Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Which workout regime would you prefer?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • P90x

3 100.00%
  • Insanity

0 0%
    vCash

P90x vs. Insanity

Hello friends,

This summer I am most likely going to embark on a quest involving one of these two workout regimes. I say this summer because I'm still recovering from two torn ligaments in my right ankle (7 weeks, 2 more to go). Before I went down, I was running 2-3 miles/day, 6 days a week. Now, I've been absolutely useless and I hate it. Also, to get a better perspective of me, I'm gonna be 21 in May (rage) and will be entering my senior year of college. Played basketball on the reg in addition to the running before I went crippled. I've lost a lot of muscle weight while I've been sidelined with my injury and have a strong desire to get it back to where it was, while even adding a little bit more.

I'm writing this thread to get an idea if anyone here has used either one of these programs and their results with it, as well as their experience (or if they know of a friend or two that's participated). Also, if you could talk about any sports you play and the benefit received there that'd be nice too. I've read that Insanity is only 60ish days and has a lot to do with your core rather than biceps, in the sense that it's very cardio based. I've heard a lot of good things about that, and that's very appealing to me. Over the past few years at the gym I've really tried to get a solid core but I just can't seem to get it and that is something Insanity appeals to me about. I've heard a lot about P90x as well to not discount it from my final decision, especially cause of the upper body strength I desire. I've never really had a "yoked" upper body but definitely want to get it to the point where you can tell that I've hit the gym a few times.

So basically I'm not really sure which way I want to go for the summer workout.

Also any other additional items you need/recommend to purchase along with the DVD's?

I realize I'll need to get back into a solid workout regime before I start these programs.

Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

#iubb

vCash
    whoa... it's jacquewho?!

vCash
    You can check out my insanity thread, but I'll also say a few other things:

P90x is more for muscle building than insanity is. Insanity is tons and tons of cardio and a lot of plyometrics as well using just your body, whereas P90x uses weights and a few other things. Also, I'm not sure I'd really say that insanity does a better job of building core strength than P90x. The P90x ab workout imo is better than the insanity one, and in general I haven't found the core work for insanity to be as good as I was expecting. However, there was more upper body work than I was expecting as you spend a lot of time in a pushup/plank position or doing pushups or pushup-like drills. For example, in one of the month two workouts you do two sets of 16 pushups three times...yeah, that's 96 pushups in only a couple of minutes in addition to working hard in between them. Most people can't do that, and I still can't even though I can do way more pushups now than when I started.

Also, no, you really don't need to get back into a solid workout routine before starting the programs. I jumped straight into insanity without working out beforehand. Sure, it will help your first week or so suck less, but it isn't really necessary.

The one thing I'd caution you on for insanity is to make sure you always keep your back perfectly straight during the floor touching exercises and stuff like that. I didn't and my back was in a fair bit of pain for a few weeks, and even now another month or so later it's not 100%.

vCash
    P90x is the superior program IMO, and i have heard good things about P90x2 as well.
    COME VISIT THE PSD FITNESS FORUM!!![/B][/CENTER]

vCash
    To be honest, I didn't really benefit from either program (I actually lost muscle). That's probably because I've been lifting for a couple of years prior to starting it and I only started it to prove to a friend that my PRs wouldn't go up on P90x because P90x isn't a strength-building program.

If you want a stronger core/upper body strength, just do compound lifts for 60 days. That'll benefit you more than any exercise in P90x or insanity.

0.02 cents.
    Last edited by Trace; 04-03-2012 at 11:53 PM.

vCash
    Insanity is mainly cardio based and is designed to get people to drop fat. P90X does the same thing except it helps build muscle too.

So it's really your call, do you want to drop weight and look good or do you want to drop weight and add muscle (and look good)?
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

vCash
    Thanks for the feedback guys, it's all greatly appreciated.

One thing I've noticed after looking through a lot of result videos and other comments is that Insanity is kinda designed to trim body fat (like mentioned above), which I don't have much of nor is it a significant priority to cut back on. I'd love to get a solid core (#1 priority) but like many have mentioned, I want to add a decent amount of muscle on the body as well.

I've read a lot of places where people have done the Insanity program first then gone over to P90x afterwards. I'm thinking about doing that with Insanity over the summer then start P90x in the fall once school starts back up. P90x seems to be a bigger time commitment and I don't think I'll be able to put that forward this summer with my internship. Insanity seems a lot more doable/less time consuming.

Again, thanks for the comments. Nymfan87 I've looked in your insanity thread, nice work! Hopefully I def want to put forward the same drive that you show in the thread.

#iubb

vCash
    Anytime JW! Thanks for stopping in!
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

vCash
    My buddy started P90x three weeks ago, and he said he has seen great results already. He is thin, but not toned....beer belly etc.

The text he sent me: I've already gone from **** to pecks in three weeks. This (expletive) is legit.

I might give it a shot at some point before the end of the year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by black1605 View Post
    My buddy started P90x three weeks ago, and he said he has seen great results already. He is thin, but not toned....beer belly etc.

The text he sent me: I've already gone from **** to pecks in three weeks. This (expletive) is legit.

I might give it a shot at some point before the end of the year.
    For the average joe, it is probably the best overall program for getting in shape.
    YES. WE. DID.