Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

That Guy Who Wears #57 Watch Thread

http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...bout-progress/
    PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. – Johan Santana threw off a mound Tuesday for the second time this year and was promptly engulfed by a scrum of reporters. For Santana’s sanity, it is something he will likely have to get used to.

The crowd was larger than it was for his first bullpen session last Friday, with a noticeable influx of television cameras, but the results for Santana were the same: the left-hander made it through with his arm in one piece, there were smiles all through the coaching and medical staff, and onlookers were reminded, again, that there is a long way to go until the regular season.

“I’m always trying to stay positive with everything I do,” Santana said. “I felt really good today, and I’m just trying to keep it that way through spring training.”

The situation with Santana this spring has called to mind spring training last year, when Carlos Beltran was asked daily for updates on his surgically-repaired knee. And there’s no reason to believe Santana’s day-to-day progress will draw any less scrutiny from the organization, news media, and fans.

Santana, who thus far has worked out on his own after the rest of the team, has maintained a sunny demeanor amid all the hubbub. For him, just going through his normal routine has been rewarding enough.

“I’ve been through a lot the last couple of years and, finally, it’s exciting for me to be out on the field and doing the things I used to do,” Santana said. “And being around with the guys is always good.”

I actually expect a thread in the next few weeks to say Santana to return around the all star break. Then we never see again.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    Santana is being looked at daily through a micron telescope. The baseball papparazzi, oops, I meant the NY media will be on top of his incremental progress.

But, let's face it, we all want him back healthy and productive. Without him we're completely cooked. We don't have a true #1.

I Love NY Mets Baseball!!!!

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73...SB 50 Super Bowl Champions...
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87

uapeople you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

Eric Valent is making a comback with us?

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    Good one SS....

I Love NY Mets Baseball!!!!

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73...SB 50 Super Bowl Champions...
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87

uapeople you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post

Official Santana Watch

I'm going to start this by stating the obvious...

There is no Johan Santana.

I know we have a ST thread, but Johan is a story that I think stands apart and deserves his own thread.

Everyone is worried about the state of his health, and I'm no different. When we talk about Johan, we always have to use the two words, "if healthy."

He has now thrown 3 bullpen sessions in PSL, and has had zero discomfort. Today was his second consecutive day in the bullpen, so how he feels tomorrow and Saturday will be very important.

They haven't put a radar gun on him yet, and he is working on getting his mechanics down. In today's session, he apparently cut loose in his last 6 pitches and felt good afterward.

The plan right now is to have him pitch in the team's first Spring Training game.

Johan Santana will throw his next bullpen session on Sunday, according to SNY’s Matt Dunn.

Santana threw 32 pitches today after throwing 29 pitches yesterday and said he felt “really good,” as he threw all of his pitches and was able to increase the intensity in his final six pitches.

While he has had positive progress so far, Santana said he is still building up his strength and still has a long way to go.

Santana also basically said the following:
    •He is pleased with where he is physically right now.
    •He has had consistency in each of his bullpen sessions.
    •He is finding his release point right now, but is doing things like he does during the regular season.

http://www.metsblog.com/2012/02/23/j...row-on-sunday/

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

Ah, didn't know we had one already. Cool.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

Since there is is no Santana, he will be referred as the guy who wears #57.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Since there is is no Santana, he will be referred as the guy who wears #57.
    But if there is no Johan Santana then nobody would be wearing #57 unless some farm hand during ST wore it.

I heard a guy named Kilroy is wearing 57

Don't worry. He's got this.

Mets.com
    PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- Turns out Johan Santana will not start the Mets' Grapefruit League opener after all.

Because the Mets forgot to pencil a day of long tossing into Santana's schedule, the left-hander will not pitch March 5 against the Nationals. Instead, Santana will push his entire schedule back a day, starting the team's March 6 game against the Cardinals.

"There's nothing wrong," manager Terry Collins said.

Because the Mets already had inserted an extra day into their schedule in the event of rain, Santana remains on track to start Opening Day against the Braves on April 5.

Pushing him back 1 day is a non-issue.

-Sun Tzu

Supposedly Santana is participating in all drills, throwing on his off-days, and throwing bullpens regularly. These are definitely good signs and I believe there's a good chance he pitches this year.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Supposedly Santana is participating in all drills, throwing on his off-days, and throwing bullpens regularly. These are definitely good signs and I believe there's a good chance he pitches this year.
    Fingers crossed, but so far it looks really promising.

-Sun Tzu

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast