Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Which QB will be have the better career in the NFL?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Matthew Stafford

28 80.00%
  • Jay Cutler

7 20.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by debo0775 View Post
    Stafford's probably going to have bigger numbers. He didn't have (and won't have) a 3 year span without a WR who knew what the **** he was doing.

That said, it does help a QB a ton to have arguably the best WR in the game. I think if you were to switch their roles in 2011, you'd see almost identical stats from the two in the opposite situation. Both are really, really good QBs.
    If you say so..

vCash
    Stafford is also 23 years old. The sky is the limit for Stafford. Cutler is older and has yet to break out.

41 TD's
    5,000 Yards before your 24th Birthday is pretty special.

vCash
    man missed this topic. not to much arguing going on either, nice. Anways the homer in me says stafford, but cutler is right there as well and fadedmario, just seen ur sig LOLOL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fadedmario View Post
    Someone put up Stafford's stats last year with a broken finger wearing the gloves. If Stafford never broke his finger last year he would have had a shot at the TD record and the yardage record. That's a fact.

Cutler is average.
    With gloves: 93-144 for 940 yards (6.5 YPA), 65%, 7 TD/9 INT, 73 QBR
    Without gloves: 328-519 for 4,098 yards (7.9 YPA), 63%, 34 TD/7 INT, 104 QBR
    2013 Adopt-A-Lion: Nick Fairley

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FortDetroit View Post
    With gloves: 93-144 for 940 yards (6.5 YPA), 65%, 7 TD/9 INT, 73 QBR
    Without gloves: 328-519 for 4,098 yards (7.9 YPA), 63%, 34 TD/7 INT, 104 QBR
    Last 2 seasons (16 games) without gloves: 385-615 for 4,633 yards (7.5 YPA), 63%, 40 TD/8 INT, 102 QBR

vCash
    Last 2 seasons (16 games) without gloves: 385-615 for 4,633 yards (7.5 YPA), 63%, 40 TD/8 INT, 102 QBR
    Now post Matt Stafford's stats when throwing to someone other than Calvin Johnson.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsterNat View Post
    How unsurprising. Dude, give up trying to argue with valade. He cut you into little pieces, had you for breakfast, and shat you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Valade you have totally owned this thread. Well done
    My fanbase is growing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fadedmario:21541522
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
    Da hell? Stafford is way more injury prone than Cutler.
    The difference is Stafford plays through his injuries when possible and Cutler sits at the first sign of trouble.
    I assume the two injuries you're talking about are the NFC championship game and last years thumb injury against San Diego.

The truth is that he played for almost an entire quarter with the injury in the champ game before he was forced out by Lovie. He also tried to play through the thumb before the coaching staff noticed that he couldn't make his throws. Jay has not once taken himself out of the game...you people really need to understand that.

Pure Sex.

you have fun with your properly evaluated medical studies....i'll believe my garbage. you believe yours.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Now post Matt Stafford's stats when throwing to someone other than Calvin Johnson.
    I've done it before. Last year he had the same completion percentage throwing to other guys as he did to Calvin. His Qb rating was lower (which is to be expected obviously) but still around 90 IIRC. He threw 25 TDs to players not named Calvin Johnson....which alone would still put him top 10 in the NFL and 2 below Cutler's career high.

Also, when it did it before I also did it for Brady and Gronk...and the differences were similar. I'd imagine it's like that for every QB and their elite target.

EDIT: Here, I did it for Stafford again. Using numbers from profootballfocus.com

325-512, 63.5%, 3370 yards, 25 TD and 12 INT for a QBR of 89 when not throwing to Calvin. (97 QBR-89 QBR = 8 QBR difference from his season QBR)

EDIT: Brady to people other than Gronk:

311-490, 63.5%, 3908 yards, 22 TD and 10 INT for a QBR of 95 when not throwing to Gronk. (105 QBR-95 QBR = 10 QBR difference from his season QBR)

And very interesting......while doing this I decided to look at Cutler/Marshall in 2008 in their "great season". Cutler actually threw more picks (7) than he did TDs (6) when targeting Marshall. He had a lower QBR when throwing to Marshall than he did to the rest of the team (76 vs. 89). He had a significantly lower completion % when throwing to Marshall than he did the rest of the team (59% vs. 64%). Maybe the Cutler/Marshall connection isn't as great as everyone thinks it is? Maybe it's just not as easy as everyone thinks it is to get your best target the ball when they are covered? Who knows, just some food for thought and I found those numbers interesting.
    Last edited by FortDetroit; 03-29-2012 at 10:03 PM.

vCash
    And very interesting......while doing this I decided to look and Cutler/Marshall in 2008 in their "great season". Cutler actually threw more picks (7) than he did TDs (6) when targeting Marshall. He had a lower QBR when throwing to Marshall than he did to the rest of the team (76 vs. 89). He had a significantly lower completion % when throwing to Marshall than he did the rest of the team (59% vs. 64%). Maybe the Cutler/Marshall connection isn't as great as everyone thinks it is? Maybe it's just not as easy as everyone thinks it is to get your best target the ball when they are covered? Who knows, just some food for thought and I found those numbers interesting.

Classic

vCash
    Stafford >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cutler

Jew You Believe In Miracles?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    If you say so..
    Give Calvin to any QB in the league, and they're at least average, and many are top 10.

I'm not saying Stafford isn't good by any means...I think he's incredibly talented. But, it does help a ton to have a 6'5, 230lb target that runs a 4.35 forty, and you're frankly being stupid if you don't consider that.

vCash
    The difference is Stafford plays through his injuries when possible and Cutler sits at the first sign of trouble.
    You know, minus the parts where Stafford played through his injuries due to needing surgery.

Jay had a torn MCL in the NFCCG and was taken out after playing a quarter + on the injury, and Jay had a broken thumb. A broken finger is unquestionably hard to play with, a broken thumb makes it impossible to play well as a QB - try throwing a ball without a thumb. Add in to that that he's diabetic and cannot receive many painkillers that are hypodermic, and you have situations where a QB can't play due to health.

But, oh well. We'll see what happens this year. Both teams were playing great, and before our entire offense got hurt, we were in 2nd place in the division. 2012 should be fun.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by debo0775 View Post
    Give Calvin to any QB in the league, and they're at least average, and many are top 10.

I'm not saying Stafford isn't good by any means...I think he's incredibly talented. But, it does help a ton to have a 6'5, 230lb target that runs a 4.35 forty, and you're frankly being stupid if you don't consider that.

No kidding it helps. Any QB would be helped out throwing to Calvin rather than some scrub WR. But as for the bolded, thats ridiculous...football just doesn't work that way....case in point....

Drew Stanton: 63 QB Rating with Calvin.
    Daunte Culpepper: 64 QB Rating with Calvin.
    Jon Kitna: 77 Career QB Rating. 79 QB Rating with Calvin.
    Shaun Hill: 84 Career QB Rating. 81 QB Rating with Calvin.
    Dan Orlovsky: 76 Career QB Rating. 73 Qb Rating with Calvin.

Or another elite WR...

John Skelton: 67 QB Rating with Larry Fitzgerald.
    Kevin Kolb: 77 Career Qb Rating. 81 Qb Rating with Fitzgerald.
    Derek Anderson: 69 Career Qb Rating. 66 Qb Rating with Fitzgerald.

Those are the QBs Calvin and Fitz have had recently not counting Stafford and Kurt Warner. Not one of those QBs was even average throwing to the two best receivers in the NFL. I guess you could argue Kolb or Kitna is but they were already average you could argue. Stafford is very good because he's very good...not because of Calvin.
    Last edited by FortDetroit; 03-30-2012 at 12:24 AM.

vCash

Matthew Stafford vs Jay Cutler

Very close.. Megatron makes Stafford so much better, I'll take Cutler
    Last edited by Jint.; 03-30-2012 at 12:31 AM.

vCash
    I've tried to stay away from this thread. But, I'll give my opinion. Stafford has great tools. He is an incredible talent and finally had a chance to show off that talent. He should be great for a long time. I'm sure Lions fans love him, as I probably would if I was a Lions fan. That said, I wouldn't trade Jay Cutler for any QB not named Aaron Rodgers (Maybe Cam Newton; I love to watch Cam Newton play football. Cam will never be an elite passer IMO, but he is so damn exciting). I don't care what anyone thinks of that opinion. Call me a homer or an idiot I don't care.

I've never seen a QB in a Bears uniform that can do what Jay does. When I consider the crap he has dealt with in Chicago I just like him even more. Fans from other teams can bash him for the NFC Champ Game, I don't care. It should be obvious to any Bears fan that he is the leader of this team and he wins games for this team. He doesn't have to be a 5000 yard passer to be a great QB for this team. We can win a Super Bowl with Jay Cutler under center. I don't want any other QB.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast