Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: gym membership

vCash

gym membership

Ok I finally got a gym membership today,so I go in today to check it out and man was I ever confused.There is so many different machines for each body part that I spent most of my time trying to figure out how the heck to use some of them.I have read on hear that free weights are the best way to go but I was wondering which machines are good to use and which ones to stay away from.Today I tried the leg press machine and it seemed pretty good,also I used some machine for my abductors and one for shoulder presses.So much stuff it was a little overwhelming.Also my gym ettiquite is lacking what are some main things I need to know so I dont look like and idiot or piss some fawkin huge dudes like Warrior an Stamina off.

vCash
    not going to lie... it's hard reading this because you didn't put spaces after a period.

but i would suggest using almost all free weights for your workouts. theirs only a few workouts i use machines for. lat pulldowns, leg press, and the row machine (this one)

vCash
    Put your weights away when you are finished with them, and put them in the correct location. Meaning 25 lb weights where the label reads "25." Wipe down your machine before and after you use it, and make sure nobody is using a machine before you jump on. Good luck!

vCash
    **** that just get big and own the place!! j/k...Don't be overwhelmed bro, just read what the machines are for. You will learn in time. If you arent sure, ask. I never mind helping someone out in the gym. I even ask people things too, never too old to learn.

"I am built for power, not for speed."--Me

vCash
    ^^ and that says alot coming from him because warriors pretty damn old OP

vCash
    Thanks guys went back again today and had someone show me the different machines. Had a great chest and triceps workout. Then because I loved it so much I went back later with the whole family and kicked the **** out of my calfs and abs. Hey John is that better I got spaces after my punctuations............lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoLions8190 View Post
    ^^ and that says alot coming from him because warriors pretty damn old OP
    still a baby at 36 bro!!

"I am built for power, not for speed."--Me

vCash
    Thats great that you got a gym membership. It is definitely overwhelming. Free weights are the way to go. Machines are not very good for building muscle and strength. I do not use machines at all. Thats not to say that they are completely worthless, but when you have the ability to train with free weights, then they should be dust collectors.

I always like to recommend the program westside for skinny bastards. Its a good routine that will introduce you to plenty of exercises. I know a few people here have used it and they gotten great results.

Look at the diff logs around here too, so you can get a general idea of how much you should be training.

I learned the hardway...I did some stupid **** when I first started out...joining a forum was the best thing I ever did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by saintsfan View Post
    Hey John is that better I got spaces after my punctuations............lol

vCash
    Dont be afraid to ask people for help. When i first started i asked the bigger guys a ton of questions and i learned a lot from that. As long as you're polite about it and wait till they're not in the middle of a set they shouldnt have any problem helping you
    Limitations are for people that have them, and excuses are for people that need them.

vCash
    Its definitely overwhelming when you don't have a program you're sticking to.

Problem is most newbies at the gym will go to the PTs there to ask for a program, and sometimes (cause I know Hughest is a good PT ) their programs will be crap.

Like BK said, try Westside for Skinny Bastards and know what you're going to the gym to do. Then when you're there ask for directions to see how to use machines, if you don't check before on YouTube, and if need be ask the guys their for alternate exercises.

Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

vCash
    Right on guys. There is these machines there called Hoist I think it is and they use your bodyweight plus what ever plates you put on. The trainer there showed me them so I tried each one out a little and I got a great pump from them do you guys know anything about them. I will only use them if the gym is really busy or I just have a short time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by saintsfan View Post
    Right on guys. There is these machines there called Hoist I think it is and they use your bodyweight plus what ever plates you put on. The trainer there showed me them so I tried each one out a little and I got a great pump from them do you guys know anything about them. I will only use them if the gym is really busy or I just have a short time.
    Is the machine called hoist or is it the brand. IIRC all the machines are hoist in my community gym.
    YES. WE. DID.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamiWadeCounty View Post
    Is the machine called hoist or is it the brand. IIRC all the machines are hoist in my community gym.
    Yeah its the brand name of them.

vCash
    It never hurts to talk to people in the gym for help or advice. Just dont talk to them while they are in the middle of a set lol

You'd be surprised, most bigger guys are actually nice people.
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast