Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FLYER-FAN View Post
    1. You seem to be under-valuing the importance of a defenseman who like you say is one of the best skating defenseman on the team ,

2. avg over 20/min per game leads the team with goals for defenseman and by the way in 62/games played this year he is avg more hits per game than grossman ,so he is also a very physical player.
    1. we are the #3 scoring team in the league (we were #1 for a while), but #19 in goals allowed (we were #30 before Bryz's shutout streak). We dont need the "skating side" of Mez's game, this team is more then fine in the goal scoring department. This team needs nostalgic stay at home defensemen to clear that crease and help our GAA. Mez does not do that. Dont know how knowledgeable you are about hockey, but he's good at being a skating defensemen, which means hes good at moving the puck through the neutral zone and joining the rush... which means he's a good forward contributor. However, if you take that out of his game, this season, he hasnt been too good at cleaning house and coverage in our zone.

If you dont believe me, then watch some Goals against this season on NHL.com, I know what I am talking about here.

2. You really insist on using Skewed/irrelevant statistics for a hockey argument?:
    -ALL top 4 defensemen average 20+ minutes a game. And he's 4th in active defensemen in minutes. 4th. Carle is 1st, so he must be the best on this team.
    -Leading the team in goals as a defensemen has NOTHING to do with his performance as a defensemen on this team. Its just a bonus.
    -Mez IS NOT a physical player, he may be 3rd on this team in hits, but he just takes common hits in the corner. A "physical defensemen" physically moves people out of the way.

If you want to just use stats, thats cool, why does he have the least amount of blocked shots of this teams top 6 defensemen? Matt Carle almost has double. Lesson here, do not bother with stats. Actually watch the games, and dont just realize what the announcers say. Actually watch the players. You'll see who has "it"

vCash
    ^Carle has played so much better over the last month. It's crazy how different his game has been. He doesn't look so "lost" anymore. Maybe he just felt too much pressure having Bourdon out there with him?

I know you only mentioned him because the time on ice and blocked shots, but I don't really think he's gotten enough love lately. Maybe I'm wrong and he's played the same, but I really think he's been much better.

vCash
    Randall' as to my knowledge of hockey, let me start by saying I am not a kid and I have been an avid fan of hockey and a Flyer fan since the 1970's....

First off' You are saying this team has no need of a puck moving defenseman with good skating skills which is insane....you need both puck moving and stay at home defenseman ....

Second' you are saying we do not need scoring from our defenseman which again is just insane.

Third' you are saying that Mez doesn't hit anyone which again show's your knowledge of the game is off course because Mez has a better hit per game ratio than the stay at home hard hitting Grossman .

Fourth' you do admit that Mez is a top 4/defenseman which again you are saying is not important to this team ..Randall ' You need to be very talented to even be considered as a #4/defenseman .

What's up with you ? either you don't understand the game like you think or you are just hating on Mez ?
    The guy is a very good defenseman and deserves some credit...

You have contradicted yourself several times...

Also we were #30 in goals allowed because up until the end of February our goalie couldn't stop a basketball..
    Last edited by FLYER-FAN; 03-21-2012 at 07:33 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FLYER-FAN View Post
    Randall' as to my knowledge of hockey, let me start by saying I am not a kid and I have been an avid fan of hockey and a Flyer fan since the 1970's....

First off' You are saying this team has no need of a puck moving defenseman with good skating skills which is insane....you need both puck moving and stay at home defenseman ....

Second' you are saying we do not need scoring from our defenseman which again is just insane.

Third' you are saying that Mez doesn't hit anyone which again show's your knowledge of the game is off course because Mez has a better hit per game ratio than the stay at home hard hitting Grossman .

Fourth' you do admit that Mez is a top 4/defenseman which again you are saying is not important to this team ..Randall ' You need to be very talented to even be considered as a #4/defenseman .

What's up with you ? either you don't understand the game like you think or you are just hating on Mez ?
    The guy is a very good defenseman and deserves some credit...

You have contradicted yourself several times...

Also we were #30 in goals allowed because up until the end of February our goalie couldn't stop a basketball..
    You missed several of his points to be fair....He didnt say there was no need for a puck moving defenseman. He said our scoring is extremely good and we arent going to miss the offensive side production from a defenseman.

As far as hits, Mez is not as physical of a player as your making him out to be. You are really taking the stats to a different level. Mez records a lot of hits in the corners and are more of disruptive hits that throw them off course or impede their path. Ive watched him for years and not once have i ever thought of him as a big time physical player.

Im not sure that he is downplaying the injury. Regardless of how either of you think of the guy, its a big injury nonetheless. But the way the young guys have played (and even Lilja *knock on wood*) is very encouraging for the playoff run IMO.

As far as "the goalie couldnt stop a basketball". Im sorry but thats not the only reason. Its no coincidence that after Grossmann and Kubina came along, Bryz started to play well. If you watch the games as you say you do, then you would realize how big those two (especially Grossmann) have been to this team and what a big, shut down defender does for a team.
    Last edited by Phillysports101; 03-22-2012 at 09:44 AM.

vCash
    How do I say this without confusing the point......but essentially I don't think Mez has had a good season as a defender so by default the thing we'd miss most about his game is his shot from the point and the occassional jump into the rush where he makes some things happen. That said, I don't think his offense is something we would sorely lack in the playoffs. This time of year I will take a solid defender who really doesn't produce much offense over a guy who can provide more offense but isn't as good a defender.

As far as Mez beng a physical player, here's my take....he's a decent sized guy and he goes after the big hits a few times a game so that gives the impression he's a physical type guy but I don't think he falls in that category. In my opinion he will actually move too far to the risky side as far as getting himself out of position and gamble on a hit or miss type play in order to make a big hit. But I find him more often than not to passive in front of his goaltender.

Would I prefer to have him in there now on the third pair...sure. But with Grossman and Kubina in the fold I don't think we'll miss him too much in the top 4..............we just need to hope that no one else goes down here anytime soon is all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12