Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

New Islanders Fan

I'll be honest, I know nothing about hockey, and only find it interesting come playoff time or being there live. However, I did go to an Isles Devils game a few weeks game(Kovy had a hat trick that day), and enjoyed it and took a liking to the Isles.

W/ that said , I understand that is a dreadful team, and that this team's future in LI is uncertain. I heard somethings about Brooklyn, why it will/why it won't happen. So, I made this thread to ask long-time fans about the team.

For starters, what's would be the best player in the draft for this team?
    Also, where will the Isles end up, once the least is up?
    For the best sports gifs and memes visit
    http://aviewfromthebleachers.tumblr.com/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Canon View Post
    I'll be honest, I know nothing about hockey, and only find it interesting come playoff time or being there live. However, I did go to an Isles Devils game a few weeks game(Kovy had a hat trick that day), and enjoyed it and took a liking to the Isles.

W/ that said , I understand that is a dreadful team, and that this team's future in LI is uncertain. I heard somethings about Brooklyn, why it will/why it won't happen[/COLOR][/B]. So, I made this thread to ask long-time fans about the team.

For starters, what's would be the best player in the draft for this team?
    Also, where will the Isles end up, once the least is up?
    hope the islanders win the draft lottery and get to select nail yakupov. if they don't, they need to look at finding a solid defenseman. (ryan murray, jacob trouba, mathew dumba).

Brooklyn will happen if this them has no other options and charles wang still wants to own the team. brooklyn wasn't built with hockey in mind, and even though the arena is now being constructed to accommodate a professional ice hockey team, there wont be very many seats compared to most nhl arenas. charles wang said he was/is committed to keeping this team on LI. the team has 3 years to figure it out. finally come to an agreement with nassau, move to brooklyn, or move to willits point next to citi field. before the madoff lawsuits the wilpons were reaching out to wang to move there. now that the madoff court issues are almost over for the mets perhaps we'll see queens show up as a destination again. if wang wants to sell it's very unlikely the team stays on LI. there are plenty of buyers who want an NHL team. however, they want it in other cities like quebec, hamilton, seattle, etc.

vCash
    Way to join with 8 games left! Aka our playoff push!

But seriously, welcome, hope you actually stick around so I'm not the rookie anymore

vCash
    Welcome! Hope you continue to liekt he Isles, as long as you watch games and keep activ ein here youll become a die hard isles fan in minutes haha.

Best player int he draft is Nail Yakupov, a forward, but the Isles will most likely end up with a pick in the 3 to 7 range and select a defenseman. Ryan Murray, Mattew Dumba, Jacob Trouba, and even this Reinhardt guy are all possibilities. They shold all be good NHL dmen.

As far as the leae is concerned, we dont know, know one knows, not even the pliticians or the owner Charles Wang. All we know is that Brooklyn is a solid possibility, even if its only temporary, and areas in Canada and even soem int eh USA are looking for teams. Still highly doubt the Isles move out of state, but it grows slightly more likely y the hour it seems. In the end, I think soemthings done in Nassau. I may be blind to reality, but I just cant see them leaving. I think Wang pays up or some private investors do and it works out,e ven fi its just a renovation. IDK. None of us know, but we have to hope and pray for the best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHj0dMkK6A

New Video. Isles season highlights 2011-12!

vCash
    Why would the Isles want to stay on LI? I know most of the fans are from LI, but wouldn't Brooklyn or Flushing attract more fans, while not alienating the LI fans?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Canon View Post
    Why would the Isles want to stay on LI? I know most of the fans are from LI, but wouldn't Brooklyn or Flushing attract more fans, while not alienating the LI fans?
    That's my argument for them moving to Brooklyn or queens. Not to mention the fans would finally be able to take public transportation to the games. The argument against this is that the overwhelming fan support for this team is based out of Nassau and Suffolk. Any hockey fans in Brooklyn are most likely to be rangers fans.

vCash
    ^No itwouldnt.

Anybody who lives in Brookly, Queens or Manhattan who already likes hockey si a Rangers fan. Moving a tema to Brooklyn would not make more hockey fans, if anything theyd just lose Isles fans who coudl abrely go to games anymroe in Nassau and Suffolk, and its not liek Rangers/Devils fans are gonna say "oh the Isles are closer now, lets root for them". FAT CHANCE lmao.

Yeah I think moving them to brooklyn makes very diffcult for the fans who have been fans the longesta dn where the densest Isles fan population is to go to games. Theres no Isles fans in the city, and moving the Isles there, with the Rags alrady there, wont make city isles fans. It just wont happen.

Brooklyn is obviously better than out of state, but theres no option that beats Nassau. We ust have to hope for a miracle

vCash
    ^i think you're looking at it short term. Think of it in over the course of a decade or 2. Sure 99% of hockey fans in Brooklyn probably root for the rags. But over time that could change. If your arguement was correct then the ducks wouldn't do well next to the kings and the devils wouldn't have succeeded in an area where you once only found rangers and flyers fans. Before the islanders were in Nassau I bet that almost all the hockey fans in that area were rangers fans too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
    ^i think you're looking at it short term. Think of it in over the course of a decade or 2. Sure 99% of hockey fans in Brooklyn probably root for the rags. But over time that could change. If your arguement was correct then the ducks wouldn't do well next to the kings and the devils wouldn't have succeeded in an area where you once only found rangers and flyers fans. Before the islanders were in Nassau I bet that almost all the hockey fans in that area were rangers fans too.
    EXACTLY
    Plus, given a decade or two, there would probably be an expansion of the LIRR to Queens or Brooklyn. The expansion, would allow more LI fans to get to the new stadium w/o driving(ala drinking), fans love to drink and get home safely(watch the 7 train or 4 train this summer). Also, once the Devils and Rangers start sucking, it paves the way for the Islanders.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
    Move the Isles to Brooklyn as long term investment? I think that's the last hting Wang or the NHL want right now.

And yeah, maybe the people in Nassau and Suffolk were Rangers fans, but Im sure some of the reason many Isles fans were born is because many people werent hockey fans but decided to get into it cause there was now a hockey team right next door, and that in Nassau and Suffolk, it would no longer take an hour + to get to a hockey game. It's toally different. Youre takign a team nobody in the city roots for and moving it right next to 2 more popular more successful teams. Even if the Isles get good, the Devils and Rags are run too well and youre not gonna see their fan bases diminish as a result of the Islanders. I just dont see it working, long or short term

vCash
    http://newyorkislandersadrift.blogsp...ys-center.html
    barclays center is horrible for hockey

vCash
    Welcome Cosmic! The more the merrier!

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

vCash
    Having a lot of relatives in Brooklyn. Brooklynnites are pretty independent souls, and many could likely adopt the Isles as their own "home team" and support it well... probably referring to them unofficially as the Brooklyn Coney Islanders LOL There are almost 3,000,000 people (886,000 households) in Brooklynn... I believe the Isles would draw their share, combined with those from LI and Suffolk. If they win, they'll draw.
    Last edited by Titan_Fan; 03-24-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

vCash
    After seeing that picture with seating unless they renovate already Brooklyn looks terrible

vCash
    I understand it'd be the smallest arena, but how important it is to have a "full circle" of a crowd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast