Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 68 of 73 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1091
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Yes and there are several reasons

(1) It isn't an option to everybody. Fighter A in Colorado can legally be prescribed and use Marijuana. While Fighter B in Tennessee doesn't have the same option. There is much debate and impact on a fighters abilities which some saying it helps in certain areas (settles focus and nerves, ability to take pain and cutting weight) but hurts in other areas (slowed reflexes).

(2) The sport still has a negative perception among people in some areas. It is even still banned in some states. What message does that send that they are willing to turn their backs on any illegal drug use?

(3) This isn't basketball. This isn't golf. This is a combat sport with trained athletes going out and punching and kicking each other in the head trying to knock their opponent unconscious. I don't think that its unreasonable to ask for everybody to be in the same state of mind in such an event.

(4) It is protecting everybody involved physically and legally. Imagine if a fighter goes out there and gets beat on for 3 rounds and ends up dying from brain damage following the fight. The autopsy shows that he had marijuana in his system. What do you think they are gonna say in the media? It would cause a terrible perception on the sport and possibly also lawsuits.
    il address each point.
    ok i think its safe to say you dont smoke weed. unless you've done something you simply cant talk about. i get high before i workout ( believe me or dont) so do a lot of mma fighters the obvious one being diaz. now name one one match where you thought hmmm diaz sure looks slow from that weed he smokes. you cant. stop using the slow reflexes argument, once you build up your tolerance you can do anything high that you could sober. also its not like they're high before the fights lol. besides its none of your business man, if i wanna smoke weed and it makes me slow why do you care? you dont think fighters get drunk? fact, the body takes about 2 weeks to fully recover from a hangover yet alcohol isnt tested.

i think it sends a very good message, a progressive anti ignorant message if the ufc decides to stop testing for it.

football is more dangerous than mma no? yet i would guess 40-50% of nfl players smoke weed and again what ****en difference does it make man? harvin is a one of the most explosive players in the league and smokes weed. has his speed slowed down since college? im sure he smoked in high school too. basketball takes more coordination than mma imo and yet everything seems to going just fine over there. NOTHING WOULD CHANGE IN THE UFC EXCEPT GUYS WOULDNT GET SUSPENDED.

how so? if a guy goes out and gets his head smashed in and gets brain damage ( which never happened so far ) and it shows he had cannabis in his system in the autopsy then SO WHATTTT. has nothing to do with anything, its much worse to have alcohol in his system but thats not illegal thats the difference.

the fact that weed still isnt fully legal even though an estimated 50 million people smoke it in the us is criminal. its amazing to me what opinions they still have about weed.

vCash
    SB Nation MMA top 10 list is a huge joke...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tnewkirk View Post
    Words.
    There is nothing progressive about testing/not testing for narcotics in any professional sport. The only progressive thing happening regarding drug regulation is the growing wave of decriminalization of the recreational use of certain substances. This is largely heralded as an austerity measure that also lessens the burden on the criminal justice system.

The NBA has foregone certain tests as a business decision, not as a response to any belief, study, or myth surrounding certain drug use. Similar decisions have been made by numerous professional leagues regarding the adaption of anti-doping regulations surrounding HGH and many other controlled substances.

There are plenty of myths surrounding the impact of certain drugs with relation to sporting performance, yet when the drug use involves potentially violating the law, banning a substances is a simple decision to make from both a liability standpoint as well as the social responsibility of the organization.
    Last edited by TopsyTurvy; 11-28-2012 at 04:17 AM.

vCash
    Johny Hendricks saying he isn't gonna fight until he gets his title shot.

http://www.cagepotato.com/johny-hend...or-title-shot/

WoW. Former TUF contestant Frank Lester hits a female fighter at a weigh-in scuffle and is facing assault charges....

http://www.fightline.com/fl/wire/201...re73361/44713/

vCash

WoW. Former TUF contestant Frank Lester hits a female fighter at a weigh-in scuffle and is facing assault charges....

The fighter he punched is pretty hot. Cassie Crisano

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sportscrazy34 View Post
    The fighter he punched is pretty hot. Cassie Crisano
    Looks like a mix of Meisha Tate and Gina Carano. Want....

vCash

Somebody call Maury!

Seriously though, these professionals/amateur fighters shouldn't need to be told that judges will often find that their fists and feet are lethal weapons. So dumb...

Regardless, it's a hell of a way to promote a fight. One's a hotty, the other will spit in your face.

vCash
    Dominick Cruz can't catch a break, he had another surgery and will be out for 6-9 months.

While it sucks for Cruz, this means that Barao will have no option but to defend the interim belt. The most likely opponent is McDonald and that's a fight that should be very entertaining.

In related news, Faber is fighting Menjivar, that's a way better fight than the one rumored last week about Faber fighting Lee Vaughan.

You also have Easton fighting this week, if he beats Assuncao and Faber beats Menjivar, I could see the UFC matching them for a #1 contender fight.
    -----

vCash
    The Ultimate Fighter is moving to Tuesday night in 2013.

http://www.fightline.com/fl/news/201...857/jon-jones/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockturnal View Post
    In related news, Faber is fighting Menjivar, that's a way better fight than the one rumored last week about Faber fighting Lee Vaughan.

You also have Easton fighting this week, if he beats Assuncao and Faber beats Menjivar, I could see the UFC matching them for a #1 contender fight.
    If Faber loses is he still a relevant fighter or just a face/gateway fighter? I mean that with all the respect in the world - he's accomplished quite a bit and helped usher the featherweight/bantamweight class into existence.

vCash
    The Ultimate Fighter is moving to Tuesday night in 2013.

http://www.fightline.com/fl/news/201...857/jon-jones/
    About time cause I like watching gold rush more... Though on Tuesdays Tosh.O is on.

New York Yankees

Dallas Mavericks

New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    HW: Brock "The White Gorilla"Lesnar
    MW: Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida
    WW: Jonny "BIGG RIGG" hendricks
    LW: Nate Diaz
    FLW: John "The Magician" Dodson
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.
    Favorite Athletes: Dirk Nowitzki, Brock Lesnar & Lyoto Machida

vCash
    Stefan Struve vs. Mark Hunt targeted for UFC on FUEL TV 8 in Japan

A heavyweight bout between Stefan Struve (25-5 MMA, 9-3 UFC) and Mark Hunt (8-7 MMA, 3-1 UFC) is expected to be part of March's UFC on FUEL TV 8 event in Japan.

Sources close to the event told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) verbal agreements are in place for the fight.

UFC on FUEL TV 8 takes place March 3 at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan. Following Facebook prelims, the night's main card airs on FUEL TV (on March 2 in the U.S. due to the time difference).

Struve vs. Hunt likely will take a featured spot on the main card.

Struve and Hunt initially were slated to fight in May at UFC 146, but Hunt was forced off the card with a knee injury a week before the pay-per-view event.

Struve went on to beat replacement Lavar Johnson at UFC 146, and then he headlined UFC on FUEL TV 5 and knocked out Stipe Miocic. The 7-foot Dutchman now has won four straight fights and six of his past seven, all via stoppage and all in the UFC.

Hunt, meanwhile, is in the midst of a career resurgence. Since a six-fight losing skid, which included a series of PRIDE fights and a UFC-debut loss to Sean McCorkle, the New Zealander has posted consecutive wins over Chris Tuchscherer, Ben Rothwell and Cheick Kongo. However, he faces a 13-month injury layoff when he finally fights Struve.

As MMAjunkie.com recently reported, Diego Sanchez (23-5 MMA, 12-5 UFC) recently hinted he may fight fellow lightweight Takanori Gomi (34-8 MMA, 3-3 UFC) at UFC on FUEL TV 8.
    I highly doubt Struve will keep the fight standing, because if McCorkle can sub Hunt, Struve should have no problem.

But with a guy like Hunt, he will always have a punchers chance, I just don't see it happening.
    -----

vCash
    Cyborg shoots down 157 fight. Tate or McMann likely imo.

Melendez may move to FW

Forrest out

vCash
    diaz to get the next shot at gsp, i like it http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-ca...2590--mma.html

vCash
    I'm not sure what to make of that fight.

On one hand GSP vs Diaz is going to be great, Diaz seems to bring out the bad guy in GSP and that can only mean good things for us fans.

But on the other, I view MMA as a sport and giving a fighter coming off a loss a title shot isn't fair.

I guess I should be used to it, is not the first time and it won't be the last. The UFC does a good job as a whole, but it's obvious that if there's a money fight to be made, that takes precedence over anything else.
    -----

Page 68 of 73 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast