Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 18 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YEDB90 View Post
    Hanson is a fantastic slot corner. You guys are crazy.
    Hanson is good at what he does. He is physical, and he is experienced. He is not a guy who shuts down an opponent, but his coverage is definitely above average.

I think it's overstating the point to categorize him as fantastic.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised in the least to see him overtaken by one of the younger corners by the time the regular season starts. The Eagles drafted RB turned CB Curtis Marsh in the third round last year, and with his size and another year of training, he could overtake Hanson. He wasn't drafted just to sit on the bench.

Brandon Hughes also is willing to play tough physically.

Also, keep in mind that last year Joselio Hanson was dropped at the final roster cuts. He was re-signed, of course, for a more favorable contract for the Eagles.

The Eagles may even draft yet another CB this offseason. Nothing is taken be taken for granted. Hanson's good, but others may be able to do better by the time the regular season rolls around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggle View Post
    Hanson is good at what he does. He is physical, and he is experienced. He is not a guy who shuts down an opponent, but his coverage is definitely above average.

I think it's overstating the point to categorize him as fantastic.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised in the least to see him overtaken by one of the younger corners by the time the regular season starts. The Eagles drafted RB turned CB Curtis Marsh in the third round last year, and with his size and another year of training, he could overtake Hanson. He wasn't drafted just to sit on the bench.

Brandon Hughes also is willing to play tough physically.

Also, keep in mind that last year Joselio Hanson was dropped at the final roster cuts. He was re-signed, of course, for a more favorable contract for the Eagles.

The Eagles may even draft yet another CB this offseason. Nothing is taken be taken for granted. Hanson's good, but others may be able to do better by the time the regular season rolls around.
    I know, and I was surprised when it happened. But I was also surprised when they let Dawk and Mikell walk and I still think they were both dumb decisions. Not everything the Eagles do personnel-wise is a good decision.

I think they cut him because he was on a pretty big contract for a #4, not because of his play.
    “Football players, like prostitutes, are in the business of ruining their bodies for the pleasure of strangers”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman36 View Post
    I know, and I was surprised when it happened. But I was also surprised when they let Dawk and Mikell walk and I still think they were both dumb decisions. Not everything the Eagles do personnel-wise is a good decision.

I think they cut him because he was on a pretty big contract for a #4, not because of his play.
    Exactly. The Eagles felt like they had three corners better than Joselio Hanson. It was hoped that Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie and Nnamdi Asomugha would be upgrades in the slot over Joselio Hanson. His contract was a part of what made the Eagles feel that he was expendable, but the other part was the ceiling of his play; he's not going to get much better than this.

Going into this season, even without drafting another player, the Eagles may feel like they have three corners (with Hughes and Marsh in addition to the big names) better than Joselio Hanson.

But, presumably the Eagles will draft a CB at some point to help with fill the hole left by trading Asante Samuel. Depending on when that guy is drafted, that guy too may be evaluated as being a better option than Hanson. Hanson could be anywhere between the third to sixth best corner on the team when the competition shakes out. We'll see.

Hanson is good at what he does, and now his contract isn't as much of an issue as it was, but teams are always looking for someone even better.

If you're not getting better then you're getting worse.

vCash
    hah and i don feel so crazy either.

I guess hes just a love hate player lol.

Either way this is what i do know. I would love to see Curtis Marsh develop and have a great off-seeson

vCash
    [QUOTE=FLYER-FAN;21627678]Hanson 2 years ago per football insider and their crazy numbers ranked
    Hanson the #1 slot cover corner in the league.....so yeah not sire how he got burnt 9/10 times.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyfreak3333 View Post
    I agree. Hanson might be the best slot corner on the team and Asante definitely can't handle the slot receiver because he's not physical enough.[/

Personally' I don't care what the football insider says.I watch the Eagles game every week and I know what I see,Hanson does get beat more times than not he is a very overrated cover guy....

When will people start to think for themselves and stop letting others do the thinking for them " the media " ...
    I haven't missed an eagles game since I was 6. I don't doubt you watch the games, but you clearly know nothing about football. Just because they're hyped doesn't mean they're bad. I'm pretty sure Asante is hyped a bit more than Hanson and I'd choose Hanson. Think about it Mike Florio.

vCash
    imho Hanson is overrated.He is a decent situational player.

vCash
    IMHO, Hanson is a great slot CB.

Also in the vast majority of people who do know football's opinions.

Happy Summer 2014. Welcome it in with half an hour of awesome, courtesy of yours truly - Patrick Montgomery - and my new EDM megamix, Why You Heff to Bang Mad?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by themoleculoman View Post
    Were the players his responsibility? There were many instances where I would see Hanson as the closest guy to a player making a big catch in the middle, but in many cases it wasn't his man.
    that's what I was thinking. Our linebackers were horrible on pass defense and we got that exploited a lot and i feel hanson would always be the guy reading the pass and making sure to get there and back up the play.

If you want to truly evaluate hanson, watch a game and keep your eye on him the entire time, see whether the guy catching the ball is the man he started off on or someone else's man he just happened to be close to.

I do feel they need to do something with regards to their corners, they have 3 man to man corners, and a real good nickel guy, somebody needs to go and unfort, Asante is the goat.

too bad hanson is only 5'9, he would probably be a good safety.

This is how we do it! I still believe

vCash
    There is some irony in people using 2010's Football Outsider stats to hoist Hanson to greatness while completely ignoring Asante Samuel's stat from both seasons. Statistically speaking, Asante had a great year last year by their analyses; he was the Eagles' best statistical corner. It really wasn't even close.

But somehow we're all able to see past that point.

Of course, stats don't tell the whole story. Results matter, and Asante Samuel's calling card is turnovers through occasional freelancing. The turnovers didn't come as much as they should have, and his freelancing seemingly cost the Eagles yardage or even games. However, maybe that has more to do with the loss of Mikell and the instability of Allen, Page, and Coleman throughout the system than it has much to do with Samuel. We nearly all agree that the Safeties were a tremendous disappointment last season. Who relies on Safeties more when gambling than Samuel?

Maybe the blame should fall on Castillo and the now fired secondary coach, in addition to Samuel and the Safeties' errors.

Hanson is a solid tackler, and at times it seems like he is the only member of the Eagles' secondary who is capable of making a tackle. It's arguable that on the Eagles, Hanson is a fantastic tackler.

But by the way he is being hoisted as a "fantastic" for his all around slot play, you would think that the Eagles were able to negate "fantastic" slot WRs.

Now, I am aware that Castillo was doing funky things on schemes, and so the numbers won't tell the whole story, but... Wes Welker is one of the league's more fantastic players in the slot. In the game, against mixed coverages, Welker ended with 8 catches for 115 yards and 2 TDs.

One of the TDs came against a blown zone assignment. Either Hanson was supposed to go with Welker but didn't and/or Allen failed in his assignment. Hanson ended up covering no one, but he was spying the backfield. However, at the time of the release of the pass, Chaney was already guarding the RB and the backfield was empty. Absolutely no one was in range of Hanson. But... Nate Allen did seem to have responsibility for Welker. Welker does a stutter step when Allen approaches, and it is game over. Welker gets a 41 yard TD after a moderately deep TD, and runs into the end zone untouched. With double coverage, there is no pass. With competency on Allen's part, there is no TD.

[As an aside: Watching that New England game footage again reminded me of how completely awful the Safety play was for the first 1/2 to 3/4 of the season. It was terrible. It no doubt had an effect on every corner, but especially the outside guys. The Safeties were juked at least twice for significant gains. On a Branch play earlier in the game, Allen and Coleman looked like the Two Stooges.]

The other Welker TD was Hanson's responsibility in man coverage with help over the top. Welker does bounce it to the outside, and the help goes to another player. Brady makes the routine sideline throw to Welker to make the routine sideline throw for the TD. Hanson had no chance. A "fantastic" corner would have made it look more difficult, but even a "fantastic" corner is going to lose some. With Hanson in coverage though, it looked routine.

I'm not going to pretend that Hanson was in coverage with Welker the whole game, but to some degree the question could be asked: why wasn't he? If he's so "fantastic" against slot types, then why wouldn't he be the guy to shackle another team's opposing "fantastic" slot player? The answer seems to have at least as much to do with Hanson's ability as it does with Castillo's (especially when the second touchdown is evaluated); Castillo has taken his share of the blame. However, a "fantastic" corner should be able to go head to head with Wes Welker; Hanson looked just as helpless as anyone else against him.

I'm not saying that Joselio Hanson sucks; he is good at what he does. I just think that people are giving him more credit than he is due. He is good; he's not great. In today's NFL, Trent Cole is a great defensive end. In today's NFL, Jason Peters is a great offensive tackle. LeSean McCoy is a great RB, and when uninjured, Vick is a great QB. Joselio Hanson is a solid nickel corner. Brian Rolle is a pretty good LB. Notice the difference. When you lose a great player; you panic. Great players dominate, regardless of the competition. Good players will do, most of the time, but they can always be replaced.

Hanson is tough, and his style of play is likable, but he isn't some guy who couldn't be replaced by a mid round draft pick, CB Brandon Hughes, or hopefully even CB Curtis Marsh. With those other options though (particularly in the draft or with Marsh), there's the opportunity to have a guy with return potential and outside potential -- neither of which Hanson provides. Hanson does what he does well, but that's it.

The Eagles should pursue greatness at every position, within reason. When searching for Asante Samuel's replacement on the active roster, I'm pretty sure that they will also be looking for Joselio Hanson's. I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see a CB drafted in the first four rounds.
    Last edited by Iggle; 04-08-2012 at 12:47 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tymathee View Post
    too bad hanson is only 5'9, he would probably be a good safety.
    I agree with that. From what I've seen, he's among the Eagles' best tacklers. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see Hanson get a shot at Safety. The Eagles seem to love to move CBs over to S before letting them go (like with Macho Harris and Dmitri Patterson).

Despite his height, Hanson is muscular for a corner. However, his strength seems to be playing up near players, and making physical contact before and after the catch. I'm even going to pretend that I know how well he reads plays or plays in zone. I've just never known for him to be the ball hawking type.

Stranger things have happened, particularly with the Eagles.

Right now the Eagles' Safety options look like:

Kurt Coleman: bad in coverage, lapses in tackles, good effort, limited physical ability.
    Nate Allen: coming off of injury, lapses in coverage reading, several bad first moves last year, had a decent rookie season.
    Jaiquawn Jarrett: couldn't get on the field consistently, looked invisible in special teams, showed decent effort when on the field.
    Colt Anderson: coming off a major injury, fantastic on special teams, unimpressive as a safety.
    Tom Nelson: don't know much of anything about him, looks high as hell in his official photo, former undrafted and practice squad guy.

So, who knows. Maybe Hanson would get a shot there.
    Last edited by Iggle; 04-08-2012 at 01:00 PM.

vCash
    I wouldn't be shocked to see the Eagles target a CB to play in the nickel and a slot WR this year. Long term they need to replace both and from what I have been reading they could be targeting both positions. I guess the question is how they view Marsh and could he be a replacement, it’s pretty hard to say given what we have seen so far. We have DRC, Hanson, and Hughes in contract years and we can’t sign all of them so this year will be about finding replacements and cheaper solutions. Avant will make close to 4 Million in 2014 and there is no way they will pay a slot receiver 4 Million. If you can find a good slot guy like maybe Adams who can also play on special teams that would be a huge plus. We can role the savings at WR into paying for DRC and McCoy.
    Last edited by EaglesFan290; 04-08-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Desean Jackson improving the Eagles Community Relations one stripper at a time …………. Don’t be a hypocrite D, pay her even if she sucked last year!!!!

EAGLES FAN 4 LIFE !!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggle View Post
    There is some irony in people using 2010's Football Outsider stats to hoist Hanson to greatness while completely ignoring Asante Samuel's stat from both seasons. Statistically speaking, Asante had a great year last year by their analyses; he was the Eagles' best statistical corner. It really wasn't even close.

But somehow we're all able to see past that point.

Of course, stats don't tell the whole story. Results matter, and Asante Samuel's calling card is turnovers through occasional freelancing. The turnovers didn't come as much as they should have, and his freelancing seemingly cost the Eagles yardage or even games. However, maybe that has more to do with the loss of Mikell and the instability of Allen, Page, and Coleman throughout the system than it has much to do with Samuel. We nearly all agree that the Safeties were a tremendous disappointment last season. Who relies on Safeties more when gambling than Samuel?

Maybe the blame should fall on Castillo and the now fired secondary coach, in addition to Samuel and the Safeties' errors.

Hanson is a solid tackler, and at times it seems like he is the only member of the Eagles' secondary who is capable of making a tackle. It's arguable that on the Eagles, Hanson is a fantastic tackler.

But by the way he is being hoisted as a "fantastic" for his all around slot play, you would think that the Eagles were able to negate "fantastic" slot WRs.

Now, I am aware that Castillo was doing funky things on schemes, and so the numbers won't tell the whole story, but... Wes Welker is one of the league's more fantastic players in the slot. In the game, against mixed coverages, Welker ended with 8 catches for 115 yards and 2 TDs.

One of the TDs came against a blown zone assignment. Either Hanson was supposed to go with Welker but didn't and/or Allen failed in his assignment. Hanson ended up covering no one, but he was spying the backfield. However, at the time of the release of the pass, Chaney was already guarding the RB and the backfield was empty. Absolutely no one was in range of Hanson. But... Nate Allen did seem to have responsibility for Welker. Welker does a stutter step when Allen approaches, and it is game over. Welker gets a 41 yard TD after a moderately deep TD, and runs into the end zone untouched. With double coverage, there is no pass. With competency on Allen's part, there is no TD.

[As an aside: Watching that New England game footage again reminded me of how completely awful the Safety play was for the first 1/2 to 3/4 of the season. It was terrible. It no doubt had an effect on every corner, but especially the outside guys. The Safeties were juked at least twice for significant gains. On a Branch play earlier in the game, Allen and Coleman looked like the Two Stooges.]

The other Welker TD was Hanson's responsibility in man coverage with help over the top. Welker does bounce it to the outside, and the help goes to another player. Brady makes the routine sideline throw to Welker to make the routine sideline throw for the TD. Hanson had no chance. A "fantastic" corner would have made it look more difficult, but even a "fantastic" corner is going to lose some. With Hanson in coverage though, it looked routine.

I'm not going to pretend that Hanson was in coverage with Welker the whole game, but to some degree the question could be asked: why wasn't he? If he's so "fantastic" against slot types, then why wouldn't he be the guy to shackle another team's opposing "fantastic" slot player? The answer seems to have at least as much to do with Hanson's ability as it does with Castillo's (especially when the second touchdown is evaluated); Castillo has taken his share of the blame. However, a "fantastic" corner should be able to go head to head with Wes Welker; Hanson looked just as helpless as anyone else against him.

I'm not saying that Joselio Hanson sucks; he is good at what he does. I just think that people are giving him more credit than he is due. He is good; he's not great. In today's NFL, Trent Cole is a great defensive end. In today's NFL, Jason Peters is a great offensive tackle. LeSean McCoy is a great RB, and when uninjured, Vick is a great QB. Joselio Hanson is a solid nickel corner. Brian Rolle is a pretty good LB. Notice the difference. When you lose a great player; you panic. Great players dominate, regardless of the competition. Good players will do, most of the time, but they can always be replaced.

Hanson is tough, and his style of play is likable, but he isn't some guy who couldn't be replaced by a mid round draft pick, CB Brandon Hughes, or hopefully even CB Curtis Marsh. With those other options though (particularly in the draft or with Marsh), there's the opportunity to have a guy with return potential and outside potential -- neither of which Hanson provides. Hanson does what he does well, but that's it.

The Eagles should pursue greatness at every position, within reason. When searching for Asante Samuel's replacement on the active roster, I'm pretty sure that they will also be looking for Joselio Hanson's. I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see a CB drafted in the first four rounds.
    False.

Hypocrisy.

Happy Summer 2014. Welcome it in with half an hour of awesome, courtesy of yours truly - Patrick Montgomery - and my new EDM megamix, Why You Heff to Bang Mad?

vCash
    Eagles resigned Landri for a year
    Last edited by Succo; 04-09-2012 at 09:47 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Succo View Post

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-ph...454&feedID=704

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Succo View Post
    This is FANTASTIC news. Derek Landri is a FANTASTIC defensive tackle.

Kidding aside, the re-signing of Landri should be good for competition in camp. As articles point out, Landri was good for the Eagles when he got playing time last year; and he came in late.

His play last season reminds me of the theater adage that goes something like, "There are no small parts -- only small actors." Landri is not a guy you build your team around by any means, but he made the best out of his opportunities last year, and he deserved to be back.

Page 18 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast