Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Was the Pronger trade worth it?

I am starting to wonder if the Chris Pronger trade was worth it for the Flyers. I know he is such a force on D and has a leadership presence, but he is definitely starting to show his age and wearing down. Here is how the trade went down.

Flyers receives:
    Chris Pronger, prospect Ryan Dingle

Anaheim receives:
    Joffrey Lupul
    Luca Sbisa
    2009 1st round pick (#21-John Moore)
    2010 1st round pick (#29-Emerson Etem)

Who do you think got the better end of the deal looking back?
    Last edited by Phillyfan723; 04-01-2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: missed names

vCash
    In a word no. Sbisa is a nice young d-man for Anaheim. I think the Ducks got the better end of it because they have a d-man to build around for the future. But who knows if we acquire Grossman who has been phenomenal for us.
    Last edited by ryguy553; 04-01-2012 at 03:42 PM.

vCash
    If he was healthy yes. Right now no. Hopefully we can get rid of his contract because if we cant it will be a real disadvantage for years to come.

I don't think it is something worth regretting though, we got unlucky with him facing a career ending injury. Sometimes luck falls your way and sometimes it doesn't.

vCash
    Yes. It was then, it still is now. No one could have seen the concussion issue coming, so you can't really factor that in. Pronger was having a great season prior to it. Sbisa is nice and all but Lupul left in FA and didn't do anything for them (before a big breakout season this year) and those prospects they got aren't great.
    Don't give up on us now...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Henry, House of Burgess, 1775
    Give me the playoffs...or give me death!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Yes. It was then, it still is now. No one could have seen the concussion issue coming, so you can't really factor that in. Pronger was having a great season prior to it. Sbisa is nice and all but Lupul left in FA and didn't do anything for them (before a big breakout season this year) and those prospects they got aren't great.
    Etem is going to be pretty good. He was supposed to be a high pick but dropped to 29th.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy553 View Post
    Etem is going to be pretty good. He was supposed to be a high pick but dropped to 29th.
    I think this is people overreacting to a guy slipping down the boards. Etem has very poor skating technique. You put that technique up against the big boys and watch him suffer for it.

Etem is a 3rd liner and PK player, I think. He's also among the older players in the Canadian Juniors, as he's 20 years old this season, so his numbers are of course, going to look really strong.

vCash
    How amazing was that 2010 playoff run? That should just about answer your question

City of Brotherly Love

vCash
    We could argue for days about this. We have actually. And most people that remember know my stance. I regret it. And just that they got Etem makes it much worse.

vCash
    how is this even a question? He only had a couple seasons of play before injuries most likely cut his career short, and in those couple seasons, he didn't bring a cup to philly.

The only debate is his long term leadership impact on the younger guys, making them better players forever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Stevens View Post
    how is this even a question? He only had a couple seasons of play before injuries most likely cut his career short, and in those couple seasons, he didn't bring a cup to philly.

The only debate is his long term leadership impact on the younger guys, making them better players forever.
    It's also not his fault for the injuries and they were injuries you could not see coming. Bringing a Cup doesn't negate that he was a major reason the Flyers made the Cup in 2009-2010, and really, none of those guys we gave up are really doing much. Etem has poor skating acumen, Sbisa has been bouncing around the AHL and the NHL for 2 seasons and has yet to top 25 points in a season, Lupul wouldn't be with the team anymore and didn't do squat for the Ducks (and honestly, I think this year was a fluke)....people like to overreact to what we gave up.

I'd still make that trade in a heartbeat. Even knowing we don't win the Cup in 2010, I always thought we overrated Sbisa and the other guys wouldn't have much of a spot with us anyways.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 04-02-2012 at 02:16 PM.

vCash
    Don't regret it a single bit. Anyone who says otherwise is clearly mislead.

vCash
    Pronger gave this team's defense an identity. He made every player he paired with better....he was/is imposing down low in the defensive zone...Our team had more balls defensively and began to hit with a little more force....

Like Grossmann has done this season...his style of play has rubbed off on the other defensemen....

vCash
    This hindsight stuff is always a little tricky.......I don't know that "worth" is the correct term here. Obviously the injury changes the playing field a little. But I look at it like this....we weren't going to win a championship with Lupul and Sbisa so there's no way you can't make that trade....

vCash
    No way we lose that trade Pronger was/is a top ten defenseman when healthy. Lupul is thriving in Toronto not Anaheim. Sbisa probably won't be a top ten defenseman at any point in his career and etem is in the juniors at age 20 that says something about him. Flyers definitely won that trade.
    Philadelphia Flyers Philadelphia Phillies
    Seattle Seahawks Cincinnati Bengals
    Phoenix Suns
    Notre Dame Fighting Irish Kansas Jayhawks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaddNewz View Post
    No way we lose that trade Pronger was/is a top ten defenseman when healthy. Lupul is thriving in Toronto not Anaheim. Sbisa probably won't be a top ten defenseman at any point in his career and etem is in the juniors at age 20 that says something about him. Flyers definitely won that trade.
    Plus Lupul is injured all the time

City of Brotherly Love

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast