Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 545535455
    vCash
    Well that sucked i sat in the cold for 5 hours to lose Next year we better come back with a vengeance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sjbirds View Post
    Great series guys... just one thing... I think you guys are more dangerous with syd n malkin on different lines cause you can't key on them... Whatcha think? Did ur coach mess up there?
    I think Malkin wasn't right in this series. I think too much is being made of the job Couturier did shadowing him. There was a lot of shots and opportunities that he just didn't connect on.

It seems like Malkin plays better when Crosby is out of the line up. I don't know if he steps up, or whatever, but it always seems like when they are both in there, Malkin isn't quite as good as he should be.
    <Meaning and Content>

...And did you see that Giroux goal?

vCash
    Malkin stepped up the last few games and he did a good job today and tryed harder then anyone on the team by the looks of it. He was visibly frustrated with the D and how tough they were playing him.
    I am sure he will be fine next year with Sid. Im worried about Stall wanting out because he don't wanna be a 3rd line center i hope it is just rumors but they scare me.

vCash
    Losing Staal would be a huge loss for your team.
    <Meaning and Content>

...And did you see that Giroux goal?

vCash
    good series thanks to all the PSD Pens fans for being respectful in our forums and I hope the favor was returned.

you guys scared the crap outta us made it TOO interesting. Scary

I will be keeping a close eye to see what you guys do in the off season as always. For your sake hopefully you dont lose Stall he was clearly your best player in the series.

vCash
    Got back from Wells Fargo a little while ago.

Here's what I liked: Despres and Strait played very well for rookies. I'll be happy to see Despres especially take a regular shift on the D next year, and I'm hopeful that Morrow is close as well. Strait, I'll have to see more of, but he looked poised, and skated well today.

Sid just isn't Sid right now. I don't know if it's just a matter of stamina and timing, because of missing all that time, but he just wasn't himself. Hopefully, he will uneventfully resume his brilliant career next season, with no lingering issues from the concussions.

But as the Penguins rely on Crosby and Malkin to be transcendent (and they are, when healthy) to put them over the top, they did not have that advantage in this round, and I think that's a Sid thing. I don't think Malkin was that healthy either, but I think if Sid had been Sid, it would not have been so much in the forefront. Malkin played a reasonably good game today, as did Neal.

As for the backchecking - what backchecking, you say? - and the defense backing in all afternoon in front of Fleury, I am just astounded by the passivity that seems to be there by design. I'm not going to get into this today, having driven in rain to and from Philly, but I have emailed:

Shero, Bylsma and Mario himself about this awful, passive system, which seems to stem from Bylsma's belief that they won't instinctively use their legs to play defense, so instead he's implemented a system where they're to mark certain areas and never desert that area, even - get this - EVEN if they have a chance to close on the puck and create a turnover. This, combined with that stupid go north at all costs philosophy, has effectively deprived them of what they do best: control the puck.

I noticed on the 1-2-2 they were using in the 3rd period of Game 5, and again today, that the high forechecker not only isn't closing when the opportunity presents itself, but that he is not doing so by design; IOW, he is not allowed to do so. This is just crazy. Crazy. I'd like to come in here and say, the Flyers played great and just outplayed us, and they did outplay us, but that would be a facile way to tie this up in a bow. It would not really get to the primary issues that kept this team from advancing, IMO.

First off, with the speed the Penguins have up front, coupled with Bylsma's phobia that they won't conscientiously backcheck, I am not at all sure why he has not gone to a 1-1-3. This way, he has a high forward strategically placed as suppport when we don't have the puck, and yet he gets the 1-1 up front to utilize the ice laterally, as play dictates, and to jump up and try to close for turnovers. If you succeed, your forward back gets to step up and away you go.

I could reference several other failed stratagems (that are clearly coaching choices, rather than spontaneous on-ice events), but I'll save that for a more detailed post-mortem. As today's was the first game I saw live, I was able to confirm several hunches from television watching which the low cameras don't really allow you to see in full.

Here's what I take most of all from this uneven season: I am grateful that Sid's career wasn't ended by concussions, and I fully expect him to be back and 100 percent next season. Hats off to Jordan Staal for playing his heart out, and I also extend sympathy to MAF for possibly having the worst coverage of the series in front of him this afternoon. He wasn't sharp, but he was again left to fend for himself, with the defense backing in, and no forward in sight to challenge the late Flyer coming into the zone and slanting to gain ice and be afforded 10 minutes to make a play. Overall, the defensive coverage by Pittsburgh in this series was a disgrace. And I do think it originates from a generally passive plan to begin with that becomes systemic and handcuffs the players from doing what is instinctive and what maximizes their skill advantage over teams like Philadelphia.
    Last edited by rudemechanical; 04-22-2012 at 07:28 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm2054 View Post
    Malkin stepped up the last few games and he did a good job today and tryed harder then anyone on the team by the looks of it. He was visibly frustrated with the D and how tough they were playing him.
    I am sure he will be fine next year with Sid. Im worried about Stall wanting out because he don't wanna be a 3rd line center i hope it is just rumors but they scare me.
    I'm not sure at this moment about his contract status, is he up? But I can't believe they wouldn't kill themselves to accommodate him, were that so. I'm not going to worry about it. I think when we lose things become magnified and worry sets in. I can't imagine why he'd want to leave; they have a chance to win the Cup every year, with this young team and deep center ice corps. He doesn't strike me as me-me guy.

vCash
    If Bylsma wants to run a defensive system, why not use the 1-4? It works a lot better that whatever he is trying to do. This is what it is like (had to use periods, spaces didn't work). The objective is for the low forward to forecheck to force the pass to go one way or another. When the pass is made, the strong side forward pounces on the puck carrier. Here is a link that explains more http://www.blueseatblogs.com/2011/09...-systems-pt-1/

_______________/...\_______________ Goal Line

=.....0.....=..........X..........=.....0.....= Hashmarks

X................................................. X

_________X_____________X_________ Blue Line

In the defensive system, they should play a box +1, which is their penalty kill with 1 roaming forward putting on pressure. These systems would really help out their D, because the 1-2-2 is giving up too many odd-man chances, and there defensive zone coverage, which seems like man-to-man, doesn't work, but a positional system (box +1) would work better
    Last edited by penguins2946; 04-22-2012 at 09:44 PM.

vCash
    I can't see Staal leaving on his own, like Rude said, he seems to be a team player and interested in winning a Cup over money... like $4M isn't enough lol. If he really wants an increased role, move him to Sid's wing, he has the offensive talent to really thrive with someone feeding him the puck

vCash
    I actually like the idea of moving Staal to Sid's wing. I really hope they consider that this offseason.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
    If Bylsma wants to run a defensive system, why not use the 1-4? It works a lot better that whatever he is trying to do. This is what it is like (had to use periods, spaces didn't work). The objective is for the low forward to forecheck to force the pass to go one way or another. When the pass is made, the strong side forward pounces on the puck carrier. Here is a link that explains more http://www.blueseatblogs.com/2011/09...-systems-pt-1/

_______________/...\_______________ Goal Line

=.....0.....=..........X..........=.....0.....= Hashmarks

X................................................. X

_________X_____________X_________ Blue Line

In the defensive system, they should play a box +1, which is their penalty kill with 1 roaming forward putting on pressure. These systems would really help out their D, because the 1-2-2 is giving up too many odd-man chances, and there defensive zone coverage, which seems like man-to-man, doesn't work, but a positional system (box +1) would work better
    Yeah, I don't think the 1-4 is the answer. It's basically the system used for teams who have the least amount of skating ability, and is used to thwart or blanket a team that does, because otherwise you're doomed to get beat in isolation. It's pretty much a system that concedes you're the inferior skill team, and since the Penguins have a big advantage in being the superior skill team when their top two lines and Letang are on the ice, this would be slightly crazy.

They actually played this system under Bowman in 91-92 for a while. They won the Cup, but not because of this.

In any event, a 1-1-3, which I am suggesting, moves a FC up to support the first FC, so you're not conceding any ice at all, you're poised to counter once a turnover is caused, and your high BC forward can now leave his support role with the D and join the play, and once you're on the move, a defenseman can jump up. This is something European teams used a great deal before they became Canadian-ized.

The reason I suggest the 1-1-3 specifically for us is that it covers your butt defensively, but it also doesn't concede anything. The one thing it must have, though, is two forwards who are quick, especially from neutral, and in closing on the puck. Also requires generally good skating, tight turns, backskating and ability to move well laterally. If you have this (and we obviously do), and your players are committed to using their legs, you get to

A). Make plays that allow your second man to be involved, but also to be a "second wave" guy, so you aren't both spread out laterally or at same place in zone (which can happen with the more aggressive and less easy to sustain 2-1-2), and also allows a 3rd man now to be your "late" guy, and if you achieve control then your first "D" can come even later, and now you've got options and a "fourth" wave, meaning you have puck control and time: perfect for the Penguins' natural inclinations for looking for late guys, off-wing guys lurking, off point, etc).

B). Dynamically adjust to playing defense if you fail to turn over the puck, because although your first two skaters are aggressive, you still have your second man back and then more backup in the high forward with the D. You are still covering areas but not trading your ability to jump in and make plays by conceding ice. The whole key to the 1-1-3 is that your second guy does not get lulled into a sense that he's a containment guy, but always has to be moving and aggressive, both ways.

I like the 2-1-2 for certain units, and certain times during the game, but as I say, it's tiring to sustain, and it isn't vertical enough and can trap forwards deep, because they're both supposed to be aggressive by design, and create gap for the opponent and cause your D to have to widen that gap by peeling off. This is also usually the response to dumping, which means you're dumping more, which is a low percentage play, even though it's a necessary one at times.

The 1-2-2 wasn't effective because they get lulled into the idea of containment, by its design, even though the idea is that the first guy can cause a turnover and the strong side guy in the second row doesn't have to move too far across to support. That guy doesn't have the same kind of offensive mindfulness the second man in a 1-1-3 has. Meanwhile, in the 1-2-2, his weak-side forechecker is in a containment spot and across from, rather than behind, the second guy. 1-1-3 means a kind of triple slot and guys arriving at different times: this always works better for sustaining offense, having more options to disrupt a goalie's ability to just dig in and hold position, and for having different areas staked out for keeping the puck.

vCash
    I used to be involved in hockey from an analytical perspective for a living. I left that world because I got tired of it, but now I wish I had kept up some Pittsburgh contacts in order to find out what the hell is going on with Bylsma's thought process, and how the players feel about it.

I think they're committed to Bylsma because winning a Cup gives you some equity, naturally, and he also seems to have a very good relationship with the players.

OK, fine. But hire someone who can be the x's and o's guy, FCS. He's just not in tune with how to optimize the young, skilled team he's been gifted with. Something's very wrong with his choices for that team.

vCash
    Please don't take this the wrong way; it is meant with the uttermost respect.

But I think the Flyers skate (pardon the pun) into the Finals after this series because they will play no better team than the Pens.

And regardless of how we end up doing, the Flyers-Pens regular season games next year will be appointment television.
    PROUD CHARTER MEMBER: Phillies PSD HAll of Fame, Class of '08.
    [

ALL YOUR ACE ARE BELONG TO US.

vCash
    No disrespect taken, I think it could be true depending on how the other series end. Boston and New York are obviously the better teams but if they would lose, I don't see anyone really putting up a fight, Washington maybe? I think it all comes down to Boston and New York.

I agree though, the matchups in the regular season next year are going to be great. Definitely some carryover I would imagine

Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 545535455