Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Can we get rid of Briere in the offseason?

I know he is a nice player and I dont want to bash him. But the reality is he is 6.5 million against the cap. Homer can do alot more with that money than a top six forward. Anyway to get rid of him?

vCash
    it would be tough, because he has a NMC.

i think it will largely depend on how far this team goes in the playoffs.

vCash
    I was thinking about this a week ago. IMO it depend on what he does in the remaining games and playoffs.

He's still in a funk, but I woudn't be surprised if he hit a hot streak soon.

vCash
    he is a playoff performer..I can see him once again make up for a lackluster season and really put it on for the playoffs

vCash
    I could deal with the cap hit if he really does shine in the playoffs as usual. We have so many young guys do we really want to get rid of the last little bit of experience we have? I would much rather move Kimo...That contract is ridiculous.;

What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

vCash
    Briere will come around.
    <Meaning and Content>

...And did you see that Giroux goal?

vCash
    No. He most likely won't waive his NMC and who would be silly enough to take on that salary hit?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    it would be tough, because he has a NMC.
    Quote Originally Posted by flyerschris View Post
    he is a playoff performer..I can see him once again make up for a lackluster season and really put it on for the playoffs
    Quote Originally Posted by jc27 View Post
    No. He most likely won't waive his NMC and who would be silly enough to take on that salary hit?

wait you guys describing Briere or Gagne?....

....see where I'm going with this?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Stevens View Post
    wait you guys describing Briere or Gagne?....

....see where I'm going with this?

Gags didn't make this much money, though, did he? (serious question i don't remember)

i know what you're saying, and out of all sports, hockey players are the classiest athletes around, but i'm going to stand pat, as i said, to see how he does in the playoffs.

to me it all depends on how he plays and how far the team goes.

vCash
    briere is signed until the 2014/2015 season ... and Couturier lives with him ... so i dont think he is being traded or moved anytime soon.

briere is a good mentor ... he did it for Giroux (who is now doing it for Schenn)

getting rid of his leadership is not a good idea, everyone has a down year now and then. while he has to be more determined on the back check and playing any kind of defense, let's withhold judgement on a guy who is a PPG performer in the playoffs

and i think gagne had a 5 million dollar cap hit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    briere is signed until the 2014/2015 season ... and Couturier lives with him ... so i dont think he is being traded or moved anytime soon.

briere is a good mentor ... he did it for Giroux (who is now doing it for Schenn)

getting rid of his leadership is not a good idea, everyone has a down year now and then. while he has to be more determined on the back check and playing any kind of defense, let's withhold judgement on a guy who is a PPG performer in the playoffs

and i think gagne had a 5 million dollar cap hit.
    This. Briere is earning every penny of his cap hit /off the ice/. His mentoring of our young future stars is preventing us from ending up with Richards and Carter party animals.
    <Meaning and Content>

...And did you see that Giroux goal?

vCash
    Briere has had so many linemate changes this season compared to last year where it was Hartnell, Leino, and himself for a majority of the season....That continuity could be a reason he's having an "off" year....

I know players come in and out of the lineup alot in sports, but a good portion of teams and their lineups are based on at least line pairings where they'll mix and match the third player on a line...

Briere has had Simmonds, Voracek, Schenn, Read, Coturier, VanRiemsdyk, etc... on his line to start games....building chemistry with different combinations of players can hurt your season point totals...

He does need to focus a little more on his defense and back check in games....

The playoffs should give him linemates he'll be playing with game in and game out....so his play should pick up more.

vCash
    Briere is not going any ware. he does great in the playoffs and thats what counts. people forget we have 4 solid lines who can score goals. and like MMC1710 he had to many different linemates this season i like him with Voracek i think them to play good together and if they can get another person in there IMO Wellwood maybe that line could do some damage in playoffs

vCash
    I don't see any compelling reason to move him in the off season. I would expect the forwards to remain the same for next year and can't see any definitive need for a shake up there. I would think the only way Briere isn't back is a combination of two things...if he has an uncharacteristically bad playoff (which would have followed a subpar season) and if the cap requires that they need to free up some money to upgrade the defense. I'm not ready to re-evaluate the salaries and cap hits for next year so that is just in general terms in a "if they find themselves in need of some extra millions to get a defenseman they really want" type situation.....Briere would not get traded, but bought out to cut his cap hit way down.

I still see them making a run at Suter in the offseason so Briere may be forced to be a cap casualty to make that happen.......we'll see.

vCash
    When I watch Briere I dont see a 6.5 million dollar player. To me it seems he is a bit selfish, for instance 50% of the time he is behind the net he tries a low % wrap around rather than looking to make a pass. He is a good leader and mentor but how much is that really worth? Would Cooter really be doomed to a career in the AHL if he lived with Hartnell instead?

I am no nhl scout but when I watch him play I see a 3.5 million dollar player. Assuming that number is right, that would logically mean his leadership and intangibles would need to justify a 3 million cap hit for an argument to be made to keep him. I dont think they do and I dont think it is even close.Leadership and intangibles are worth something but not 3 mill against the cap. If that logic is correct then the correct play would be to dumb him if possible. The question is who would take him and how exactly does the NMC work.

I would trade him for a 3rd rounder. Cap space is a valuable commodity and Homer is the type of GM to get every last drop out of it.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast