Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ross: Philbin didn't want Flynn

I foun this very interesting, apparently Philbin did not want Flynn. Could this lead to the Dolphins drafting Ryan Tannehill (Sherman, Tannehills coach at Texas A&M, is now Dolphins offesnive cordinator)?

Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross, besieged by criticism from his team's fans over an offseason filled with missed opportunities, took the unusual step of calling one of those disgruntled fans Thursday night to explain some of the front office's recent decisions.

Among Ross' revelations, according to ProFootballTalk.com: The Dolphins were ready to cut wide receiver Brandon Marshall before trading him to the Chicago Bears, and new coach Joe Philbin didn't want Matt Flynn to be his starting quarterback.

Debate: Marshall trade reactions
    Chicago made waves by getting Brandon Marshall in a deal with Miami. What does it mean for each team? Let's debate! More ...
    The South Florida Sun Sentinel reported Friday that Dolphins CEO Mike Dee arranged for the phone call between Ross and Jason Lawrence, a longtime season-ticket holder who was interviewed by the newspaper while participating in a fan protest Tuesday outside the team's headquarters.

"[Ross] said they had been shopping [Marshall] for a couple weeks," Lawrence said. "Nobody would return their phone calls about getting him. If Chicago didn't take [Marshall] … they would have ended up cutting him very shortly after that, and got nothing."

The Dolphins were thought to have an advantage in signing Flynn, a free agent, because of Flynn's relationship with new Miami coach Joe Philbin, who was Green Bay's offensive coordinator when Flynn was the Packers' backup quarterback.

But Lawrence told a different story.

"[Ross] goes, 'If my coach wanted Matt Flynn, didn't you think he would be here?'" Lawrence told the Sun Sentinel. "'If my coach said, 'I want Matt Flynn as our starting quarterback next year,' he would be here, but I couldn't pay Matt Flynn $8 million to come here. If I end up getting him, it's a gamble … and I'm still drafting a quarterback. I'm still looking for another option.'"
    Flynn signed with the Seattle Seahawks instead.

Lawrence said Ross also told him that he was unwilling to pay Alex Smith $8 million per year when he wasn't even sure that Smith could beat out Matt Moore, the Dolphins' most recent starter. Smith wound up re-singing with the San Francisco 49ers.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...headline_stack

I am sorry if this has already been posted.
    FIRE JKIDD. A vision we can all live with.

Clarity.....thats all thats needed. Tell me your plan and i will respect it. Tell me nothing and your just waddling in the wind.

Lets see what these people at Dolphins headquarters do.

We did not want Flynn. We just brought him in to visit with us to say hi. Coach Philbin thought it would be very important to learn the type of person Flynn is during a 20 minute interview, rather than the last 4 years they were together.

Quote Originally Posted by elizur View Post
    We did not want Flynn. We just brought him in to visit with us to say hi. Coach Philbin thought it would be very important to learn the type of person Flynn is during a 20 minute interview, rather than the last 4 years they were together.
    My man.

Maybe they were interested until they found out he wanted $8 million. Like a below average-looking girl you take out because you're desperate and then you find out she doesn't put out. You drop the idea quickly. (BTW, I've never done that, just an example)

Haha that's what i was thinking why bring a guy in if you have no interest.

This. That article sounds like damage control more so than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by NateyB24 View Post
    Haha that's what i was thinking why bring a guy in if you have no interest.
    To low ball him. If Philbin told the FO that Flynn was a franchise QB we would of signed him. Philbin obliviously didn't think too much of Flynn.

Quote Originally Posted by torrance View Post

Maybe they were interested until they found out he wanted $8 million. Like a below average-looking girl you take out because you're desperate and then you find out she doesn't put out. You drop the idea quickly. (BTW, I've never done that, just an example)
    Pretty much.

Marcus Mariota

Quote Originally Posted by godolphins View Post
    To low ball him. If Philbin told the FO that Flynn was a franchise QB we would of signed him. Philbin obliviously didn't think too much of Flynn.
    Doesn't make any sense at all for Philbin to bring him in give him a physical just to tell the FO that he isn't a franchise QB.

I don't buy that Ross was going to release Marshall either sounds like damage control to me can't tell me some team wouldn't of given up a pick for him which a team eventually ended up doing.

Noodle arm.

7th round draft pick.

Only played 2 games.

Against bad defenses.

Had elite weapons.

So on and so forth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Boobs. I was eating *** one time and she farted

Quote Originally Posted by NateyB24 View Post
    Doesn't make any sense at all for Philbin to bring him in give him a physical just to tell the FO that he isn't a franchise QB.

I don't buy that Ross was going to release Marshall either sounds like damage control to me can't tell me some team wouldn't of given up a pick for him which a team eventually ended up doing.
    I don't think Philbin was sold of Flynn. I think we brought him in to try to low ball him. I'm sure if Philbin thought that he was going to be great QB we would of signed him. His contract was easily affordable.

And why would Ross throw his new HC under the bus by making that up.

lol @ people trying to pretend the Dolphins are having a logical off season. I'm going to make a thread.

Ross: Philbin wanted Garrard. yeah right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Boobs. I was eating *** one time and she farted

Quote Originally Posted by godolphins View Post
    I don't think Philbin was sold of Flynn. I think we brought him in to try to low ball him. I'm sure if Philbin thought that he was going to be great QB we would of signed him. His contract was easily affordable.

And why would Ross throw his new HC under the bus by making that up.
    What is he supposed to say though if he did want him? It would look bad if he said he did want him but failed to land him.

if he isn't sure smith could beat out moore then i think he is extra sure that tannehill can't either.flynn was the guy to go after.tannehill in the top ten of the draft seems over reaching.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast