Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dylan Bundy

vCash
    Dude Off To A Crazy Start
    Foam Party!

vCash
    Dylan Bundy finally cracked Tuesday night under the pressure of the home crowd -- he walked a batter.

The Orioles' top pitching prospect -- one rogue baserunner aside -- shined again in his third professional start, striking out three over what's become routine: Three hitless innings and more high-90s readings on the radar gun as the Class A Delmarva Shorebirds beat the Hagerstown Suns, 6-2.

Bundy, the fourth overall pick in last year's Draft, topped out at 99 mph, according to the Shorebirds. Rumors of 102 mph posted on social media were not accurate, the team said.

The 19-year-old right-hander has thrown nine hitless innings to begin his career, striking out 15 of the 28 batters he's faced. He's topped out at 99 mph in each of his last two starts.

"Dylan wasn't as sharp as he was his first two outings. I think he might've had a little more adrenaline going being his first start at home," Shorebirds manager Ryan Minor told delmarvanow.com. "His stuff is good enough to get hitters out at this level by chasing high fastballs, but when he works down in the zone at times he's tough to get the barrel of the bat on the ball."

Bundy retired his first eight batters, inducing a pair of grounders in the opening inning and ending the second with a pair of strikeouts. He got Cole Leonida and Bryce Ortega to ground out to the start the third before Billy Burns became the first batter to reach base against Bundy by drawing a two-out walk. Jason Martinson bounced to shortstop to end the inning.

Trent Howard (1-0) picked up his first win, following Bundy with fire scoreless frames.

Nick Delmonico homered in the eighth and Nick Delmonico knocked home two runs for Delmarva.

"I try to treat every appearance just like I'm starting," Howard said. "Like today, I knew Bundy was just going three innings, so I kind of treated it as if the fourth inning was my first inning of the game, but I also had an advantage of seeing what the hitters did beforehand. For me, I tried to make it as similar as possible as if I were starting."

The Orioles, who drafted Bundy out of Owasso (Okla.) High School, have kept their prodigy on a short leash. He's thrown three innings in each start and said last week the organization plans to gradually build him up to four and five innings per start rather than focus on pitch counts. O's fans already are speculating when he could reach the Majors.

Bundy's home debut was anticipated as much by the Shorebirds as it was their fans. The South Atlantic League team's ticket office was buzzing with phone calls, Baltimore media rolled into town and Dylan Bundy T-shirts are on the way to Perdue Stadium.

"Never in my four years with the Shorebirds has there been this type of excitement for a start, this type of anticipation for any player to make his debut," said Bret Lasky, the Shorebirds' radio broadcaster and media relations director. "No doubt, it'll be one of our larger Tuesday crowds of the year. It helps, too, that the Nationals' first-round pick is also pitching, but it's mostly about Dylan."

Lasky said fans had been clamoring for information on when Bundy finally would take the mound at home. Usually, it's the Thirsty Thursdays and postgame fireworks shows that get fans worked up for a night at the ballpark.

"We've been promoting [Bundy's start] on Twitter, Facebook, the website, on the phones and at the box office," Lasky said. "Everything's ramped up, there's a big emphasis. The biggest question leading up to the announcement [that'd he be starting Tuesday] was, 'When is Dylan Bundy starting?' Every time someone called the office, that was at least part of the reason for the call."

And Bundy, who's older brother, Bobby, pitches for the Orioles' Double-A affiliate, also had to prepare for the recent attention.

"We have MASN Sports, Sirius satellite radio and our local writers coming, and MiLB.com wants to talk to him after every start," Lasky said. "Dylan's been great, very accommodating and easy to work with every time he's been asked to do an interview. It's not because he has to, but because he's a nice enough guy to do it. He understands that people want to talk to him, and that's part of being a first-round Draft pick. He gets all that.

"[As a broadcaster], I just wish he'd go more innings because it's fun calling strikeout after strikeout."

Of course, Bundy isn't the first recent top pick assigned to Delmarva.

"We had [Manny] Machado last year and [Matt] Hobgood before that, so we've had some good experience dealing with these type of guys," Lasky said. "We get that this is an important day, Bundy's home debut, because who knows how many more times he'll be here pitching for us. But we just ordered Bundy T-shirts, with his No. 7 on the back. We did the same with Machado."
    http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...vkey=news_milb

vCash
    Tonight's line.........4 IP, 0 hits, 0 walks, 6 k's.
    Groundouts-flyouts: 1-3

This puts him at 4 starts 13 IP, 0 hits, 1 walk, 21 k's, 0 ER's.

Def. time for a move up to Frederick at least.

vCash
    Hitters are 0-39 against him. Sounds like he will be with the Shorebirds for at least 2 starts. Also heard he may be there till mid to lay May. I don't think anyone really knows though. I think the O's like him there because Delmarva has a 6 man rotation and that let's Bundy get more bullpens in between starts. Right now he is pretty much working on his changeup and curveball. That's crazy to think about. He is dominating like this while he is focusing on developing his offspeed pitchers. Just imagine how he will be when he is 100 percent ready to go.

vCash
    I just hope they build up arm strength to protect that arm. I don't want him to join the long line of high pitching prospects for the Os that are hurt. Britton, Matusz to name a few

vCash
    Bump him up a notch. He's obviously not learning anything there. His talent alone is just too good.

vCash
    I honestly believe we should have started him off at Bowie. He's just miles ahead of anyone he's playing against right now.
    Orioles
    Eagles
    Bulls

vCash
    Unreal, Move Him Up.
    Foam Party!

vCash
    Bundy pitches again tomorrow night and it will be another 4 inning outing. After that he will throw one more 4 inning game then three 5 inning games. He will stay with Delmarva for at least those 5 starts. Odds are he will move up to Frederick after the 5th start. I've seen him throw once this year, a 3 inning outing, and I plan to see at least one more game he pitches. I think I may wait till one of his 5 inning games.

Our 2nd best pitching prospect, Parker Bridwell, is also on the team and he is starting to have some pretty good outing. I saw him pitch during their 2nd home game and he didn't do to bad. No where near Bundy at this point.

vCash
    I think he will be in Fredrick by June i think DD wants him to work on his change-up down there and plus you don't really wanna rush a talented arm like this.

vCash
    bundy was on the bump again tonight.

4 ip, finally gave up 1 hit. 1 BB, and 4K's. Another nice outing.

Based off the report sounds like he will get stretched out to 5 innings here soon.

vCash
    Dude Is Unhittable. He'll Be Moving Up Within The Month.
    Foam Party!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bdiddy74 View Post
    bundy was on the bump again tonight.

4 ip, finally gave up 1 hit. 1 BB, and 4K's. Another nice outing.

Based off the report sounds like he will get stretched out to 5 innings here soon.
    Bundy will throw one more 4 inning game then three 5 inning games. That's 4 more starts with Delmarva. They have a 6 man rotation so Bundy will be there until the end of May or beginning of June. It's already been said he will make his next 4 starts with the Shorebirds. No one said he will move up after those starts but I think it's pretty much a given he will.

I think he will pitch with Frederick for a couple months then end the season with Bowie. Next year he pitches at Bowie and I have a feeling we will see him with Norfolk. I'd be surprised if we see him in the Majors next year. No sense in rushing him. Give him two full years in the Minors then go from there. Let's not forget he has never thrown more than 80 innings in a year at this point.

vCash
    80 innings. Good point. Just don't get hurt.

vCash
    good start again tonight.

5 IP, 2 hits, 1 unearned run, 3k's, no walks.
    HBP: Pointer (by Bundy).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast