Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Mez out 6 - 8 Weeks

Per some credible sources on Twitter

Herniated disk repair.. I guess he is having a fragment removed.. Out 6-8 weeks

Pretty big loss to the D when we are gearing up for the playoffs

vCash
    damn. that's a pretty big blow. pretty much means we won't see him unless we get to the Conf. finals.

hopefully Kubina gets his *** back soon. really starting to get concerned with him now.

vCash

vCash
    Lets just keep the train going and hope the rookies dont get burned! great defensive hockey lately and Bryz has been excellent. See you soon Mez!

vCash
    The team has been listing Kubina as day-to-day. I can't imagine they'd do that if they weren't expecting him back soon (Mez's status was never changed from "out indefinitely").

This sucks, but I don't think it's that big of a blow. We basically started this tear we're on after Mez, Kubina and Timo went down, so getting 2 of 3 back seems like a bonus more than a handicap.

Gus has also looked pretty damn good in his last couple games and Carle is starting to block shots, at least. If we get Koob back to knock Manning/Lilja out of the lineup, I'm happy with our D going into the postseason.
    [IMG]http://********.com/image.php?u=80452&type=sigpic&dateline=1310177540[/IMG]
    Remember

vCash
    Yes it is a big blow Mez has been arguably our best defenseman this year....What a year between injuries and the officiating ......I hope we stick it up the NHL`s *** and win this damn cup this season !!!......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flyerschris View Post
    Per some credible sources on Twitter

Herniated disk repair.. I guess he is having a fragment removed.. Out 6-8 weeks

Pretty big loss to the D when we are gearing up for the playoffs
    I know every case is different, but my dad had a herniated disk in his back and was stuck in his bed for months. And he still suffers to this day. Has to get Epidural's in his back every now and then just so its bearable. not a fun injury there.

Quote Originally Posted by FLYER-FAN View Post
    Yes it is a big blow Mez has been arguably our best defenseman this year....What a year between injuries and the officiating ......I hope we stick it up the NHL`s *** and win this damn cup this season !!!......
    really? I mean that was definitely true last year, but this season... i thought he was having a very "off" year, first half of the season has to go to Timonen, second half Grossmann...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Stevens View Post
    I know every case is different, but my dad had a herniated disk in his back and was stuck in his bed for months. And he still suffers to this day. Has to get Epidural's in his back every now and then just so its bearable. not a fun injury there.

really? I mean that was definitely true last year, but this season... i thought he was having a very "off" year, first half of the season has to go to Timonen, second half Grossmann...

the back is a mysterious thing, seriously. it really all depends on the person; no two cases are the same.

as far as the defensemen, i agree. mez really hasn't been the same guy we saw last year. grossmann, IMO, has clearly been far and above the best defenseman on the team since he's gotten here.

vCash
    the back is actually kind of predictable(muscular issues with the back are very UNpredictable)...they are giving him 6-8 weeks to see if the disc regenerates itself...when you do a partial discectomy(removal of a piece of, or the whole, disc), the goal is to have it regrow itself. if it doesnt regrow itself, there are two options:

A. Artificial Disc Replacement

B. Fusion(like Peyton Manning but less severe bc its not in his neck)

My best guess is that his disc regrows and he'll be fine, but he is probably going to be shut down for the year.

Get well soon, Mez.

vCash
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FLYER-FAN

Quote:Randall Stevens
    The Phantom

really? I mean that was definitely true last year, but this season... i thought he was having a very "off" year, first half of the season has to go to Timonen, second half Grossmann...[/QUOTE]

A very off year ?? . Well let`s see in 62 games played he leads the team in goals scored ( 7 ) by a d-man he is a (+6 ) and was one of the team leaders in min/played and he also plays the power play...and I did say ( arguably the best ) and yes Kimo would be the possible exception....

Dont get me wrong I love what Grossman has brought to our team but he has only played in (15/games ) compared to Mez playing in ( 62/games ) ..Also mez was playing at the time when Bryz was letting in almost everything that was shot at him meaning Mez`s +/- would most likely be alot higher and Grossman has had the advantage of playing with the hottest goalie in the NHL the past 10/games....Again not meaning to slight Grossman in any way I love what I see in him.....Just trying to make an argument that Mez has played well for us for 62/games this year and was one of the best d-man on the team and this will be a BIG loss to us down the stretch with alot of pressure being put on very young guy`s ...

Alot of good things have to happen for us to go deep in the playoff`s and the officials need to get off our backs and call an honest game !!
    Last edited by FLYER-FAN; 03-20-2012 at 03:11 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FLYER-FAN

Quote:Randall Stevens
    The Phantom

A very off year ?? . Well let`s see in 62 games played he leads the team in goals scored ( 7 ) by a d-man he is a (+6 ) and was one of the team leaders in min/played and he also plays the power play...and I did say ( arguably the best ) and yes Kimo would be the possible exception....

Dont get me wrong I love what Grossman has brought to our team but he has only played in (15/games ) compared to Mez playing in ( 62/games ) ..Also mez was playing at the time when Bryz was letting in almost everything that was shot at him meaning Mez`s +/- would most likely be alot higher and Grossman has had the advantage of playing with the hottest goalie in the NHL the past 10/games....Again not meaning to slight Grossman in any way I love what I see in him.....Just trying to make an argument that Mez has played well for us for 62/games this year and was one of the best d-man on the team and this will be a BIG loss to us down the stretch with alot of pressure being put on very young guy`s ...

Alot of good things have to happen for us to go deep in the playoff`s and the officials need to get off our backs and call an honest game !!
    Don't get me wrong, I love Mez, and when he plays a complete game I'm not sure we have a better defenseman other than Pronger, but he seemed to be too focused on offense most of the season. He's a big dude and he should have been doing what Grossmann has brought to the team ever since Pronger was done. I think that's why I'd have to agree it's been an "off" year for him. Offensively he was just as good as ever, defensively though, just not the same as last year.

Do you really think it's that much of a coincidence that Bryz started playing this way a few games after Grossmann got into the lineup? Ever since he got here the entire defense has been an entirely different animal. Personally I think that speaks volumes for how good he's been for us. They're more aggressive, but at the same time they aren't too aggressive. Carle, Coburn, Mez, Bourdon specifically seemed to think that they were offensive players most of the season. Now we're actually seeing players clear out the crease in front of Bryz, not just Grossmann, but everyone and it really didn't start until he got here. I could certainly see how Grossmann is the second half best defenseman.

vCash
    I cant agree that anyone can argue for this. Dude he's a defensmen, you can use Goals scored to judge, his plus/minus is average, and being "one of the team leaders" in mins played? He's a top 4 defensmen on this team, of course he is.

Without relying on skewing statistics, and instead with a scouting eye, the fact of the matter is Mez is having an off year. He's doing a bad job in coverage, bad job clearing rebounds, bad job defending his goaltender/the crease. He had a MONSTER year last year, but this year? no. Is he still good at being a "skating" defensmen? absolutely, the best one on this team.

1. Timonen
    2. Grossmann
    3. Coburn
    4. Kubina
    5. Mez
    6. Carle
    7. Gus
    8. Lilja
    9. Manning
    10. Bourdon

vCash
    Its a big loss no matter how you look at it. He may not be having the year he was having last year, but losing a defenseman that plays that many minutes is big. Per Howard Eskin who orginally broke the story, said he is out for the year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillysports101 View Post
    Its a big loss no matter how you look at it. He may not be having the year he was having last year, but losing a defenseman that plays that many minutes is big. Per Howard Eskin who orginally broke the story, said he is out for the year.
    Thank you' this is the point I was trying to make...Mez, in the 62/games he plays over 20/min per game he has more hit's per game than Grossman he is also a very decent point man on the power play and he was leading the team in goals for defenseman on our team...avg over 20/min per game and still was able to be a +/6 on the ice and this while our goaltending was a mess....for anyone to think this is not a big loss just is not paying attention to the game.

...Again this is not about Grossman he has been a great asset in the 16/games he has played for us so far and I see more good things to come from him...
    Last edited by FLYER-FAN; 03-21-2012 at 01:06 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Stevens View Post
    I cant agree that anyone can argue for this. Dude he's a defensmen, you can use Goals scored to judge, his plus/minus is average, and being "one of the team leaders" in mins played? He's a top 4 defensmen on this team, of course he is.

Without relying on skewing statistics, and instead with a scouting eye, the fact of the matter is Mez is having an off year. He's doing a bad job in coverage, bad job clearing rebounds, bad job defending his goaltender/the crease. He had a MONSTER year last year, but this year? no. Is he still good at being a "skating" defensmen? absolutely, the best one on this team.

1. Timonen
    2. Grossmann
    3. Coburn
    4. Kubina
    5. Mez
    6. Carle
    7. Gus
    8. Lilja
    9. Manning
    10. Bourdon
    Sorry Randall' I have to disagree,I believe Mez is as good if not better most on your list and with how Kimo who has been showing his age the last couple years he has lost a step and stamina with that said he is still a very good player but this is even a more reason why a 27/year old player like Mez out for the playoffs is a big deal.

You seem to be under-valuing the importance of a defenseman who like you say is one of the best skating defenseman on the team ,avg over 20/min per game leads the team with goals for defenseman and by the way in 62/games played this year he is avg more hits per game than grossman ,so he is also a very physical player.
    Sorry Randall this is a big loss for our team hopefully with the addition of Grossman and Kubina we can overcome this loss...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast