Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Browns thinking of taking Tannehill with the #4 overall pick

The Cleveland Browns are thinking of selecting Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill with the fourth overall pick in next month's NFL draft, sources with knowledge of the situation said Thursday.

The possibility exists that three quarterbacks could be taken with the first four picks in the draft. This is a time when teams commonly raise pre-draft smoke screens and engage in subterfuge, but several sources said the Browns are monitoring Tannehill closely and have favorable scouting reports on him thus far.

NFL.com's Gil Brandt reported that Tannehill impressed team reps on hand with his throwing performance at Thursday's Texas A&M pro day.

The Browns had been deep in trade talks to acquire the No. 2 overall pick so they could draft Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III, though that slot eventually went to the Washington Redskins.

While the Browns have supported incumbent starter Colt McCoy, it's also very clear they are open to upgrading at the quarterback position. There is a steep dropoff in draft talent at quarterback after Tannehill, and Miami, which picks eighth overall, also is high on him. Dolphins offensive coordinator Mike Sherman coached Tannehill in college.

Cleveland, which traded down a year ago, would listen to offers to do so again, should another team want to leapfrog Miami or make a move for Tannehill or other prospects. But if the Browns stay at No. 4 and continue to like what they see and hear from Tannehill, they would seriously consider him with that pick.

Tannehill has spent the past three months training at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., and the past several weeks working daily with Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton and quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke, who trained Newton last year during the lockout. Newton has been raving about Tannehill, sources said, and Tannehill is expected to continue to create considerable buzz heading into the draft.
    source

would be an incredible dumb move if they did so, why not trade for a cheaper QB like Ryan Mallet?

i think it is far too high a pick to spend on tannehill.it is so hard to tell what qbs will mae the transition smoothly into the nfl that i just wouldn't risk it,more value can be had with the number four pick,i would be very mindful of best possible player that high or trade out of the four position and add picks,giving you options rather than being locked in to one guy.

High pick for the 3rd QB on the board. I'm thinking they can trade back or maybe even get him or someone similar to him in the second.

Quote Originally Posted by EricU812 View Post
    High pick for the 3rd QB on the board. I'm thinking they can trade back or maybe even get him or someone similar to him in the second.
    I think this happens every year. The Quarterback that just misses out on being considered among the best always gets a bump because he's the "best of the rest".

Please take him

Wouldn't waiting to like the 5th round for Kirk cousins be smarter? Tannehill has nice up side and youll have to wait on either. Tanneheill is not going to change a franchise to the extent that Luck and Griffin can, so why would you take him when you can take 2 studs at 4 and 22 seeing your not going to get out of the rebuilding mode with wasting the 4 pick on tannehill.

They won't draft him. This is to increase demand and get desperate teams, such as the Dolphins, to trade up for him. But if they do draft him, so be it.

and this is why they are the Browns.

^ Yup.

draft blackmon and then draft his QB (whos 28) in the later rounds.

this would be awesome bc im a steeler fan and this would be a huge mistake for them

Bluff...You don't pass on Trent Richardson

I pray they do. I think he's going to average at best. I can't imagine going to Cleveland would be a great fit for him.

QB's are always going to be taken to high, there has been a lot of Tannehill love lately though, so I can see why they'd take him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast