28 80.00%
  • Dallas Cowboys

5 14.29%
  • GMs vote here (Yeah...Here Ebbs)

2 5.71%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

PSD Mock Offseason Divisional Playoffs: Giants vs Cowboys

NOTE: THIS IS A GAME WE HAVE BEEN PLAYING, NOT REAL LIFE

So basically, for the last 2 months, several of us have been acting as the General Manager of an NFL team. Why would we do this? Everyone likes acting as the GM of their favorite team and fixing things that need fixing and adding players they feel their teams needs. That's what a lot of us did. Most people worked fairly hard on this and now we are asking the entire PSD population to help us vote on who you feel is the better team and would win certain playoff match-ups.

We also ask that you at least mention why you voted for a team. Even if it is as simple "I think team A's passing game would beat team B" or "Team B would win because they have homefield advantage"

To the Matchups:

The Giants Have Home Field Advantage

New York Giants
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Dahh Sneak View Post
    Roster:
    QB: Eli Manning, Brady Quinn, Jimmy Clausen
    RB: Ahmad Bradshaw, Brandon Jacobs, Armando Allen, DJ Ware, Da'rel Scott
    FB: Henry Hynoski
    WR: Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz, Kendall Wright, Golden Tate, Jerrel Jernigan, Ramses Barden
    TE: Jake Ballard, Bear Pascoe, Travis Beckum
    T: Will Beatty, Max Starks, James Brewer
    G: Chris Snee, Ben Grubbs, Mitch Petrus
    C: Kevin Boothe, Jim Cordle

DE: Jason Pierre-Paul, Justin Tuck, Kroy Biermann, Clint Sintim
    DT: Chris Canty, Marvin Austin, Rocky Bernard, Ian Williams
    LB: Jon Vilma, Michael Boley, Mark Herzlich, Greg Jones, Spencer Paysinger
    CB: Corey Webster, Brent Grimes, Prince Amukamara, Robert Blanton, Josh Norman
    S: Kenny Phillips, Earl Thomas, Tom Zbikowski, Tyler Sash, Chad Jones

K: Lawrence Tynes
    P: Steve Weatherford
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Dahh Sneak
    The simple version goes like this. The Giants have a good offense and the Cowboys have an average/below average defense. The Cowboys have a good offense and the Giants have a great defense.

To delve into it a little bit.
    The Giants offense last season was carried by Eli and the passing game that consisted of Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks. It was a change from the usual run-run-pass play calling fans were used to from OC Kevin Gilbride. That was due to having the worst ranked rushing offense in the league. To combat that, David Baas and David Diehl are gone. Kevin Boothe (who did an excellent job last season) and the great Ben Grubbs along with the All-Pro Chris Snee make up the interior OL and reinvigorate the run game and more importantly – the balance. This unit should be able to control the LOS with the average DL unit the Cowboys have. The loss of Mario Manningham really isn’t a loss either, as he made more dumb plays than good ones. I decided to replace him with the likes of Golden Tate, and rookie big play extraordinaire, Kendall Wright. Nicks, Cruz, and Tate all have the ability to go across the middle and make the tough catch, as well as blowing the top off the secondary. Now, it remains to be seen if Wright can do the former, but he could definitely do the latter. This secondary has my passing unit licking their lips to kick some Cowboy *** because there is no way they could stop it.

Now, onto where the good football would be played: the Cowboys offense versus the Giants defense. Immediately you notice that their offense is improved. The additions of Steve Smith and Ryan Kalil would be welcomed by any team in the league. However, my defense owns the best secondary in the league. The disastrous Aaron Ross and notsohotincoverage Antrel Rolle are gone. All four starters are complete studs at their position. Earl Thomas and Kenny Phillips are the next great safeties and Brent Grimes and Corey Webster have proven year after year they can shut down the premier receivers the league has to offer. The ability of the guys in the secondary can allow for KP to start creeping into the box and wreaking havoc versus the run game. Not only that – the DL contains studs Jason Pierre-Paul and Justin Tuck ready to kill Romo and Murray. The acquisition of Jon Vilma also fills the two giant voids the Giants’ D have had for a while – a stud linebacker, and a leader on the field.

This Giants team has improved tenfold compared to the squad that won the Super Bowl. This Cowboys team could put up a fight, but not for 4 quarters. Not at MetLife Stadium.

Dallas Cowboys
    Quote Originally Posted by ebbs View Post
    Starting Line-Up:
    Code:
    Offense:
    QB - Tony Romo
    HB - DeMarco Murray
    FB - Tony Fiametta
    FL - Miles Austin
    SE - Steve Smith (CAR)
    Slot - Laurent Robinson
    WR4 - Andre Roberts
    TE - Jason Witten
    LT - Matt Light
    LG - Kyle Kosier
    C - Ryan Kalil
    RG - Jake Scott
    RT - Tyron Smith

Defense:
    DE - Kenyon Coleman
    NT - Jay Ratliff
    DE - Jason Hatcher
    OLB - DeMarcus Ware
    ILB - Kevin Burnett
    ILB - Sean Lee
    OLB - Ahmad Brooks
    LCB - Richard Sherman
    RCB - Mike Jenkins
    NB - Alphonso Smith
    DB - 
    FS - Kendrick Lewis
    SS - LaRon Landry

Special Teams:
    K - Dan Bailey
    P - Chris Jones
    LS - LP Ladoucer
    KR - Brandon Tate
    PR - Brandon Tate

Giants win this and should enter the Super Bowl with ease. No offense to the Lions but the Giants and Texans are just absolute powerhouses.

The Giants won the Super Bowl last year, but they still had plenty of flaws. I think the Cowboys pass rush would have a field day here. Will Beatty has barely proven he's worthy of a full-time starting job, and Max Starks is probably done. He's a guy who has struggled with his weight, and just had a debilitating knee injury. Ware and Brooks would tee off on them. That being said, I love what the Giants did with their secondary. This is really tough for me. I think that I'll have to go with the Giants, because I think Eli has a better chance of throwing against the Cowboys secondary than Romo against the Giants secondary, even with a worse OL. I would easily take the Giants running game over the Cowboys as well. Murray is not a dependable feature back as far as I'm concerned.

Giants are stacked. so much weapons on offense, and a pretty good defense. Cowboys are pretty good too but I don't think they'd beat this Giants team with home-field advantage.

27-17 Giants

This one is pretty lopsided for NYG as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Having 4 All Pros on offense=fairy tale.
    Having a look in your eye=key to NFL success.

think its actually fairly close here that cowboys line is very good but giants secondary is solid and with home field think they'd pull it out

Quote Originally Posted by PocketKings View Post
    Giants win this and should enter the Super Bowl with ease. No offense to the Lions but the Giants and Texans are just absolute powerhouses.
    You think the Giants are a powerhouse? I think their offense is pretty bad if you ask me. Bradshaw and Jacobs are a nice duo, but nothing special. I love Eli. The offensive line is pretty freaking bad, two totally untrustworthy tackles, although the guards are sexy. Kevin Boothe at center is pretty meh, they could have upgraded that. They lost Manningham and replaced him with a rookie, which I really hate. Jake Ballard tore his ACL in the Super Bowl, so you have to wonder what he's going to be like next season. The same goes for Travis Beckum. So, Bear Pascoe is the only reliable TE health-wise. I could see the Lions beating this Giants team, regardless of how good their defense is. Just because a team wins the Super Bowl in my opinion doesn't necessary make them the BEST team in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    You think the Giants are a powerhouse? I think their offense is pretty bad if you ask me. Bradshaw and Jacobs are a nice duo, but nothing special. I love Eli. The offensive line is pretty freaking bad, two totally untrustworthy tackles, although the guards are sexy. Kevin Boothe at center is pretty meh, they could have upgraded that. They lost Manningham and replaced him with a rookie, which I really hate. Jake Ballard tore his ACL in the Super Bowl, so you have to wonder what he's going to be like next season. The same goes for Travis Beckum. So, Bear Pascoe is the only reliable TE health-wise. I could see the Lions beating this Giants team, regardless of how good their defense is. Just because a team wins the Super Bowl in my opinion doesn't necessary make them the BEST team in the NFL.
    Yes, I think the Giants are a powerhouse. Offensively they may not be on par with the only other true powerhouse being the Texans but defensively this team is straight sex. They have a pretty damn awesome secondary paired with a great DE tandem. Can we say turnovers galore?

Bradshaw and Jacobs, WHEN HEALTHY which I understand hasn't been the case recently, can be a very nice duo but the one thing the Giants OL hasn't really had a power dynamic and even with their "weak" tackles they have a nice interior OL with Grubbs - Boothe (blah) - Snee which gives them a chance at being a much better power football team.

I think the Giants would be better off having Golden Tate play that 3rd WR role with Wright as the 4th WR which would benefit them perception wise. But I still see this team as a very strong offense because their main cog's in Eli - Bradshaw - Nicks - Cruz are all there. I think their TE rotation is pretty mediocre especially considering that Ballard won't be fully himself after that ACL tear.

Honestly, the Cowboys offense is better. No doubt about that in my mind honestly, but defensively that unit is really well put together if you ask me. They have one slight hole on that defense and that is their WILL backer but outside of that that defense can be dominant.

Dallas fails for their run game. Sorry, IDC how good that OL is, that can't be your lead back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Having 4 All Pros on offense=fairy tale.
    Having a look in your eye=key to NFL success.

Quote Originally Posted by PocketKings View Post
    Yes, I think the Giants are a powerhouse. Offensively they may not be on par with the only other true powerhouse being the Texans but defensively this team is straight sex. They have a pretty damn awesome secondary paired with a great DE tandem. Can we say turnovers galore?

Bradshaw and Jacobs, WHEN HEALTHY which I understand hasn't been the case recently, can be a very nice duo but the one thing the Giants OL hasn't really had a power dynamic and even with their "weak" tackles they have a nice interior OL with Grubbs - Boothe (blah) - Snee which gives them a chance at being a much better power football team.

I think the Giants would be better off having Golden Tate play that 3rd WR role with Wright as the 4th WR which would benefit them perception wise. But I still see this team as a very strong offense because their main cog's in Eli - Bradshaw - Nicks - Cruz are all there. I think their TE rotation is pretty mediocre especially considering that Ballard won't be fully himself after that ACL tear.

Honestly, the Cowboys offense is better. No doubt about that in my mind honestly, but defensively that unit is really well put together if you ask me. They have one slight hole on that defense and that is their WILL backer but outside of that that defense can be dominant.
    I agree with most of what you've said here, but I still have a hard time considering a team a powerhouse with an offense like that.

I think the Giants win this, honey childs

I would also say their DTs flat out suck. Canty was good last year, but he was pretty awful the two years before that in New York. I don't know if the 4-3 light flipped on for him, or it was just an aberration. Marvin Austin has played a total of 0 games over the past two seasons (including college), so he's a pretty awful starter. I could honestly see a team with a strong interior line and running back having their way in the run game here. Of course, the Cowboys aren't that type of team.

Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    Dallas fails for their run game. Sorry, IDC how good that OL is, that can't be your lead back.
    Just for argument sake, when Murray was playing he was able to be a workhorse leading up to a pretty fluky injury. I mean I know he has an injury history in college and that injury he suffered only adds to that, but I think he can be a workhorse if he can stay healthy which has been the plague of his career.

I guess I can see what you're saying after laying the logic out. :P

Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    I agree with most of what you've said here, but I still have a hard time considering a team a powerhouse with an offense like that.
    Fine by me, as long as I'm not off-the-wall with what I'm saying son.

db75 Guest
    NYG wins this in what might be one of the most obvious wins in this mock.

Still can't believe that the Cowboys made it.

Although I will say, I do think with this Cowboys team they could exploit the Laurent vs Prince match-up. I mean Laurent in this offense showed his effectiveness playing with and behind Miles/Dez already but now playing behind Smith/Miles.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast