Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thomas Robinson

vCash

Thomas Robinson

I know it's generally pretty risky to pick the hometown player but I think Thomas Robinson is the guy the Wizards should have highest on their board. Besides his accomplishments at the highest level of college ball, I think he already has a maturity that dwarfs anything Nick Young, Javale McGee and Andray Blatche could even dream about. I just think he's exactly the kind of player the Wizards never seem to get. A fully-formed young MAN with a good head on his shoulders. He'd also immediately take the franchise player role that it doesn't seem John Wall is ready to assume just yet, which would probably allow him to blossom.

We gotta get this kid. This is the one time I don't want the Wiz to pick first.

From Hoopsworld.com's Joel Brigham:
    While I don’t believe Thomas Robinson will necessarily be the second player picked in this June’s draft, I do think he has an excellent chance to end up the second-best player of the entire class. It’s not that Michael Kidd-Gilchrist won’t be a great supporting player, or that Bradley Beal won’t be a productive scorer for his entire career, or that Andre Drummond won’t be big and tall and intimidating on the defensive end. It’s just that Robinson has the best combination of proven ability and untapped potential this side of Anthony Davis, and that, in my opinion, gives him the best chance at becoming a star.
    And from Alex Raskin also of Hoopsworld:
    ...now that more talent evaluators are seeing him in person, however, it turns out that he is every bit of his listed height and he’s just scratching the surface of his talent. Robinson barely shot 3-pointers with the Jayhawks (although he made 50% of his attempts last year), and now that he’s getting a chance he’s showing everyone just how good of a shooter he can be. Robinson possesses a lot of skills that that prototypical "stretch 4s" posses, but he also combines that with excellent athleticism, a 7-1 wingspan and a high motor that all coaches love. Outside of Kentucky’s Anthony Davis, there might not be a better combination of proven ability and upside in this draft than Robinson. Connecticut center Andre Drummond will be taken ahead of Robinson simply because of upside, but Robinson is a safe pick, particularly for a team like the Washington Wizards, who may already have their center in Nene Hilario.
    Last edited by NotoriousREG; 05-28-2012 at 05:28 AM. Reason: added quotes/links

vCash
    Robinson would undoubtly be a great addition however with nene booker serph and vesely I feel they'll go for a wing such as mkg or beal but I'd love any of them

vCash
    Yes they do have Vesely and Booker but are either of those guys franchise players? I think they're both nice complementary pieces.

vCash
    Draft MKG or Barnes. Thomas Robinson won't be a difference maker down the road.

vCash
    Something tells me Ted is going to do "the right thing to do"

[QUOTE]
    How could he? It was last year, on Jan. 21, 2011, that Robinson's cellphone famously buzzed with a voice mail from his then-seven-year-old sister, Jayla, back home in Washington, D.C. A return call confirmed the worst: their mother, Lisa, had died late that night of an apparent heart attack. A single mom, Lisa was just 43. In the six weeks prior, the Robinson siblings had already lost their maternal grandmother and their maternal grandfather. Soon Kansas coaches, teammates and four teammates' mothers converged upon that living room in Robinson and Johnson's two-bedroom suite. The whole scene, Kansas coach Bill Self would say, "was the saddest thing I've ever seen in my life."

PAPI SMASH!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John Walls Era View Post
    Draft MKG or Barnes. Thomas Robinson won't be a difference maker down the road.
    I would lean more toward MKG or Robinson. Barnes did not perform when the pressure was on this year. He had a big spotlight on him and under performed all year. To me this just says there is a small chance he might do the same when he gets the spotlight of the NBA on him. MKG and Robinson performed all year long on talented teams. Both MKG and RObinson bring that toughness that the Wizards need. I just don't see that with Barnes.

I am a huge Tarheel fan too.

vCash
    Everyone seems to think the Wiz will draft a wing player but you do realize we have spent multiple first round picks on the SF position over the last two years? Vesely is a SF and so is Chris Singleton. Meanwhile Nene is often injured, Booker is a bit undersized despite his strength, Baltche should be amnestied in the offseason and Seraphin is still a project. PF is going to be a bigger need this offseason than SF and I agree that Robinson is probably the right man for the position.

I don't see him as a "face of the franchise" type of player though. I see him as a Kenyon Martin type of guy. Very athletic, great rebounder, is a full grown man physically, will score you right around 15 points a game but isn't very polished on offense and will never really be a go to option on that side of the ball.

Wall is going to be the face of the franchise. I know he hasn't exactly stepped up into that roll this year but he's still only like 20 years old, had no offseason with his team last year because of the lockout and has been beaten down all year being on the 2nd worst team in the NBA. Not to mention the massive turnover in players since the season began. Give him one more year and and off-season around his coaches to see how things go next year.

vCash
    I would be happy with Robinson or Kidd-Gilchrist. I think John might leave after next year if we don't make a push for the 8th seed next year. I'm also furious that they gave Ernie Grunfield an extension; he doesn't make any moves whatsoever in the off-season.
    Signature.

vCash
    If we don't get a top 3 pick, I think Sullinger could be an option at PF. I see him as a solid inside presence and likely the best rebounder in this draft class. Reminds me of an Elton Brand and a nice piece. Add Gordon or Mayo and you have a decent team to work with. We obviously need a SG. Crawford is not the answer.

vCash
    MKG or Barnes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TChef02 View Post
    Everyone seems to think the Wiz will draft a wing player but you do realize we have spent multiple first round picks on the SF position over the last two years? Vesely is a SF and so is Chris Singleton. Meanwhile Nene is often injured, Booker is a bit undersized despite his strength, Baltche should be amnestied in the offseason and Seraphin is still a project. PF is going to be a bigger need this offseason than SF and I agree that Robinson is probably the right man for the position.

I don't see him as a "face of the franchise" type of player though. I see him as a Kenyon Martin type of guy. Very athletic, great rebounder, is a full grown man physically, will score you right around 15 points a game but isn't very polished on offense and will never really be a go to option on that side of the ball.

Wall is going to be the face of the franchise. I know he hasn't exactly stepped up into that roll this year but he's still only like 20 years old, had no offseason with his team last year because of the lockout and has been beaten down all year being on the 2nd worst team in the NBA. Not to mention the massive turnover in players since the season began. Give him one more year and and off-season around his coaches to see how things go next year.
    i agree 100%. you have two young small forwards. let them develop and sign a solid vet as a stop gap and hope the young guys over acheive. i personally think if they can trade back for two lottery pick you do it but robinson and davis are growing on me. there are some nice young PF's in freeagency though. so i think you weigh your options there. if you are set on taking a SF of the future and you can move back to the 4 and pick up a late first along with that, then do it. but if no great moves pop up for the wiz then its time for them to take the best player avalable. i mean really the only two for sure starters are nene and wall any one else can and should be moved to the bench if a better option pops up. so if its a PF, SF, or a SG, you take the best player on the board if you can not make a good move to up your number of pics in the first round. so yeah im cool with robinson at 2 but, he could potentially fall to 4 as well. it just all depends.

also just to add that gordan should not be touched with a 10 foot stick. i mean really your going to have to give him max to get him from the hornets and the guy is injury pron. let some one else blow there money. go for mayo he will be a cheeper more reliable option.
    Last edited by gambitx777; 05-08-2012 at 05:25 PM.

vCash
    Actually for those of you who want to draft a shooting guard. I think 2 is too high to take Bradley Beal in a draft that is actually pretty 2guard deep. Let's say the Wiz end up 2 or 3 and T.Rob is there, take him and pray that Evan Fournier manages to slip by the Spurs or one of the playoff calibre teams and into the Wizards' lap in the second round:

http://youtu.be/HqfjKMX5_0M

May I call attention to the look on his face in these highlights, dude is clearly having fun out there.
    Last edited by NotoriousREG; 05-25-2012 at 04:54 AM.

vCash
    well, we have to pick the best player available, with a top3 pick, we cant just select a guy just because he fits a need when there is another elite player available....

the elite talent out there is Davis, MKG, Robinson, and Beal....i expect Davis and MKG to go 1+2 just because jordan is not going to take any chances when MKG is the best defender and hardest worker available.....

that leaves us with robinson , who even though undersized at 6'9, is a nightly double double and instant production and bradley beal, who is an elite scorer compared to ray allen and a pretty good athelete.....

i think its a bit of dropoff after that...... IMO the best player after that is Sullinger just because of the post game and the effort on the glass..... we cant go after guys like drummond and PJ3 because we just got rid of guys that were like that....

harrison barnes would come into mind, but i think he has fallen too much to take a chance on

vCash

Thomas Robinson

I think we have to take beal, we need a scorer/shooter to complement wall in the backcourt

vCash
    I'm told the Wizards are big fans of Robinson, who could make an immediate impact in the frontcourt.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...&sct=hp_t11_a0

PAPI SMASH!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast