Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    vCash
    what would you want for briere? even though he is kind of inconsistent in the season he is great in the playoffs and even at an inconsistent level he would be a big upgrade on our 2nd line? the asking price is the main thing so what would it be in your opinion?

vCash
    If up to me, we need the cap space. You dont have a Dman you would move that we would be interested in, and we have a ton of depth up front and with the cap space Briere leaving will open up we would get a Dman and a Forward we would need to replace him. I like Butler (#15) as he was scratched in a few games during the Ranger series. If #15 isn't Butler, then I think it is Smith.

Whatever his name is #15 and 2nd round pick, for the highest point getter in the playoffs the last 4-5 yrs.

Some fans might think I am nuts, but ultimately I would do the deal for the cap space!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SensandRaps View Post
    what would you want for briere? even though he is kind of inconsistent in the season he is great in the playoffs and even at an inconsistent level he would be a big upgrade on our 2nd line? the asking price is the main thing so what would it be in your opinion?
    I would give you briere For a second and swap our first rounders need the space, not worth it anymore

FLYERS/EAGLES

vCash
    I wouldn't move him.
    <Meaning and Content>

...And did you see that Giroux goal?

vCash
    At this point there is no way in hell we should move Briere, the guy is one of the hardest workers we have and he's one of the most clutch players in the league come playoff time. Someone would take him because of what he did in the playoffs, but I don't see any offensive options out there right now that would be more beneficial to us.

Obviously the cap hit hurts a little bit, but the guy loves Philadelphia and his leadership is one of the reasons that we held it together and overachieved this year. Regular season he was a little inconsistent, but other then that I have nothing bad to say about him and I would love it if he retired as a Flyer.

THANK YOU DANNY B #48

vCash
    I agree that Briere is awesome in the playoffs, and is a great leader and veteran that helps our young guys. At 6.5 million cap hit I would trade him with out thinking twice. His cap space buys us mulitple players to help our tem. You want some O players that would help. Praise, Doan, Semin, are a quick 3 forwards that come to mind. On D almost everyone choice Suter, Stuart, Schultz, talk about a trade for D. Murray (SJ) any of these 2 players we would add is better then what Briere can bring us.

vCash
    I saw Danny b at my home rink before one of my men's league games. Therefore we should not trade him.

vCash
    I dont see where this need is for cap space? What exactly are we using this space for? Unless there is a premiere defenseman like Weber that suddenly becomes available I dont see the point of dumping Briere. He is a valuable leader and one of the best offensive players in the game come playoff time.

Besides if we are gonna dump a salary I would much rather look at Hartnell whos value is at an all time high and has very little chance of repeating his success from this past season. I like the guy but he takes some dumb penalties and is pretty much non existant in the playoffs. I also think he greatly benefited this past season with playing on a line with Giroux. I would rather move him for something of value and put JVR and/or Voracek up on that line with Giroux. JVR might find confidence with Grioux feeding him similar to the way Hartnell did this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StryderSox View Post
    I dont see where this need is for cap space? What exactly are we using this space for? Unless there is a premiere defenseman like Weber that suddenly becomes available I dont see the point of dumping Briere. He is a valuable leader and one of the best offensive players in the game come playoff time.

Besides if we are gonna dump a salary I would much rather look at Hartnell whos value is at an all time high and has very little chance of repeating his success from this past season. I like the guy but he takes some dumb penalties and is pretty much non existant in the playoffs. I also think he greatly benefited this past season with playing on a line with Giroux. I would rather move him for something of value and put JVR and/or Voracek up on that line with Giroux. JVR might find confidence with Grioux feeding him similar to the way Hartnell did this year.
    Need to make sure you have cap space for when you need to resign Schenn, Coots, Simmonds, Giroux, Read, etc. Hartnell's contract is up after this year, Briere still has three years left on his and that third year is when Giroux, Schenn, Couturier and Read's contracts are up. Gotta plan for the future so you can keep your core intact

City of Brotherly Love

vCash
    So what you are saying is that you don't have to do anything this offseason about Briere's contract?

vCash
    Exactly!!!! Why are we in a hurry to salary dump the second best offensive player in the playoffs over the past decade? In this playoffs alone he had 8 goals and 13 points in 11 games. In terms of PPG that is 3rd in the entire NHL behind Giroux and Marc Staal. If Briere's salary hit was the only thing standing in the way of signing a number one shut down D-Man like Weber then I could understand. Until this is the case I am more than happy to overlook his under achievements during the regular season in exchange for the consistant clutch preformances he provides for us every April and May.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by delfinko View Post
    So what you are saying is that you don't have to do anything this offseason about Briere's contract?
    If you are okay with no cap room to make moves with then yeah

City of Brotherly Love

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ironman9518 View Post
    Need to make sure you have cap space for when you need to resign Schenn, Coots, Simmonds, Giroux, Read, etc. Hartnell's contract is up after this year, Briere still has three years left on his and that third year is when Giroux, Schenn, Couturier and Read's contracts are up. Gotta plan for the future so you can keep your core intact
    The only contract of those three that worries me right now is Giroux, who is going to want serious money.

However, [and don't flip out at this]: Schenn and Couturier aren't going to command a fortune just yet. Planning for the scenario three years down the road when both of them are all-stars is a little crazy.

There is an equal probability that one (or both) of them may be injured or regress (look at JVR). Look at it this way: if there is a buyout clause, we won't have to exercise it this years. I'd much rather save it, and if we need to buy out Danny B in two years, then we do it. But why jettison one of the best playoff performers in the game when we don't have to, all based on the premise that in three years, we're going to have to pay three (for the most part) unproven young players? Why would you do that?

Now, if Weber was available and the only way to get him would be to lose Briere, that's a whole other conversation. But that's not what we're talking about here.

vCash
    My point was that all those contracts are up in 3 years and there is plenty of time to worry about those other guys. Beside that though, like 10 people have already gone over all of the cap issues and have each spelled it out. With or without an amnesty clause the Flyers can get up to 10 million or so in cap space for this season. The only way we're getting more is with an amnesty, and altering the rules regarding "over 35" contracts. That is plenty of space to sign our needs.

vCash
    It's not like we NEED a lot.....if the worst that happens is we pick up a decent defenseman who has a different skillset than one or two of the guys we have then we're still a pretty darn good hockey team.

Each year is so different it's hard to tell......last year they were counting on JVR putting up big numbers and we got nothing from him...but on the opposite Hartnell ended up producing way more than we thought......same for Simmonds and Read. Going into this year the same thing will happen, a guy or two we expect to put up big points won't and someone else will step it up a little. Sometimes it gets overanalyzed....

so in terms of something minimal....so maybe we lose Jagr, but now we have a healthy JVR. JVR could get it going this year for real just as well as another year on Father Time could slow Jagr down just a bit more. So let's get a style of play and the players we feel like can execute that the best and the rest is just a crapshoot on who puts up the points for real. This could be an ON year for BRiere in the season and maybe he's a monster...that's just as likely.

If we keep the same group of forwards together and maybe find another defenseman that creates a Presence back there to replace some of what Pronger brought then we're still a good team. I'm not saying someone can replace pronger and everything he did....I'm just saying a legitimate presence as in someone the other team knows they need to keep their head up for when he's on the ice...

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast