Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Wings' Power Play

The Wings HAVE to get their power play going before the playoffs. IMO you need 5 things for a long successful playoff run: Very few injuries, good goaltending, good defense, some puck luck and a good powerplay. With a poor PP a team can take liberites with your skill players and have no reprocussion. I don't know what's going on here. Maybe it's these wonderful new assistant coaches and their fresh ideas? Maybe it's Babs? Maybe the players aren't executing? What do you guys think?

vCash
    I've been calling it just play. There is no power to it. I've noticed White's been out there when abit when they let shorties in. Mayber he's gotta sit out on the PP until Lids is back. He really only benifits from the PP time when Lids can back him up. An for f--k's sake, let Helmer be out there more.

vCash
    Hudler shouldn't be playing at the point. Our strategy for entering their zone is kinda predictable. Maybe they should focus on that. It seems like the only player who consistently can enter is Datsyuk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by redwings13 View Post
    Hudler shouldn't be playing at the point. Our strategy for entering their zone is kinda predictable. Maybe they should focus on that. It seems like the only player who consistently can enter is Datsyuk.
    It seems that dumpin and chasin should be the norm now. At least they should get it deep and keep it for awhile. Plus they GOTTA handle the puck better at the blue line!! The Wings PP is probably the most predictable aspect of thier game now, and they do have to switch it up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by redwings13 View Post
    Yeah, Hudler playing the point makes no sense to me.

vCash
    I read somewhere that Jeff Blashill was in charge of the PP. Does anyone know if this is true? If so it would make sense and maybe those duties should be taken away from him.

vCash
    It's gotta be fixed come playoff time or the Wings are in some trouble. When somebody makes a mistake you gotta capitalize on it, double the importance in the post season.

vCash
    Sucks, broken, needs overall, to many plays back to the point leading to odd man rushes going the other way. Needs more movement down low, did I mention speed over the blue line, to slow entering the zone. Worst I've seen in years. And yes Blashill is in control of the PP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
    Sucks, broken, needs overall, to many plays back to the point leading to odd man rushes going the other way. Needs more movement down low, did I mention speed over the blue line, to slow entering the zone. Worst I've seen in years. And yes Blashill is in control of the PP.
    Well, I think the Blashill experiment should be over and Babcock needs to take control of the PP.

vCash
    Three guys waiting at the blue line, while one tries to break in... Same play, game in and game out. Other teams expect it now and it's gotta be switched up completely. It really only works with Pavs out there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westhockeytown View Post
    Three guys waiting at the blue line, while one tries to break in... Same play, game in and game out. Other teams expect it now and it's gotta be switched up completely. It really only works with Pavs out there.
    Exactly, Pav could could skate around a whole team in a phone booth.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
    Exactly, Pav could could skate around a whole team in a phone booth.
    Z can get close but at the last second he ends up passing it to someone just inside the blue line, defender bumps it away and poof! a shorthanded 2 on 0 is formed! Just dump it and battle in the corners!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westhockeytown View Post
    Z can get close but at the last second he ends up passing it to someone just inside the blue line, defender bumps it away and poof! a shorthanded 2 on 0 is formed! Just dump it and battle in the corners!!
    That's about the only option they have it this point, I was always a fan dump and chase on the PP, opens the ice up, gets the PK out of position. Puck position 5 on 5 dump and chase on the PP, mixes things up, keeps teams guessing.

vCash
    Scotty Bowman's answer to dump and chase? "Why give up possesion of the puck?". It goes against the philosophy of puck possesion teams.

vCash
    Even with the injuries, there is still no excuse for how lackluster the man advantage has been. The Wings have way too much depth for this not to be a systemic issue (cough coaching cough). if Babs isn't calling the shots, as the OP stated a couple of posts ago, it's high time he took it over.
    Blue Jays Ace Todd Redmond

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast