Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Pirates Home Stand: 5/19 - 5/27

Home Cooking Against Some Non-Division Foes

VS

Lineup

Rotation

Last edited by burgh_fan66; 05-19-2015 at 04:40 PM.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

With all due respect to the upcoming teams on the schedule, some of which are really fine baseball teams, the next 28 games for the Pirates isn't exactly a murders row. Simply put now is the time to finally distance ourselves from mediocre and start to look like the true good baseball team we are.

Quote Originally Posted by burgh_fan66 View Post
    With all due respect to the upcoming teams on the schedule, some of which are really fine baseball teams, the next 28 games for the Pirates isn't exactly a murders row. Simply put now is the time to finally distance ourselves from mediocre and start to look like the true good baseball team we are.
    Honestly this is where we need to get hot and win like 20/28 to really get our record above 500 and to catch up to St Louis and pass Chicago.

Pirates will likely call up a position player tomorrow to replace Boscan. Its not immediately clear who that is going to be. Lambo and Decker would be the obvious choices but both appear to still be nursing injuries. Tony Sanchez and Elias Diaz are both on the 40 man roster but a 3rd catcher would appear to be an odd choice right now. Alen Hanson is on the 40 man roster but he surely isn't getting the call and Lombardozzi was sent down recently enough that it can't be him.

Looking at the AAA roster we can quickly eliminate Wilkin Castillo, Gustavo Nunez and Andy Vasquez as they are just upper level depth. So that leaves Pedro Florimon, Brent Morel, Hunter Morris, Deibinson Romero, Gorkys Herandnez, Mel Rojas and Jose Tabata as position players currently on the AAA roster. Morris doesn't seem to know how to swing a bat at the moment so lets say he is out. Florimon is out of options and I doubt the Pirates would want to expose him to waivers again for such a short term need. Of the outfielders I'd guess Tabata would be the top choice and of Morel/Romero I've seen nothing to indicate their preference still isn't Morel.

So those two appear to be the top candidates off the AAA roster. There is also Justin Sellers who is on the DL but should be coming off soon as he has been rehabbing but he hasn't played since April 26th for some reason.
    Last edited by burgh_fan66; 05-18-2015 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by burgh_fan66 View Post
    Pirates will likely call up a position player tomorrow to replace Boscan. Its not immediately clear who that is going to be. Lambo and Decker would be the obvious choices but both appear to still be nursing injuries. Tony Sanchez and Elias Diaz are both on the 40 man roster but a 3rd catcher would appear to be an odd choice right now. Alen Hanson is on the 40 man roster but he surely isn't getting the call and Lombardozzi was sent down recently enough that it can't be him.

Looking at the AAA roster we can quickly eliminate Wilkin Castillo, Gustavo Nunez and Andy Vasquez as they are just upper level depth. So that leaves Pedro Florimon, Brent Morel, Hunter Morris, Deibinson Romero, Gorkys Herandnez, Mel Rojas and Jose Tabata as position players currently on the AAA roster. Morris doesn't seem to know how to swing a bat at the moment so lets say he is out. Florimon is out of options and I doubt the Pirates would want to expose him to waivers again for such a short term need. Of the outfielders I'd guess Tabata would be the top choice and of Morel/Romero I've seen nothing to indicate their preference still isn't Morel.

So those two appear to be the top candidates off the AAA roster. There is also Justin Sellers who is on the DL but should be coming off soon as he has been rehabbing but he hasn't played since April 26th for some reason.
    When do you think or do you think Hurdle will make Kang the starter over jordy full time?

Pirates Home Stand: 5/19 - 5/27

I'm not so sure we will see anything official in that regard for a while but Kang started both games this weekend so he seems to slowly taking the spot.

Morton has to be close right any idea when he will be up this week maybe? He's thrown 2 games right?

I think he'll start the first game against the Marlins.

Wilfredo Boscan was officially optioned to AAA. I had kind of expected him to be DFA'd to create a 40 man spot as if the Pirates are going to call up a player on the 40 man roster it really is going to have to be Tony Sanchez.

One possibility to open up a 40 man spot though would be to place Justin Sellers on the 60 day DL. He was placed on the 15 day DL retroactive to March 27th so today is already day 54 so it would be basically a paper move.

Jose Tabata is back in the majors. As I thought the corresponding 40 man move was the paper move of moving Sellers to the 60 day DL.

Nothing official but its beginning to look like Kang is now the regular at short.

Polanco 9
    Walker 4
    McCutchen 8
    Marte 7
    Kang 6
    Alvarez 3
    Harrison 5
    Cervelli 2
    Liriano 1

Meh all around.

Can't believe Liriano laid that dud

Was at the game tonight. As soon as Liriano hit Santana in the 2nd, I turned to my gf and said "watch, we're going to get blown out tonight." It was obvious that he was way, way off tonight and while we didn't get blown out in the final score, Liriano never gave us a chance to win.

Another interesting thing was the ovation Tabata got. The crowd wasn't that large, but for the size (and considering the player), it was actually quite loud. I found it pretty surprising

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk27 View Post
    Was at the game tonight. As soon as Liriano hit Santana in the 2nd, I turned to my gf and said "watch, we're going to get blown out tonight." It was obvious that he was way, way off tonight and while we didn't get blown out in the final score, Liriano never gave us a chance to win.

Another interesting thing was the ovation Tabata got. The crowd wasn't that large, but for the size (and considering the player), it was actually quite loud. I found it pretty surprising
    You were supposed to bring us good luck.

Hopefully Locke can help us split this short set before yet another off day. Such an odd quirk in the schedule every year when this happens.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast