Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    that's correct; you can't restructure contracts.
    Thanks for the info, and yes, Briere is doing what he's paid to do. Score in the playoffs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    that's correct; you can't restructure contracts.
    I'm glad this is the case.

Look, would it be beneficial to the Flyers if they could? Sure.

But...I wouldn't like the precedent it sets. It would be far too easy for teams to start unfairly pressuring players to re-structure deals, even if they clearly were living up to the contract.

The team could say "Yes, you've earned your contract, but re-structuring helps the team!"

The player(s) inevitably will look like the bad guy if they won't restructure. It's a no-win for them, and that's not fair (not that life is fair, but you get my point).

Furthermore, I wouldn't want a situation where players were constantly on edge b/c any slump would open up questions about whether or not they team should restructure their deals. This game is so much about confidence, and that's no way to play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Annalise View Post

But...I wouldn't like the precedent it sets. It would be far too easy for teams to start unfairly pressuring players to re-structure deals, even if they clearly were living up to the contract.

The team could say "Yes, you've earned your contract, but re-structuring helps the team!"

The player(s) inevitably will look like the bad guy if they won't restructure. It's a no-win for them, and that's not fair (not that life is fair, but you get my point).

Furthermore, I wouldn't want a situation where players were constantly on edge b/c any slump would open up questions about whether or not they team should restructure their deals. This game is so much about confidence, and that's no way to play.

its not THAT bad in the NFL. They usually treat it like a mutual respect thing (mostly because in the NFL most of the restructures are just manipulating the system, like Tony Romo's was just converting a ton of his salary into bonuses, which dont touch the cap, but his total pay remained the same in the end)

Big difference is in the NFL they can cut any player at any time. So in the NFL, you have to play well to just avoid being cut at all times. Slightly annoying in the NHL the players have no incentive like that to keep producing, they know they are safe regardless.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Annalise View Post
    I can see why you'd say that. If there weren't guaranteed contracts in the NHL, Hartnell probably wouldn't have been here this year.

I honestly think Briere, Hartnell and Timmonen would all willingly take pay cuts to keep some other guys around, so yes it would be very beneficial.

This is a good point, but players go to their organizations all the time asking for more money. "I've outplayed my contract I want more money!" Or "I've only got 1 year left, I want a new contract!" The team doesn't have to give them a new contract just because they are in the last year of their contract, it's usually a respect factor that one is offered. Also, teams don't ask players that are living up to the contract to take paycuts, that makes them the bad guys. With the issue of restructuring contracts, the GMs are always the bad guys.

Eagles and DeSean Jackson from last year are a pretty good example of what I mean. You don't give him a contract you're the bad guys. You give him too much money, you're the bad guys. You trade him, you're the bad guys. The only reason Jackson became a bad guy was because it was obvious that he wasn't playing his best.

Again, if players don't like their contracts they can hold out until the team pays them more, releases them or trades them. The team should have the same right to ask you to take less money, or terminate the contract if you aren't playing to your contract; if you can ask for a new one. In hockey the team has no power like that back over the players. You can put them in the minors so their contract doesn't count against your cap, but you still have to pay the player.

Albert Haynesworth is the exact type of person that the NFL planned for when deciding not to have guaranteed contracts. Play great > get paid > give up. Just because it (terrible contracts) doesn't happen as often in the NHL (Wade Redden) doesn't mean the NHL shouldn't bring it up in the CBA talks this summer.

vCash
    I'm glad that Briere is on this team!

vCash
    I was wondering if someone would bump this gem of a thread. 2 more goals for Danny B, and a third disallowed!
    <Meaning and Content>

...And did you see that Giroux goal?

vCash
    I really don't think this thread needs to be bumped after every goal Briere has. I think most of us are on the same page right now. His playoff performance alone is worth the cap hit. It's scary to think if we go deep enough in the playoffs he could match his regular season total in goals.

vCash
    That would be pretty awesome, matching his regular season totals.
    <Meaning and Content>

vCash
    lmfao i chuckled...

vCash
    yeah yeah watever, whenever he scores i think about this thread for about one second.

to make any decision in this world we need to operate on incomplete information. Nothing is 100%. I still think based on the year he had my decision to post (aka get other opinions not have him barred from Philadelphia facilities) was not incorrect or inappropriate.

vCash
    Haha, don't worry. You weren't the only one. Whoever says they weren't frustrated with Briere at some point during the season either didn't watch or is lying.

I felt the same way at the time, and after this year is over, I might be in the same boat again. We've got a lot of young talent to extend and maybe some defensive holes to fill and the cap space he is taking up is very valuable. As great as his playoff performances are and as much as I want him to be a part of every Flyers postseason, I think moving him really needs to be considered (if possible).

Quote Originally Posted by delfinko View Post
    I really don't think this thread needs to be bumped after every goal Briere has. I think most of us are on the same page right now. His playoff performance alone is worth the cap hit. It's scary to think if we go deep enough in the playoffs he could match his regular season total in goals.
    Agreed. Let's just enjoy it!
    [IMG]http://********.com/image.php?u=80452&type=sigpic&dateline=1310177540[/IMG]
    Remember

vCash
    i can't believe this thread still gets posts or exists ... can someone bump this down? lol ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodandNails View Post
    Haha, don't worry. You weren't the only one. Whoever says they weren't frustrated with Briere at some point during the season either didn't watch or is lying.

I felt the same way at the time, and after this year is over, I might be in the same boat again. We've got a lot of young talent to extend and maybe some defensive holes to fill and the cap space he is taking up is very valuable. As great as his playoff performances are and as much as I want him to be a part of every Flyers postseason, I think moving him really needs to be considered (if possible).

Agreed. Let's just enjoy it!
    Honestly, I could see him being moved back to Buffalo if we NEED the cap relief. He never really wanted to leave, and his actual salary in the later parts of his deal are fairly *cough* cost friendly. I hope it doesn't happen though, I want to see him retire a Flyer.
    <Meaning and Content>

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crzyhawk View Post
    Honestly, I could see him being moved back to Buffalo if we NEED the cap relief. He never really wanted to leave, and his actual salary in the later parts of his deal are fairly *cough* cost friendly. I hope it doesn't happen though, I want to see him retire a Flyer.
    i think after his time spent in Philly that this is definitely his preferred place of work.

to say he never really wanted to leave is somewhat true, i guess, but i'm sure he felt low-balled from the sabres when he hit FA.

vCash
    You almost have to trade Briere eventually, assuming another team will take him in anything more than straight salary dump.

Way too many young guys who are already proving their worth are going to need new contracts in the next couple of years, and unless we can amnesty our way out of Pronger or Bryz's contracts (cross your fingers on the new CBA including that clause), we're not going to have an especially large amount of cap space to work with.

All of which is to say, we simply can't afford to tie up >10 percent of our cap space in a guy who only contributes in one end of the ice (give the man credit for his offensive production, but don't gloss over his deficiencies in the other end) and is prone to stretches of utter invisibility during the regular season. Especially since he's going to be 35 in October.
    Last edited by TheRuckus; 05-01-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast