Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Dionysus' plea for help

Height: 6'0''
    Weight: 270

Fitness level (exactly how bad or good of shape are you in):
    I'm in pretty poor shape right now.

Have you ever followed a fitness program before?
    3 years or so ago I weighed 350lbs butt naked and started my own horridly uneducated diet of self starvation and cardio for 2 or 3 months. Then started eating well and lifting along with lots of cardio. Got down to 235-245 in 9-10 months total.

What are your goals?
    I want a good looking physique lol, not trying to be a "freak" like you guys but I wouldn't complain at all if one day I was.

How much time do you have available to dedicate to your goals?
    I have about 2 hours on Mon, Wed, and Fri, 3+ hours on Tue and Thur, and the whole damn day on Sat and Sun

How many days per week?
    All 7

Do you have access to a gym?
    Gym pass to 24

If not do you have access to weights?
    Not at home but at the Gym.

If you are seeking diet advice, please tell us if you have allergies or foods that you do not like.
    I always welcome new advice. No allergies and I hate raw onions with the passion. Not a big fish fan as well.

Are you taking supplements?
    No but that is because I haven't started working out yet. I'd love to hear what you guys think about supps and when I should start taking them. I'll take them day one if you guys say it would be good. (I have a cousin that just bought something called S Roids and he's been able to lift a lot more in only a matter of a couple weeks. If you guys are familiar with that, do you think I should take it? If not what kind of supps should I look at?)

Any injuries?
    I believe I have a torn meniscus in my left knee, I got it awhile back during my heavy cardio days a few years ago. I've never went to the doctor because of insurance purposes.

Sidenote: If you guys need any extra info from me just let me know. I appreciate all the help.

vCash
    The first thing I would do is start tracking everything you eat. You can lift like a maniac and do tons of cardio but the real weight loss results are going to be seen from your diet.

The important things to track are: calories, grams of protein, grams of fat and grams of carbs.

You mentioned it yourself so it sounds like you learned the hard way but starving yourself is not a healthy way to lose weight and can really screw with your metabolism. You want your weight loss to both come from being in a calorie deficit (eating fewer calories than your body burns throughout the day) and also from the calories you burn with activity both lifting and cardio. People who try to only drastically cut their calories deprive their body of what it needs and generally fail due to the unsustainability of the crash diet.

I would start by trying to figure out your maintenance calorie level. How many calories do you need to eat to stay the same weight. Once you get a good idea of that amount cut out 10-20% of those calories. Once you get a good idea of how many calories your goal is focus on getting enough protein and fat. I would try and get at least 200g of protein and 100g of fat per day, the rest can be any combination of fat, protein or carbs that you prefer. Do all this by focusing on good whole unprocessed foods as much as possible.

Then aside from cardio I would strongly recommend do a lifting program like Starting Strength that focuses on compound movements. Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Overhead press and rows/cleans are ALL you need to worry about doing. No need for any iso movement at all.

It's all mental, gotta get the head right and the rest takes care of itself, good luck!

vCash
    DLee is right, lets work on the diet first and foremost. This alone will trim fat! And like i tell everyone, it looks alot harder on paper than it really is to do. The word "Dieting" scares people and discourages them to not want to do it. But in reality, it can be accomplished rather easily without too much sacrifice!

So what can we adjust in your diet? Any and everything! Give us a sample of what a day or week's worth of your diet consists of. Don't forget to include all the good stuff like M&M's and McDonalds!

He can't help you adjust if you hold out on us!

Look forward to your response.
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

vCash
    Mon & Wed: Usually a bowl of Frosted Mini Wheats with a healthy amount of milk in the bowl (around 8am). Then I have class from 10am to 6:30pm with only 10 mins break in between and I can't eat anything until I get home around 7pm. Usually I'm starving so I'll grab a cup of noodles while dinner is being cooked then eat dinner around 8pm. Most of the time followed by having some more of the dinner around 11pm and going to bed around midnight.

Tue & Thur: Usually bowl of Frosted Mini Wheats, plenty of milk (8am). Have class until 1pm. Then I usually eat fast food around 3pm (usually subway, 6'' turkey, American cheese, lettuce, spinach, olive, mustard, oil & vinegar, salt & pepper) but some days I have a 3/4lb bean and cheese burrito or pastrami chili cheese fries (once a month). Then I eat whatever dinner is cooked around 8pm followed by the 11pm leftover meal. Bed around midnight.

Fri, Sat, and Sun: No breakfast, more cup of noodles, (broke college student, F off lol) & dinner around 8pm, leftover snack at 11pm. Be around 2ish.

I do not Drink soda (not for 3+ years now), do not eat processed sugars (candy, ice cream, cake, ect), however I do drink a ton of Arizona green teas or minute maid fruit punch. I drink about 4 cups of water a day, I'll drink a few beers about once a month (Blue Moon or if I'm out half Guiness and half Blue Moon).

My favorite food is hot links and sausages(no homo), which I know those are horrible for me but they are so damn good.

My weight is pretty well maintained right now, I just went through a two month phase where I put on 20lbs but I quit with the sweets again and I haven't gained since.

I imagine that I absolutely need to cut out the Arizona Green Tea's and Fruit punches, along with eating the bean and cheese burritos.

Very little activity is going one during the day as well.

vCash
    Yeah I would stay step one would be to drink more water and eliminate the fruit punch and Arizona tea. If you need flavor look into crystal light zero calorie flavor enhancers - plain water is better but at least you won't be drinking empty calories (no nutritional benefit).

Looks like you are very macro and micro nutrient deficient. Macro in that you are mostly eating carbs and neglecting both dietary fat and protein. Micro because, unless I missed it, I don't see any fruits or vegetables at all.

If losing weight is your only goal then ignore the last paragraph. If losing weight and eating healthy overall is the goal then you need to change a lot in your diet.

vCash
    The fruits and veggies come few and far between. Also forgot to put I drink a boost usually once a day as well.

What would be a decent diet to start out?

My goals is to get a good looking physique, I want to drop the gut for good and be able to see some muscular definition.

vCash
    Well if you are maintaining your weight right now then track everything you eat and find out how many calories you are taking in each day. Based on what you typed it could be anywhere from 2,000 - 5,000 you were very unspecific. Once you know that number I would reduce it by 10-20% and that will be your target calorie total for the day.

Since like you said seeing some muscle is important to you you are going to have to significantly up your protein intake. It should be minimum 200g for you and it may be tough to do so you may need to supplement with protein powder. You should take in at least 100g of fat per day as well.

So to summarize:

Step 1: Find your maintenance calorie level.
    Step 2: Reduce it by 10-20%. This is your target calorie intake.
    Step 3: Create a diet comprised of any foods you like that keep you at your calorie goal for the day AND have a minimum of 200g of protein and 100g of fat.
    Step 4: Do so with unprocessed whole foods as much as possible and try and eat more fruits and vegetables if overall health is a goal as well. If just body composition then do steps 1-3 above.

vCash
    Is there any particular protein shake that you guys would recommend?
    Is Casein better than Whey protein or visa versa?

I'm going to try and add some fruits and veggies in starting today, is steaming veggies the best way to go. Of course I know not cooking them in butter isn't.

I appreciate all the help again.

vCash
    You can absolutely cook them in butter. Butter is fine and a good source of fat which again it looks like you are avoiding. Fat doesn't make you fat it's actually very good for your body.

I boil a bunch of broccoli, carrots, corn or anything I have and then drain the water and throw some butter on and like it a lot. I also eat cucumbers with ranch dressing which I like the taste of and the ranch is another good source of fat.

Protein I would go with Whey and just try and find the cheapest/best deal out there. There is a supplements thread here with guys that are great at finding deals on protein.

vCash
    Whey protein is absorbed by the body within 2-3 hours. Casein is a slower digesting protein and can last anywhere from 4-8 hours. Casein is ideal for bedtime use. You can do a whey/casein blend if you like. The protein I am currently taking called Trutein is a when casein blend, and very good tasting I might add!

vCash
    Steam veggies are good, you can throw some sea salt on them for some flavor (sea salt > regular salt)

vCash
    Just wanted to say that today I have decided to give up all drinks except water along with zero calorie crystal light and mio liquid just to get a little flavor every now and again. I'm also making an attempt to eat more veggies and fruits, along with taking in more protein.

I'm also taking a before picture so that I can look back and laugh at how out of shape I was.

Thank you very much for your advice guys, it is much appreciated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
    Just wanted to say that today I have decided to give up all drinks except water along with zero calorie crystal light and mio liquid just to get a little flavor every now and again. I'm also making an attempt to eat more veggies and fruits, along with taking in more protein.

I'm also taking a before picture so that I can look back and laugh at how out of shape I was.

Thank you very much for your advice guys, it is much appreciated.
    You're more than welcome! Take alot of pics! Like one a week or so, this way you can put together a collage when you are all done.

I am currently doing that myself. I should have it posted hopefully by summer.