Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: True/False:The NFLMC legally imposed salary cap penalties on the Cowboys/Redskins.

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • True

24 46.15%
  • False

28 53.85%
  • Undecided

0 0%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Was it LEGAL for the NFL to penalize the Redskins/Cowboys for uncapped season moves?

I know there's another thread concerning this topic, but I didn't see a poll and I think that 75% of the chat involving the issue got really tainted by whether or not each commenting fan likes or dislikes one of the penalized teams. Look, I am a Redskins fan, so it is obvious that I'm gonna hate the move made by the NFL. Duh. What good fan of their team wouldn't, right? And that obviously makes me pretty biased when I start hunting for info about whether this was or was not a "legal" move by the NFL. So, the point of this thread is to put all our biases aside and share objective opinions about "the issue". I'd like to hear from fans of other teams. We have beat this thing to death in the Redskins forum.

Do you believe it was really legal or not for the NFL to penalize the Cowboys and Redskins concerning their moves during the uncapped season?

Dan Graziano (of nfl.com) seems to believe this will result in an antitrust suit against the league and that the NFLPA might use this as evidence to reopen a collusion case against the league too. Here's a link to his thoughts: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post...uld-be-talking

no but at this point it looks like its gonna stick

In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    to me I dont think it was right, it was uncaped and as long as they had the money I see no problem

‎"If your going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big"

-Rem Koolhaas

I hate when my boss warns me not to do something or else there will be consequences. Then I do it anyway and I get in trouble. SO UNFAIR!!!!!

I'm sure it must have been "legal" or else I doubt Goodell would've made the move. That being said, I think its stupid and childish, and I think every fan of the nfl should oppose what happened. Goodell "telling" a team not to do something doesn't mean ****, in a multibillion dollar business you need to put the **** in clear writing, not a nod, a wink, and a shoulder nudge. I'm not a cowboys or redskins fan, but that whole situation really bothers me

Quote Originally Posted by Mudvayneowns91 View Post
    I hate when my boss warns me not to do something or else there will be consequences. Then I do it anyway and I get in trouble. SO UNFAIR!!!!!
    The issue isn't fair vs unfair. It's legal vs illegal. And the NFLMC is not Snyder's or Jones boss. They are a regulation committee that exists to examine and enforce contracts and NFL rules concerning fair play and the wellbeing of the NFL business as a whole ... not to be a "boss".

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    I'm sure it must have been "legal" or else I doubt Goodell would've made the move. That being said, I think its stupid and childish, and I think every fan of the nfl should oppose what happened. Goodell "telling" a team not to do something doesn't mean ****, in a multibillion dollar business you need to put the **** in clear writing, not a nod, a wink, and a shoulder nudge. I'm not a cowboys or redskins fan, but that whole situation really bothers me
    He was pretty damn clear there were going to be consequences. It wasn't like he nonchalantly warned the other 28 teams and conveniently forgot to mention it to the other 4. I don't give a damn about either team as well. But it does annoy me that these teams are trying to play the victim card and act like they thought they were doing no wrong when 88% (94% if you don't count Raiders/Saints) of the league was able to abide by what Goodell was asking.

It was an uncapped year. Unless there was something in the cba that stated that they couldn't treat it like an uncapped year, it's illegal. The uncapped year was put in to force both sides to have a new cba before it got to the uncapped year. The nfl is wrong on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by justOmazing View Post
    The issue isn't fair vs unfair. It's legal vs illegal. And the NFLMC is not Snyder's or Jones boss. They are a regulation committee that exists to examine and enforce contracts and NFL rules concerning fair play and the wellbeing of the NFL business as a whole ... not to be a "boss".
    Yeah.... I got it. I was just it as an example to show why I think it's bogus.

As for what your thread is trying to ask, it's kinda pointless unless we have a bunch of lawyers on our hands that deal with the NFL, if you really want to get into it. Especially since the common PSD member really doesn't know what was said and written and so on. Outsiders looking in if you will.

We'll find out soon if it is or not though.

LOL at the OP, come on PSD lawyers, show your legal stuff..this should provide lots of laughs!

He was pretty damn clear there were going to be consequences. It wasn't like he nonchalantly warned the other 28 teams and conveniently forgot to mention it to the other 4. I don't give a damn about either team as well. But it does annoy me that these teams are trying to play the victim card and act like they thought they were doing no wrong when 88% (94% if you don't count Raiders/Saints) of the league was able to abide by what Goodell was asking.
    Okay so what about this?

First, many other teams did the same thing by front loading contracts in 2010 and did not get penalized for it. Here's a link to show a few of them: http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/10...ntitled1-1.jpg (FIXED)

Second, here's a quote from an article that discusses this issue:

“All NFL contracts are approved by the NFL Management Council. Curious that there is now punishment for these contracts.”

If the league had a problem with the restructuring of these two deals, then why not handle the situation when it happened rather than waiting a year and dropping a bombshell 24 hours before the start of free agency? That’s nothing but evil and vindictive. That’s expected behavior from a scorned ex-girlfriend. Not the commissioner of a billion-dollar business.
    source: http://www.homermcfanboy.com/2012/03...odell-the-nfl/
    Last edited by justOmazing; 03-29-2012 at 11:51 PM. Reason: fixing link

Quote Originally Posted by justOmazing View Post
    Okay so what about this?

First, many other teams did the same thing by front loading contracts in 2010 and did not get penalized for it. Here's a link to show a few of them: http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/10...ntitled1-1.jpg (FIXED)

Second, here's a quote from an article that discusses this issue:

source: http://www.homermcfanboy.com/2012/03...odell-the-nfl/
    Damn, THE Homer McFanBoy? You're probably right.As I said, unless everything that was said and given from the NFL is present, I'm going to be skeptical. A excerpt isn't going to change that.

Maybe it is illegal, maybe it was legal. I don't think anyone of us are really qualified. If you feel you are, that's your prerogative. I'm going to wait to see how this turns out in courts as I am not qualified. I'll be willing to be bet it's far from as cut and dry as you're making it out to be.

That's a cop out. Raiders got penalized for releasing Jamarcus Russell. what kinda bs is that? So because a deal didn't get done and the year was uncapped we're supposed to eat up another year of his salary and keep him on the roster just to please Goodell's dumb ***? That makes no sense, and the raider example just shows how stupid and sloppy the whole situation truly is. Cowboys and skins got done dirty, they paid a price for something that was not in writing. Maybe in a treehouse club that works, but in a billion dollar business, no.

Yeah.... I got it. I was just it as an example to show why I think it's bogus.

As for what your thread is trying to ask, it's kinda pointless unless we have a bunch of lawyers on our hands that deal with the NFL, if you really want to get into it. Especially since the common PSD member really doesn't know what was said and written and so on. Outsiders looking in if you will.

We'll find out soon if it is or not though.
    Good point, but at the same time... PSD is all about sharing information. Sometimes, one of us comes across a pretty good point to share with others. Seems like a lot of the guys in sports-law, like this guy, seem to think the Skins/Boys have a pretty good case.

This has happened in Baseball and the owners were sued for collusion and forced to pay $280 million in damages..... The Cowboys and Redskins will win because there is precedent for this in sports.

Marcus Mariota

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast