Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allphillyman359 View Post
    When I watch Briere I dont see a 6.5 million dollar player. To me it seems he is a bit selfish, for instance 50% of the time he is behind the net he tries a low % wrap around rather than looking to make a pass. He is a good leader and mentor but how much is that really worth? Would Cooter really be doomed to a career in the AHL if he lived with Hartnell instead?

I am no nhl scout but when I watch him play I see a 3.5 million dollar player. Assuming that number is right, that would logically mean his leadership and intangibles would need to justify a 3 million cap hit for an argument to be made to keep him. I dont think they do and I dont think it is even close.Leadership and intangibles are worth something but not 3 mill against the cap. If that logic is correct then the correct play would be to dumb him if possible. The question is who would take him and how exactly does the NMC work.

I would trade him for a 3rd rounder. Cap space is a valuable commodity and Homer is the type of GM to get every last drop out of it.
    He has made a career out of playing behind the net and wrap around shots...

This year, yes he isnt worth the money, although you really cant even say that because he is a big time playoff performer. I dont feel like pulling up numbers, but take a look. The guy is money in the playoffs. Also, as others have said, his veteran leadership and mentoring of the young guys is priceless.

vCash
    nothing is priceless in a competitive business environment like the nhl.

vCash
    NMC is just that. He can't be moved, either via trade or to waivers without his consent. I'm not positive, but they may not even be able to move him to IR without his consent.

When Briere was scoring 30 goals last year nobody was comparing him to a 3.5m player. He's having a bad year, and there are potentially reasons why.
    <Meaning and Content>

...And did you see that Giroux goal?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crzyhawk View Post
    NMC is just that. He can't be moved, either via trade or to waivers without his consent. I'm not positive, but they may not even be able to move him to IR without his consent.

When Briere was scoring 30 goals last year nobody was comparing him to a 3.5m player. He's having a bad year, and there are potentially reasons why.
    Exactly I believe his divorce went through this year?? anyways I am sure come playoff time he will redeem himself for a below average season

vCash
    He hasn't had any consistent line mates this year, and he had the concussion. Honestly I blame Lavi as much as anyone for not giving him some consistent linemates. Briere's a good guy on the team. I'm not worried about his cap hit. IMO he's earned better from us fans then we are giving him.
    <Meaning and Content>

vCash
    He hasn't had any consistent line mates this year, and he had the concussion. Honestly I blame Lavi as much as anyone for not giving him some consistent linemates. Briere's a good guy on the team. I'm not worried about his cap hit. IMO he's earned better from us fans then we are giving him.
    The Flyers play in Philly...not somewhere in VA.

If you don't produce some wil start tol call for your head.

I can see him being the only forward replaced this offseason. But it depends on how he does the rest of the season.

vCash
    looks like he has found some chemistry with schenn and simmonds.. Briere has 4 assists so far tonight

vCash
    but he's a selfish player who only takes low% wrap around attempts.
    <Meaning and Content>

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thPrizedFighter View Post

I can see him being the only forward replaced this offseason. But it depends on how he does the rest of the season.
    I suppose you have a point in here, but I can't tell what it is.
    <Meaning and Content>

vCash
    but he's a selfish player who only takes low% wrap around attempts.
    Thats what I see, maybe I am wrong maybe I am right but really who gives a ****. Why does everyone need to be on the attack 24/7? People see things through different eyes hence different viewpoints. I dont see a 6.5 million player this year and I am not someone to get attached to a player. Its the nhl there is more player movement in this league than any other. If it is +ev(expected value, given the information we have at our disposal) then it is the right move imo. Briere is a good player but in relation to other players his is VERY expendable.

Before someone brings up his great game tonight, I never said he was a bad player and one game is irrelevant to his overall worth long term.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thPrizedFighter View Post

I am not calling for his head, I am asking a legit question involving his overall worth vs his cap hit. The cobourn thread was a reactive calling for his head thread, I have been asking myself this question for the past 3 months and still am not 100% correct I am at the right conclusion which is the reason I posted a thread on it.

vCash
    I am not calling for his head, I am asking a legit question involving his overall worth vs his cap hit. The cobourn thread was a reactive calling for his head thread, I have been asking myself this question for the past 3 months and still am not 100% correct I am at the right conclusion which is the reason I posted a thread on it.
    when its all said and done, yes, with briere's huge cap hit that is no longer justified by his production, its entirely possibly he'll be a "cap casualty"

but even though he's playing like a guy deserving 3 million, the rest of his salary is made up in leadership, which i think keeps him here for 1-2 more seasons. I do believe he wont be here for the length of his contract.

vCash
    I suppose you have a point in here, but I can't tell what it is.
    Regarding your last sentence in the post I quoted.

vCash
    I wasn't hating on you or your thread. But nice run-on sentence...haha

Mostly was just making a generalized statement...besides the point that this a Philly team where if you're not producing like you can or should fans will turn on you.

vCash
    I know he is a nice player and I dont want to bash him. But the reality is he is 6.5 million against the cap. Homer can do alot more with that money than a top six forward. Anyway to get rid of him?
    this is a no brainer, amnesty will take care of his salary cap hit

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast