Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    vCash
    don't get me wrong, beldugo, i like the 'a' as much as the next guy. but when i started following the braves, they had the screaming savage as their logo on their everyday uniforms. it's more nostalgia to me.

some people don't like reminders of ugly bits in american history. we've had times of inhumane treatment of groups of people. but this has nothing to do with that. the term 'racist' is being thrown around because people can't separate 'brave' from 'native american.' no one is suggesting that all native americans were 'bloodthirsty' or 'savage' or 'barbaric' or 'maniacal'... but we are named after the class of native americans that did that kind of stuff. it's not bigotry or racist or stereotyping... it's descriptive and more of an homage to native americans.

samanjerry, i see your position and where you're coming from, i just don't think it's at play here. you don't hear any whining about the YANKEES. many people today consider the word 'yankee' a bad word and new york wears the name with pride. this uniform thing that will be worn sporadically at best is a non-issue.
    Last edited by chipurmunki; 12-27-2012 at 02:38 PM.
    HAWKS 13 PREMIERS

"We're under a level-5 quarantine, so I'm just gonna have to stripsearch you girls!"
    -Portman

vCash
    chip i know what youre trying to say and youre not a racist.
    and i am taking the side of the more sensitive. and i would probably be less mad about this move if they HAD to illustrate a warrior "show a 'brave' you have to show a native american warrior"

then why not update it to a more respectable image and not go back to the "screaming savage"?

all i know is that these people were and are still being wronged, why upset them even just a little bit. its not about the rest of us and our feelings
    .................................................. ..................................

vCash
    i dont think its racist,
    but it is stupid.
    ATL keep up with the times and people
    .................................................. ..................................

vCash
    it is a terrible shame that they're being wronged. it's easy for me to sit here and type that i don't think it's offensive, when it very well could spark a controversy among native americans. see, i look at the screaming savage knowing full well that it is not representative of all NAs. i'm familiar enough with history and native american cultures to appreciate their lifestyles and philosophy and culture. it's a huge shame that some people limit their NA exposure to baseball caps.

on the other hand, though, if we were to use an image of a native american, it should be a fierce one, no?
    HAWKS 13 PREMIERS

"We're under a level-5 quarantine, so I'm just gonna have to stripsearch you girls!"
    -Portman

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by samanjerry View Post
    chip i know what youre trying to say and youre not a racist.
    and i am taking the side of the more sensitive. and i would probably be less mad about this move if they HAD to illustrate a warrior "show a 'brave' you have to show a native american warrior"

then why not update it to a more respectable image and not go back to the "screaming savage"?

all i know is that these people were and are still being wronged, why upset them even just a little bit. its not about the rest of us and our feelings
    Yeah, now i understand your point, is probably a stupid move from the braves part because if using that logo could offense people they shouldn't be using it.

vCash
    I just found out our "rival" this year is Toronto. The way the geography now splits with Houston going to the AL makes us not close to another rival, just like Toronto. I'm happy we don't have Boston anymore, but its a strange matchup, perhaps the most forced "rivalry".

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314