Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bcc View Post
    And the guy who lead the entire NFL in receiving yards in 2010 just accepted 4 years and $15 million from New England. Beyond question, Brandon Lloyd could've received more elsewhere.
    Just because Robinson and Garcon were absurdly overpaid doesn't mean AH and Gronk will hold out for every penny.
    And of course they'll have to wait two more years.
    My biggest concern is to NOT allow Jimmy Graham to set the market for TE's at the end of the upcoming season, when he becomes a FA.
    The Patriots would be best served if they can get these two (or at least Gronkowski) addressed right now.
    Brandon Lloyd accepted 3 years $12 million. (Edited, thanks sdceltsfan)

Let's also compare the players...

Brandon Lloyd:
    -30 years old
    -Took until his 8th year to put up the numbers that are in line with his potential
    -Greatest accomplishment was leading the NFL in receiving yards in 2010
    -1 career 1000 yard season
    -Is ranked in the top 15-20 at his position

Rob Gronkowski:
    -22 years old
    -In his rookie season caught 10 TD's
    -Greatest accomplishment was having the most receiving yards and touchdowns of anyone in the history of the NFL at his position
    -1 career 1000 yard season (has played 2)
    -Is ranked in the top 1 at his position

Brandon Lloyd will be a big contributer for us this season but he's not a worthy comparison to Gronkowski as far as value. On top of the reasons I mentioned, Gronk is also one of the elite blockers at his position and is incredibly versatile for his size.

This guy will command more money than any TE in history. And BB isn't going to just lose a guy like that. This is an irreplaceable player. This is a player the Pats should and I imagine will see worthy of paying upwards of 10-12 mil a year. What the number actually is will depend on whether he or Jimmy Graham signs first.
    Last edited by mooz; 04-10-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2013
    -mooz

vCash
    you are both wrong.....could have swore the deal was for $12 million and 3 years

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sdceltsfan View Post
    you are both wrong.....could have swore the deal was for $12 million and 3 years
    You are right. I dunno why I was thinking $6 mil a year in my head.

-mooz

vCash
    On March 17, 2012, Lloyd signed a three-year deal with the New England Patriots for $12 million with incentives to escalate it to $15.5 million.[6]

---------------------------

Who was comparing Lloyd to Gronkowski?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bcc View Post
    Who was comparing Lloyd to Gronkowski?
    You weren't comparing them directly as players, you were using Lloyd as if he was a good barometer as to what Gronkowski would command from the Patriots in the way of an extension.

And I was just pointing out that they aren't comparable because Gronk has everything working for him while Lloyd had a lot working against him.

-mooz

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mooz View Post
    You weren't comparing them directly as players, you were using Lloyd as if he was a good barometer as to what Gronkowski would command from the Patriots in the way of an extension.

And I was just pointing out that they aren't comparable because Gronk has everything working for him while Lloyd had a lot working against him.
    Lloyd effectively killed his leverage with his public admiration for the Patriots prior to free agency. He only wanted to be a Patriot, and the Pats knew that Lloyd would sign a deal on their terms if they waited it out. I'm guessing that Tom Condon was not happy with Lloyd.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bradyistheman12 View Post
    Lloyd effectively killed his leverage with his public admiration for the Patriots prior to free agency. He only wanted to be a Patriot, and the Pats knew that Lloyd would sign a deal on their terms if they waited it out. I'm guessing that Tom Condon was not happy with Lloyd.
    100% Agreed.

-mooz

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123