy was huge. Richards is also a major league upgrade to the rotation now and that helps for a playoff run big time. Especially with the Hammel injury.

For some reason the Mets were looking to trade any and every player. We took this time to acquire Ike Davis. Jake Arrietta, Xavier Avery, Jason Esposito, and Clay Schraeder were dealt to New York. We also managed to acquire Pedro Beato to fill in for the trade of Lindstrom. Adding Davis, Bourjos, Iglesias and Richards to Jones, Wieters, Bundy, and Macado is scary for the rest of the AL East.

One of the Orioles biggest needs coming into the deadline in real life was improved defense at the corners. Because of this, we shipped Jim Thome to the Indians for defensive genius Casey Kotchman. We acquired Kotchman before the trade for Davis but Kotchman is now a bench bat that we feel will help the team moving forward.

All of this concludes itself into a simulation that will determine power rankings now and toward the future. It is a game PSD sponsored and I was able to be the O's GM for a few weeks working out deals and trading pieces.

Here is the lineup the O's will compete with now...

LF Peter Bourjos (R)
    SS JJ Hardy (R)
    CF Adam Jones (R)
    1B Ike Davis (L)
    C Matt Wieters (S)
    DH Chris Davis (L)
    3B Wilson Betemit (S)
    RF Daniel Nava (S)
    2B Omar Quintanilla (S)

SP Jason Hammel RHP
    SP Wei Yin Chen LHP
    SP Garrett Richards RHP
    SP Zack Britton LHP
    SP Miguel Gonzalez RHP

CP Pedro Strop RHP
    SU Darren O'Day RHP
    MR Kevin Gregg RHP
    MR Luis Ayala RHP
    MR Evan Scribner RHP
    LS Troy Patton LHP
    LR Tommy Hunter RHP

Josh Donaldson C / 3B
    Casey Kotchman 1B

Steve Pearce 1B/LF/RF
    Taylor Teagarden C

Minor League Acquisitions To Bolster the Farm
    SS Jose Iglesias
    OF Randal Grichuk
    1B Miles Head
    P Alex Wilson
    P Pedro Beato
    P Dan Straily (STEAL!!)
    P Stephen Getz

And we can't wait until Machado and Bundy join the conversation as well.

What do you think of my job as Baltimores General manager?

We saved a lot of money beyond 2012 and even got a 5 Million Dollar Increase for the work we did from 'Ownership'
    Last edited by Vintage; 07-31-2012 at 07:29 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    But as Pro Sports Daily's Baltimore Orioles General Manager in their Mock Trade Deadline game where various posters were given control of rosters and salary cap, I decided to swing some deals.

Matt Lindstrom was traded for Outfielder Daniel Nava, Shortstop Jose Iglesias, and Right Handed pitcher Alex Wilson.

This move allowed the Orioles to get the 5th overall prospect in the Red Sox system who is a defensive wizard and will work with Machado in the minors at second base, an outfielder who has the same 0WAR as Marakis with a great OBP, and a pitcher in the minors with starter potential.

Another move I made was a trade where Mark Reynolds was shipped to the Oakland Atheltics. The A's decided to paid 5 Million of Reynolds 7.6Million Dollars an gave up 4 players as well. RHP Evan Scribner, RHP Dan Straily, 3B/C Josh Donaldson, and 1B Miles Head who the Sox traded for Andrew Bailey were brought in to stockpile the farm.

Our mentality was to sell, shed salary / overrate players replenish the team / farm by getting younger, and looking to compete. We traded fan favorite Nick Markakis and Jim Johnson to the Angels for Peter Bourjos Garret Richards and prospects Randal Grichuk and Stephen Geltz. Bourjos and Richards were two guys being discussed for an ace like Cole Hamels. To get them on the team for the future to be apart of the core with Macahdo and Bundy was huge. Richards is also a major league upgrade to the rotation now and that helps for a playoff run big time. Especially with the Hammel injury.

For some reason the Mets were looking to trade any and every player. We took this time to acquire Ike Davis. Jake Arrietta, Xavier Avery, Jason Esposito, and Clay Schraeder were dealt to New York. We also managed to acquire Pedro Beato to fill in for the trade of Lindstrom. Adding Davis, Bourjos, Iglesias and Richards to Jones, Wieters, Bundy, and Macado is scary for the rest of the AL East.

One of the Orioles biggest needs coming into the deadline in real life was improved defense at the corners. Because of this, we shipped Jim Thome to the Indians for defensive genius Casey Kotchman. We acquired Kotchman before the trade for Davis but Kotchman is now a bench bat that we feel will help the team moving forward.

All of this concludes itself into a simulation that will determine power rankings now and toward the future. It is a game PSD sponsored and I was able to be the O's GM for a few weeks working out deals and trading pieces.

LF Peter Bourjos (R)
    SS JJ Hardy (R)
    CF Adam Jones (R)
    1B Ike Davis (L)
    C Matt Wieters (S)
    DH Chris Davis (L)
    3B Wilson Betemit (S)
    RF Daniel Nava (S)
    2B Omar Quintanilla (S)

SP Jason Hammel RHP
    SP Wei Yin Chen LHP
    SP Garrett Richards RHP
    SP Zack Britton LHP
    SP Miguel Gonzalez RHP

CP Pedro Strop RHP
    SU Darren O'Day RHP
    MR Kevin Gregg RHP
    MR Luis Ayala RHP
    MR Evan Scribner RHP
    LS Troy Patton LHP
    LR Tommy Hunter RHP

Josh Donaldson C / 3B
    Casey Kotchman 1B

Steve Pearce 1B/LF/RF
    Taylor Teagarden C

SS Jose Iglesias
    OF Randal Grichuk
    1B Miles Head
    P Alex Wilson
    P Pedro Beato
    P Dan Straily (STEAL!!)
    P Stephen Getz

We saved a lot of money beyond 2012 and even got a 5 Million Dollar Increase for the work we did from 'Ownership'
    I honestly think you did a great job. Losing Reynolds and JJ hurts a little, but to both those players are not in the long term plans. You boosted the farm which was a major need. Plus added depth, filled in needs, and got some cash.

Wish you (and the other GM's you worked with) were working for the respected teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EricU812 View Post
    I honestly think you did a great job. Losing Reynolds and JJ hurts a little, but to both those players are not in the long term plans. You boosted the farm which was a major need. Plus added depth, filled in needs, and got some cash.

Wish you (and the other GM's you worked with) were working for the respected teams.
    Thanls for the positive feedback.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post

LF Peter Bourjos (R)
    SS JJ Hardy (R)
    CF Adam Jones (R)
    1B Ike Davis (L)
    C Matt Wieters (S)
    DH Chris Davis (L)
    3B Wilson Betemit (S)
    RF Daniel Nava (S)
    2B Omar Quintanilla (S)

SP Jason Hammel RHP
    SP Wei Yin Chen LHP
    SP Garrett Richards RHP
    SP Zack Britton LHP
    SP Miguel Gonzalez RHP

CP Pedro Strop RHP
    SU Darren O'Day RHP
    MR Kevin Gregg RHP
    MR Luis Ayala RHP
    MR Evan Scribner RHP
    LS Troy Patton LHP
    LR Tommy Hunter RHP

Josh Donaldson C / 3B
    Casey Kotchman 1B

Steve Pearce 1B/LF/RF
    Taylor Teagarden C

SS Jose Iglesias
    OF Randal Grichuk
    1B Miles Head
    P Alex Wilson
    P Pedro Beato
    P Dan Straily (STEAL!!)
    P Stephen Getz

This is the only move I saw that was not really possible. First of all, Reynolds basically has negative trade value. Even if we ate all of his salary, we could not have got nearly what you traded for back. Straily is becoming a legit prospect and they would not have given that up straight up for Reynolds.

The A's wouldn't budge on moving Straily for someone at the deadline. The player escapes be, but rest assured they had much much more trade value than Reynolds.

Also, I wouldn't agree with shipping off Johnson and Nicky. Bourjos is great, but we already have Joens in CF and we lose our closer. Richards is a good prospect, but I don't think he is ready to succeed at the MLB level. Plus, trading a fan favoriote like Markakis might alienate the fan base.

Also, trading Lindstrom for prospects is not a "win now" mentality. I don;t know if you were going for it this year in your mock trading, but I would only make that move if we were 4th or 5th place in the division.

I like the trades you made, however, I think that would be if we were selling. Maybe it would put us in a better position down the line, but considering we are in 2nd with 2 months left, I would not be selling to imporve the farm.

Good job though, it probably took a lot of time to compile this and wheel and deal.