Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Jersey Buying Guide: Authentic vs. Replica

QUALITY

So guys. About to buy a Jays jersey. But with the new style, are there any real discernible difference between the Authentic and Replica jerseys?

So far I know that there is no MLB logo on the rear collar on the Replica, and that the Authentic is cut lower (which could be a problem since, nobody tucks their jersey in). Otherwise they look the same from the pics on the MLB Shop. But I've heard things about other teams having everything embroidered and slightly better looking logos, whereas the replicas would have ironed on stuff. Do the replicas have ironed patches, lettering, numbers, etc. and if so, is it the cheap stuff that fades away after a few washes? Also, is the jersey fabric really any better?

TL;DR: Is it worth paying almost triple the price for an authentic?

If anybody has seen the two jerseys I'd appreciate any help.

WHERE TO BUY

Well, first off, the Canadian Jays shop rips us off with the Canadian prices:

US Shop: Rep. w/ name = $100, Auth. w/name = $247 + possible free shipping and I think no tax.
    Canada: Rep. w/ name = $150, Auth. w/name = I believe they are $300 + TAX

That's robbery right there. It's shameful markup and it's disrespectful to Canadian fans IMO. I may just pick it up on my vacation to the States.

TL;DR: Anybody know a legit local/online shop where Canadians can grab a jersey at a fair price?

Jays '13

vCash
    I looked into this at the Jays Shop at Eatons Centre last week,

The replica jerseys do not have the puff patch. Instead it almost looks like an iron on. The stitching is good.

The authentic jerseys have the puff patch and the stitching looks damn awesome.

Also because it's a new style your not going to find it anywhere for less then the price listed on MLB.com or the BlueJays shop. If you do it is either fake or stolen.

Also now that our dollar is par with the usa much of the price difference has to do with if you buy it online it ships from the states, all MLB merchandise purchased online originates from the states. Higher shipping costs passed onto you. You save that extra fee if you buy it at the Dome or Jays Shop.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Puntown; 03-13-2012 at 06:04 PM.

vCash
    Thanks for the info buddy. But, by iron on, is it the stuff that chips and peels away like on unstitched graphic tees or a?re they individual iron-on patches? Also, I remember when quickly browsed through the jays shop that an authentic Bautista jersey was around 300. Can any jersey owner confirm the price, cuz auth player jerseys are not listed online. I would check it out myself but I'm quite far from downtown.

Besides, 50 bucks is still a hefty "shipping expense" to be passing on to the buyer.

Jays '13

vCash
    Nvm I think I know what u mean by the patching. It's like a stitched on flat iron-on material patch. It was on one of my old jerseys but I was unsure because it was from eBay.

Jays '13

vCash
    You guys also noticed that the Jays US online shop has a lot more variety and better quality products than the Jays Canadian online shop?

Canada: http://jaysshop.stores.truition.com/
    US: http://shop.mlb.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=1452370

vCash
    I bought an authentic Bret Lawrie (black road jersey) at the end of last year for around 160$. If i knew about the jersey change in advance, i would of waited to purchase the new jersey

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Farsight View Post
    I bought an authentic Bret Lawrie (black road jersey) at the end of last year for around 160$. If i knew about the jersey change in advance, i would of waited to purchase the new jersey
    I always try to get one game in close to end of season because they always have awesome deals and sale. Now when Lawrie is an All-Star you can say you have the first jersey he wore.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Puntown View Post
    I always try to get one game in close to end of season because they always have awesome deals and sale. Now when Lawrie is an All-Star you can say you have the first jersey he wore.
    My room is filled with memorabilia... This is hugely off topic, but Im probably going to make a lot of leafs fans jealous, as i have huge amounts of leafs memorabilia... In 1999, me and my hockey team (molten ice bears at the time) were invited to the opening of the aircanada centre, and was apart of the parade from maple leafs garden to the ACC (the grand opening). That day i was able to get all the autographs and pictures from the 1999 hockey team (curtis joseph, domi, sundin, korolev, etc, and even a bunch of former leafs with the likes of Sittler, McDonald, Clark, Bower)

vCash
    http://www.shoes-jerseys.com/product_list.aspx?pcid=621

$30 option is always available.
    Probably not the same quality but it does come with all the authentic tags etc.

vCash
    where you live. There is a place in Barrie that has jersey's for a fair price.

"A friend in need is a friend to avoid"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Hurt View Post
    http://www.shoes-jerseys.com/product_list.aspx?pcid=621

$30 option is always available.
    Probably not the same quality but it does come with all the authentic tags etc.
    Those are 100% fake. What a waste of money. Not to mention the blue does not look anywhere close to the right shade.

vCash
    I live in Scarborough.

Jays '13

vCash
    http://www.footballfanatics.com/MLB_...e_Jays_Jerseys

I have bought stuff from them. Pretty decent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Puntown View Post
    Those are 100% fake. What a waste of money. Not to mention the blue does not look anywhere close to the right shade.
    You say waste of money.
    It is the same cost as a t-shirt, lets put things in perspective.
    From my experience with these products the person wearing the shirt notices a couple differences. Unless you are hardcore anyone who see's you will assume the jersey is authentic.
    I find they fit a little smaller so order 1 size up if you are trying one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Hurt View Post
    You say waste of money.
    It is the same cost as a t-shirt, lets put things in perspective.
    From my experience with these products the person wearing the shirt notices a couple differences. Unless you are hardcore anyone who see's you will assume the jersey is authentic.
    I find they fit a little smaller so order 1 size up if you are trying one.
    Well if all your looking for is a shirt then go right ahead. Most "HARDCORE" fans will be able to tell the difference.

I have purchased these jerseys before and they are nothing but cheap materials, fake tags, different font lettering, poorly stitched, bad color matched, garbage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast