Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    Well I got where you were going with it, but just because he used to play there doesn't mean he loved it there or wants to go back. I'm sure there would be a lot of teams that would want to have him.

Secondly....why wouldn't we want to re-sign him at this point? He's not too old. I'm not saying it's a lock. But the guy put together a pretty strong season and played much more disciplined than he ever has. If the guy puts together another year like that I'm not sure why we wouldn't want to keep him around for a few more. Granted if he comes back and doesn't look like the same player he was this year then we can let him go and spend his money elsewhere. But I thought the guy was a vital role on that first line this year so I would want him back.
    agreed!

vCash
    I want Justin Shultz

FLYERS/EAGLES

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Giroux 4 MVP View Post
    I want Justin Shultz
    yeah you along with the 29 other teams in the NHL. this kid is SCARY good from everything i've read. anaheim still owns his rights, but it is assumed he will not sign with them by june 1st, making him a UFA. if he does, the Flyers should make a strong push for this kid. it would just add to their already strong, young corps.

here's one article i found explaining everything a little more:

http://flyers.thecheckingline.com/bl...ould-be-perfec

vCash
    Well I got where you were going with it, but just because he used to play there doesn't mean he loved it there or wants to go back. I'm sure there would be a lot of teams that would want to have him.

Secondly....why wouldn't we want to re-sign him at this point? He's not too old. I'm not saying it's a lock. But the guy put together a pretty strong season and played much more disciplined than he ever has. If the guy puts together another year like that I'm not sure why we wouldn't want to keep him around for a few more. Granted if he comes back and doesn't look like the same player he was this year then we can let him go and spend his money elsewhere. But I thought the guy was a vital role on that first line this year so I would want him back.
    well ... i was disapointed in his playoffs this year and i also think Hartnell plays very hard - but his year was a product of Giroux and Jagr ... just like Leino and Briere had that magic with Hartnell, where Hartnell's goals were all tip-ins and Briere and Leino carried the play

he really isn't more than a 6/7/8 spot player at this point on this team already ... he wont get better with age and he really can't skate very well ... which will only get worse as he gets older ...

he is big but isn't a real 'banger' upfront or infront of the net ... Giroux needs to play with more talented people

out with the old and in with the new ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    well ... i was disapointed in his playoffs this year and i also think Hartnell plays very hard - but his year was a product of Giroux and Jagr ... just like Leino and Briere had that magic with Hartnell, where Hartnell's goals were all tip-ins and Briere and Leino carried the play

he really isn't more than a 6/7/8 spot player at this point on this team already ... he wont get better with age and he really can't skate very well ... which will only get worse as he gets older ...

he is big but isn't a real 'banger' upfront or infront of the net ... Giroux needs to play with more talented people

I know that Hartnell isn't the elite "talent" that you would envision playing with Giroux. But at the same time I don't think you can write of 37 goals as simply a product of playing with G and Jagr. Oh, it definitely helps to play with them instead of Rinaldo and Shelley for sure...but to say that Hartnell didn't contribute a ton to that line is shortchanging him quite a bit. Keep in mind, over the last 8 seasons Hartnell has still averaged just over 24 goals per season so it's not like he's sucked without Giroux either.

It's not simply about putting the three most talented guys together and watch them make plays....you have to build lines of guys that compliment each other. I'm not saying I love everything about Hartnell or that he's ever been my favorite guy here......but after the way he's stepped up this year he's certainly earned the right to play that top line with Giroux again until someone plays better than him on it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    yeah you along with the 29 other teams in the NHL. this kid is SCARY good from everything i've read. anaheim still owns his rights, but it is assumed he will not sign with them by june 1st, making him a UFA. if he does, the Flyers should make a strong push for this kid. it would just add to their already strong, young corps.

here's one article i found explaining everything a little more:

http://flyers.thecheckingline.com/bl...ould-be-perfec
    Sounds like the kid is a beast. To be labeled the third best Free Agent in the NHL without ever having played a game yet is pretty impressive. Add that he can only make 900K on the cap hit based on what they say and you'd think every team in the NHL is lining up hookers and commercial spots to lure the kid. You'd think with his opportunity to be a free agent there is no way he signs with Anaheim so he can pick where he wants to go. You'd think Detroit would have the inside track on a Wisconsin kid though. It will get interesting for sure though.

vCash
    I know what I am about to say is pointless, but on hockey buzz I was reading an interesting article. It was about the 10 biggest moves of the offseason. The few things that matter to us was

1. Carle signing with the Minn. Wild
    2. The Flyers signing Schultz (the stud D man) as he refered to along with Brad Stuart or Dennis Weidman, to add a right handed D man that can help on both special teams and replace Carle at a cheaper price tag.
    3. Also sign or trade for a top line winger (Nash, Praise, etc.)

Some of it makes sense. I like all his idea's, but if we can't land Praise, I would prefer Shane Doan, yes even at 34 yrs old. We need a leader, captain type of player that plays like an animal every shift. When they saluted their fans after the hand shake after game 5, he was crying. He cares, he is hungry and he would be the perfect addition to this team. He was also teammates with Bryz, maybe he can make him a goalie again, instead of an astrounat. Only an idea, I know Giroux 4 MVP wasn't crazy about Stuart or Weidman, he wants Garrison from FLA, which I am okay with. any one of the 3 with Schultz is better the Carle and hopefully cheaper on our cap!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sev66 View Post
    I know what I am about to say is pointless, but on hockey buzz I was reading an interesting article. It was about the 10 biggest moves of the offseason. The few things that matter to us was

2. The Flyers signing Schultz (the stud D man) as he refered to along with Brad Stuart or Dennis Weidman, to add a right handed D man that can help on both special teams and replace Carle at a cheaper price tag.

Some of it makes sense. I like all his idea's, but if we can't land Praise, I would prefer Shane Doan, yes even at 34 yrs old. We need a leader, captain type of player that plays like an animal every shift. When they saluted their fans after the hand shake after game 5, he was crying. He cares, he is hungry and he would be the perfect addition to this team. He was also teammates with Bryz, maybe he can make him a goalie again, instead of an astrounat. Only an idea, I know Giroux 4 MVP wasn't crazy about Stuart or Weidman, he wants Garrison from FLA, which I am okay with. any one of the 3 with Schultz is better the Carle and hopefully cheaper on our cap!!!
    I would instantly cream in my pants if we got Shultz, he will be offered the max contract and possibly as high as a second line role, now again Stuart I don't really have a problem with, but he doesn't address our Dman need entirely, wideman is worse then carle in his own end so no thanks unless super cheap (won't happen), I don't see this team really making a noticeable move with a current roster player unless it's bob being traded for a second rounder or an amnesty clause is put in, now Doan. He will never leave the yotes unless they straight up just don't want him (won't happen). I would be very happy if we sign Shultz AND even though I hate the guy, resign carle, then our defense would be solidifyed for good.

FLYERS/EAGLES

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sev66 View Post

Well it's a plan that's not that bad or that far fetched. The trouble is that there will be lots of other teams who would want to sign the kid and add Stuart as a complimentary piece as well. The underlying thing to me is that the conditions seem ripe for a bigger move .......Timmonen is in the last year of his deal and Pronger is in serious doubt, even if he plays again his history the last couple years should be enough to scare us into not relying on him to be the guy back there.

I don't see Doan leaving Phoenix at this point...I mean it's not like they suck now and he needs to leave to win...they made it farther than us. I don't see Parise leaving NJ for the same reason. Nash? I think you're talking about making a major shakeup in order to get him. It's not like where loaded on defense with a crop of youngs studs so in order to get Nash you have to figure we need to trade a couple important pieces to the offense....so who do you give up and would that end up being 2 steps forward and 2 steps back?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post

I completely disagree. Hartnell is a power forward. He did exactly what he is paid to do this year. A power forward should be driving the net and getting dirty goals. Not only that but he has a powerful shot. Sure he isnt the greatest skater in the world, but as far as not being a banger? Im not sure if you watched the same team this year. Hartnell uses he size pretty affectively down low and against the boards.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillysports101 View Post
    I completely disagree. Hartnell is a power forward. He did exactly what he is paid to do this year. A power forward should be driving the net and getting dirty goals. Not only that but he has a powerful shot. Sure he isnt the greatest skater in the world, but as far as not being a banger? Im not sure if you watched the same team this year. Hartnell uses he size pretty affectively down low and against the boards.
    This
    <Meaning and Content>

...And did you see that Giroux goal?

vCash
    Still would like to move briere

FLYERS/EAGLES

vCash
    Our biggest issue is the cap. We need the cap to hit 69 million, like some are reporting, we need an amnesty put into the new cba, and we need the 35 yrs or older situation to be fixed for us to get out of cap hell. 2 of 3 would be perfect.

1. Amnesty is put in we cut Briere and free up 6.5 million cap hit ( then u can resign him as a FA)
    2. 35 yrs and up signings. If they apply an out cause this will free up 4.9 million on our cap.

This will give us close to 12 million to spend, sign Vorachek, 2 Dman and 2 forwards to replace Briere and Jagr ( Briere can be brought back).

It doesnt really matter what we do, Goaltending and a good system get you to the cup, we dont have neither.

I also think we need to replace 2 coaches, I love him (Berube) but he is in charge of our Defense. I would perfer a coach who actually knows and has played Defense not someone who was a goon his whole career. Maybe give Hatcher a shot. We alson need a new goalie coach and Sean Burke is availabe, just look at what he has done in PHX. Bryz, and he took an average goalie in Smith and made him top 5 in the league. Our coach Jeff Reese has not done ****, except stun the growth of BOB and made Bryz want to be an astrounat.

Holmgren always has a plan and always is making a big splash, Cap room or not. Here is an idea JVR plus for a Nash, or Bobby Ryan. What we need is a sniper winger to go along with Giroux
    Last edited by sev66; 05-28-2012 at 02:00 AM.

vCash
    Don't believe any amnesty situation would allow you to sign a guy back. That's a very open and easy loophole to contract renegotiation...which is a no no in the NHL. Can't imagine the rules would allow it like that..

vCash
    Don't believe any amnesty situation would allow you to sign a guy back. That's a very open and easy loophole to contract renegotiation...which is a no no in the NHL. Can't imagine the rules would allow it like that..
    plus when you amnesty a player you still have to pay him what he's owed, it just doesn't count against the cap.

so even if the Flyers were to resign briere after they amnesty him (which just wouldn't happen for so many other reasons), they'd be paying him $6.5 mil, plus whatever they just signed him for. if you have the money, i guess you could, but i can't see any team wanting to do that.

just because it doesn't count against the cap, doesn't mean you don't still actually have to pay him.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast