Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thedfactor View Post
    To offer Gordon a fair amount and competitive offer sheet we'd most likely have to deal Marion along with amnestying Haywood. I tried coming up with a way we could retain Marion, but it doesn't seem possible.

My potential salary breakdown:

Dirk - $20,907,128
    Deron - $17,177,795
    Gordon - $10,500,000
    Kidd - $1,000,000
    Wright - $915,852
    Azubuike - $885,120

We'd have to make decisions on keeping Ian Mahinmi and Delonte. Roddy and Jones can be dealt, Yi and Carter can walk.

It's still possible to deal Lamar and turn him into a $8.2 TPE which we could use on a player of choice that is available. If we could find a center via salary dump that fits into that sure, but we could also take the Marcus Camby route in FA and have a fine defensive C manning the paint. Wright backs him up.

We simply need to have 8 guys on roster to avoid cap holds though. I'd be fine keeping West and/or going after guys like Matt Barnes or Dhantay Jones from Indy who are both tough defenders.

Deron/Kidd
    Gordon/West
    Barnes/Azubuike
    Dirk/Wright
    Camby/Mahinmi

We're at the same page. I'd only keep Delonte instead of Ian but in case we'd aquire an elder center, keeping Ian is clearly more important, or Wright would be playing a heavy load of minutes every game. So no.

Also it would be a dream to keep one out of the pair Marion/Carter. Might not happen that we're able to stick to one of them.

However, I'm all in for giving up a lot of quality, to gain even more quality, through youth, in the long run.

The more you think about trade scenarios or whom you could add to our roster, I'll find more and more guys who could be fitting well. Not the big names but better or rising players. There are many options, especially with that cap space. It might be difficult to rebuild, yes but I'd say that there are interesting choices swirling around like you have posted.

Just like the Lakers tried by reaching out for Paul, I think our main focus should be the playmaker, then the hunt for our big man. You can go for an elder, younger, promising, quiter, louder, talented, fallen, someone easy to deal with to a difficult character... it's crazy to pick the right one from that pool.

Whomever we're adding and moving, anybody ever thought about how to replace Dirk in a few years? I think yes but what are you exactly thinking?

Should we let Wright learn from Dirk and let him grow in his shadow, taking off some minutes from Dirk meanwhile or do you think he's not planned and seen as solid replacement after #41's retirement? I'd like to see Dirk in a Garnett/Duncan like role on the team in 2 seasons, in case he want's to hang on some more time in the NBA, play on as long as you're healthy and having fun! He can still peak every now and then like those two players mentioned. And if he's still better than that, just let him ball.
    Last edited by AnthonyTyrael; 04-13-2012 at 12:47 PM.

vCash
    Delonte would be cheap. We could resign him for like 2 years 4 million.
    @asmarks18
    Texas Rangers
    St. Louis Cardinals
    Dallas Cowboys
    St. Louis Rams
    Dallas Mavericks
    St. Louis Blues
    Texas Tech

vCash
    And I would more than welcome dealing Marion to clear up space for Gordon. What if Cuban signed Brook Lopez instead of Gordon? Steals that Russian gangsters 2 best players.
    @asmarks18
    Texas Rangers
    St. Louis Cardinals
    Dallas Cowboys
    St. Louis Rams
    Dallas Mavericks
    St. Louis Blues
    Texas Tech

vCash
    i would love to have a guy like gordon nice strong SG , we need d.west he is a hard playing 1 and can guard the 2 spot i like him so lets see what the future and cuban will bring

vCash
    Deron/Gordon backcourt would be

vCash
    Any news about Deron btw? I know in the age of the www it's almost impossible to miss out any news, since almost everything will be put online asap but while I'm living overseas I'm not sure about regional daily.

Could we use Stiemsma as backup canter? Seen this guy play for most of the season, just like most teams that draw my interest, and he's giving you much more than he gets paid for in his minutes of play. He's one of those guys that never give up, that keep fighting constantly on and he is making the difference underneath the radar. I like those guys that don't get that much of attention but are actually more responsible for securing wins in close games than the top 3, 4 players of their team. Know what I'm talking about?

Not the scorers, the finishers, the closers but those that will give you the opportunity to be in position to close out games, when you've struggled all night long as a team. They'll get you there. Fighters, guys that do the dirty work for the "star players" and don't care about walking down the hard road, taking all it needs. Hits, charges, scars... whatever, while not being rude or a troublemaker.
    Last edited by AnthonyTyrael; 04-13-2012 at 09:11 PM.

vCash
    Camby is taking over tonight. At age 38, he's still the most effective rebounder in the league (RP48) and one of the best shot blockers as well. He's not the fastest, what should be clear but experiencend as hell and staying healthy. I just don't see him signing for less he's earning now but thinking of Haywood and his contract, I would exchange those players immediately without hesitation. 10 rebounds per game with less than 23 minutes on court. On a weak rebounding team like ours, he'd be an even bigger beast.

vCash
    Camby did not grab any rebound after the first half though and did not add much to his stat lines anyway. Still he's more than just good for his age.

vCash
    after deron, i'd go hard after batum and gerald green. get younger and more athletic. gordon is hurt too much and would be a bad investment imo.

deron
    green
    batum
    dirk
    scrub

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nrvana View Post
    after deron, i'd go hard after batum and gerald green. get younger and more athletic. gordon is hurt too much and would be a bad investment imo.

deron
    green
    batum
    dirk
    scrub
    I'd put my apples in the EG bag before Green even though he's come back a new man with the Nets. Plus, I think he stays w/ them anyway. Batum will be just as hard to get as Gordon since they both are highly coveted restricted FAs.

I'm confident in Wright being the full time backup center on the team next year along with some PF minutes too, we just need to find a center to start who has a relatively solid balance with offense and defense.

vCash

Off-topic; Looking back this is why I hate our FO

I was bored and did some research on things we could have had if we didn't trade away every draft pick we ever get.

I'm taking anyone picked within 5 spots of where we did/could have picked.

2000: Drafted Etan Thomas. Could have gotten Hedo Turkoglu

2001: Pick traded. Could have drafted Sam Dalembert, Gerald Wallace, or Tony Parker.

2002: Pick traded. Could have had John Salmons. Meh.

2003: Drafted Josh Howard. No arguments here.

2004: Traded to get Devin Harris. Smart. Traded for Pavel Podkolzin. Not Smart. Traded our real pick in a separate deal which could have lead to Delonte West, Tony Allen, or Kevin Martin. Not smart.

2005: Pick traded to get Podkolzin previous year. Could have drafted David Lee.

2006: Drafted Maurice Ager. No one really good within 5 picks after. Paul Millsap went about 15 picks later if we wanted to reach on him. Cant blame FO for taking Ager though since no one else good was taken for a while.

2007: Pick traded. Could have had Carl Landry or Glen Davis.

2008: Pick traded. This is the worst. The 5 picks starting from our traded pick. Ryan Anderson, Courtney Lee, Kosta Koufus, Serge Ibaka, Nicolas Batum...Good work FO.

2009: Pick traded back 2 spots. Missed out on Omri Casspi. Drafted Byron Mullens who we traded for Roddy. Wont know how I feel about all that for another few years.

2010: Traded for Dominique Jones. Traded our real pick which could have been Greivis Vazquez or Jordan Crawford. Again, wont know for a few years
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Bashing our front office?

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instanc...x/19217749.jpg

In all seriousness, Donnie Nelson has made some bone head choices with our draft picks over the years. Not sure if it is him or our scouting department but we miss out on a lot of good steals year in and year out it seems. And that list proves it. Something has to change this year because we desperately need new young blood in our locker room. And not young players who will ride the pine like Dojo. We need a difference maker.
    @asmarks18
    Texas Rangers
    St. Louis Cardinals
    Dallas Cowboys
    St. Louis Rams
    Dallas Mavericks
    St. Louis Blues
    Texas Tech

vCash
    Donnie Nelson is a straight up moron. There are only a handful of his moves I can even defend. And this list above is why I keep pushing hard for us to keep and make our draft picks. Even though we screw up every draft pick minus a couple, its nice knowing we have a shot at good players on almost a yearly basis no matter where we pick.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Well, Donnie's strength clearly isn't the draft. But let's be fair. He put a championship caliber team on the floor several times in the last decade. 2003 was championship caliber, can only wonder if Dirk didn't get injured against the Spurs. 2005, 2006, 2007...all championship quality teams.

2008 I'm still split on. When we first made the Harris for Kidd trade, I hated it. We got abused so badly by CP3, you really had to wonder why we'd take someone who ripped a gaping hole in our defense, especially with how loaded the west was with guards. But in the end, I love how smart Kidd is and the fact that he's a great leader. I hope when he retires, he does it as a Mav and stays on board to coach.

Then for 2010-2011, they found Chandler and took the chance. Let's be honest, not many fans were exactly thrilled to use the DUST chip for Chandler. We were like, all that hype and nothing. We traded for a center who hadn't been healthy for at least two seasons.

And yes, he does get to use Cuban's basically unlimited funding. But several teams go over the salary cap, it doesn't magically equate success. Look at Orlando and what they do despite constantly going over the salary cap and having the best center of this generation. So, while he may not draft well, he certainly has done his job and that's keeping a contender on the floor.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    Dr. Seuss

vCash
    The only really good great player the Mavs drafted and developed into a star is Dirk. That was the best draft day move in Mavs history let alone NBA history. Go figure it wasn't under Donnie. The FO isn't strong in the draft and scoping out great talent.

The draft day trade for Harris was awesome, but never fully gave him the opportunity to blossom before he was dealt for Kidd.

Josh Howard was a steal at the 29th pick I believe it was. He ran his course and then had his falling out during the Hornets playoff series in 2008. But that was good selection by the FO.

Guys like Podkolzin, Fazekas, Nivins and Foster never panned out. Ager came out of college as a senior and hot streak his stock high. But he ended up being one of the worst FG% shooters in NBA history.

Hopefully we can make things change in this year's draft and come away with a talent that can actually help us.

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast