Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 57 of 73 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Here's something to keep an eye on. I talked about this on TUF 16 thread, but Fox and MLB have reached a new deal, which means Fox is closer to a Sports network (like ESPN) and that's good news for the UFC.

Baseball hits it out of park with new Fox, TBS and ESPN TV deals

Major League Baseball hit a grand slam with its new TV rights deals.

Under the terms of its freshly signed eight-year agreements, Walt Disney Co.'s ESPN, News Corp.'s Fox and Time Warner Inc.'s TBS will pay a combined $12.4 billion--about twice as much as what baseball received for television rights in previous contracts.

"This is a remarkable day for baseball," Major League Baseball commissioner Allan "Bud" Selig said in a conference call Tuesday.

The new contracts take effect at the start of the 2014 season and run through 2021. Fox's rights fees will go from a per-season average of about $257 million to $495 million. Turner's rights will increase from $150 million to $325 million per season. ESPN previously agreed to an increase from $350 million per season to $700 million.

The deal also clears the way for Fox to use baseball for a new national sports cable channel it is planning to launch in the summer of 2013. Fox's pact with baseball allows it to put as many as 40 games on a nationally distributed cable channel starting in 2014. Fox also received broad rights to baseball highlights that could be used for a sports news program similar to ESPN's "SportsCenter."

While Fox has declined to comment on its planned channel, people familiar with the matter said the company will convert its niche sports channel called Speed into a broad-based sports network.

Besides baseball, Fox will also put NASCAR racing, college football, soccer and Ultimate Fighting on its cable channel. The working name for the channel is Fox Sports 1.

"There will be a lot of things to come in the not too distant future," said Fox Sports Media Group Co-President Randy Freer.

Both Fox and TBS will continue to carry regular season baseball and the majority of postseason baseball. Fox retained the rights to the World Series, the All-Star Game, one league championship series and added two division series starting in 2014. TBS kept the rights to one league championship and two division series. ESPN and TBS will each also carry the new wild card games.

As part of the deal, Fox, ESPN and TBS now also have the ability to stream games online. However, consumers will have to already be subscribers to a pay-TV distributor in order to watch games online. "This is an essential part of our overall programming strategy," said Turner Sports President David Levy.

For consumers, the pricey new deals will likely mean bigger bills. Fox, TBS and ESPN all charge cable and satellite operators to carry their programming. The more they spend on sports, the higher the license fee to distributors who then try to recoup those costs by raising prices to their customers.

"Most costs ultimately get passed onto the consumer," said Jimmy Schaeffler, president of the Carmel Group, a cable industry consulting firm.

Given the popularity of sports programming, it is unlikely that rights fees will be decreasing any time soon. Last year, the NFL renewed its deals with CBS, NBC, ESPN and Fox and landed large rights fees increases.

Media consultant Chris Bevilacqua said the issue isn't necessarily sports, which does well in the ratings, but other channels that do not perform.

"There has to be an adjustment as to how distributors and programmers allocate value," said Bevilacqua. "Right now, you have a lot of subscriber costs put against channels nobody watches."

One of the issues, though, is how channels are sold. Programmers package popular channels with less popular ones rather than sell networks on an individual basis. That practice is known in the industry as bundling and it is becoming a lightning rod for distributors, programmers and consumer activists.

"There has to be a rationalization here by the system," said Bevilacqua. "Everybody has an interest in keeping the customer happy."
    -----

vCash
    Fox's rights fees will go from a per-season average of about $257 million to $495 million.
    That is the only thing that worries me.... They are paying nearly twice as much as under their old contract per season. They are gonna want to make that money back as soon as possible and hopefully it doesn't mean us having to pay for this channel.

vCash
    for some reason i thought bigfoot was gonna look a lot bigger than travis, but no brown is pretty big as well.

wrong thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    That is the only thing that worries me.... They are paying nearly twice as much as under their old contract per season. They are gonna want to make that money back as soon as possible and hopefully it doesn't mean us having to pay for this channel.
    Fees are going to go up, no way around it. I doubt it's going to be like Fuel where you have to get a sports package just to get it (at least that's how you get it if you have TWC).
    -----

vCash
    Just bought tickets for UFC on FOX 5
    Seattle, WA KEY ARENA

Each ticket was $220
    Section 107
    Row 1
    Seats 1+2

Good fair or bad deal?

Link shows seating chart

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0F...3E55D35&full=1
    Last edited by Thumper 88; 10-05-2012 at 01:43 PM.

New York Yankees

Dallas Mavericks

New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    HW: Brock "The White Gorilla"Lesnar
    MW: Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida
    WW: Jonny "BIGG RIGG" hendricks
    LW: Nate Diaz
    FLW: John "The Magician" Dodson
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.
    Favorite Athletes: Dirk Nowitzki, Brock Lesnar & Lyoto Machida

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockturnal View Post
    Fees are going to go up, no way around it. I doubt it's going to be like Fuel where you have to get a sports package just to get it (at least that's how you get it if you have TWC).
    On Direct it is part of a package that has like 20 channels. Which is something I always think about when they talk about increased viewership is that Fuel is often bundled with a bunch of other channels so its really not like people are going out and just getting the Fuel channel. For example like in my case I got the package and it wasn't even for the Fuel channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 88 View Post
    Just bought tickets for UFC on FOX 5
    Seattle, WA KEY ARENA

Each ticket was $220
    Section 107
    Row 1
    Seats 1+2

Good fair or bad deal?

Link shows seating chart

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0F...3E55D35&full=1
    Considering the card I think those are pretty good for the price.

vCash
    Who is the most dangerous heavyweight in the UFC? According to Travis Browne the answer is..... Travis Browne.

I think out of the guys in the top ten, Im probably the scariest one of them. My size is a danger, my power and my athletic ability, explained the 67″ Browne in an interview with MMAFighting. I think I pose the most danger in that division. Cain, with his grinding ability, hes the one who for me poses the biggest threat.
    http://www.fightline.com/fl/wire/201...re62795/41294/

vCash
    On Direct it is part of a package that has like 20 channels. Which is something I always think about when they talk about increased viewership is that Fuel is often bundled with a bunch of other channels so its really not like people are going out and just getting the Fuel channel. For example like in my case I got the package and it wasn't even for the Fuel channel.

Considering the card I think those are pretty good for the price.

I tried telling that to my wife but she didnt buy it lol

Here I come dog house, but hey I got me some tickets to my first ever UFC event!

New York Yankees

Dallas Mavericks

New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.

vCash
    I tried telling that to my wife but she didnt buy it lol

Here I come dog house, but hey I got me some tickets to my first ever UFC event!
    IMO its not even worth going if you don't get good seats. Because think about it with it only being two guys in a cage if you are so far away then you are pretty much gonna be watching on the overhead 90% of the time anyways. And if that is the case then why even go?

I've been to two UFC events and one Strikeforce event and where you sit makes all the difference in the world. Not only the actual location of the seats but also the people you sit around as well. But you have no control of that aspect.

You got good seats and a good card which is more than what many people that have bought tickets in the past have been able to say.

vCash
    And man are those guys clever putting Batista in his mma debut against Rashid Evans.... I had a friend text me a couple hours go "holy hell dude Batista is in mma now and fighting Rashad Evans!!!!"

vCash
    Fights canceled..I had a friend do the samw though.

vCash
    IMO its not even worth going if you don't get good seats. Because think about it with it only being two guys in a cage if you are so far away then you are pretty much gonna be watching on the overhead 90% of the time anyways. And if that is the case then why even go?

I've been to two UFC events and one Strikeforce event and where you sit makes all the difference in the world. Not only the actual location of the seats but also the people you sit around as well. But you have no control of that aspect.

You got good seats and a good card which is more than what many people that have bought tickets in the past have been able to say.
    That puts my nerves at ease... I was stressin about where to sit and wanted really good seats for a fair price I could afford... Since Ive never been to a event I was shooting in the dark. I hope there isnt a tall fker in my way lol

New York Yankees

Dallas Mavericks

New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.

vCash
    That puts my nerves at ease... I was stressin about where to sit and wanted really good seats for a fair price I could afford... Since Ive never been to a event I was shooting in the dark. I hope there isnt a tall fker in my way lol
    True story. I went to a WWE Raw event about 10 years ago or so and there was this group of college guys in the front of our row that had these huge paper banners that they were holding up. Everybody for about 3 rows behind them couldn't see and my row was just above so that we could see but everybody in front of us was pissed off. It gets about halfway through the event and Kane comes out and all these people have lighters during his intro. So this guy that has complained to security like twice already looks back at this guy sitting next to us and asks if he can borrow the lighter.

He takes the lighter and sets their wax paper banner on fire....

vCash
    haha

New York Yankees

Dallas Mavericks

New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.

vCash
    And man are those guys clever putting Batista in his mma debut against Rashid Evans.... I had a friend text me a couple hours go "holy hell dude Batista is in mma now and fighting Rashad Evans!!!!"
    LOL yea I noticed that too. On the poster It will be Batista vs. Rashid Evans, they won't even take out his first name.

Strikeforce tried pulling the same thing with Caros Fodor.

Page 57 of 73 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast