Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

End of Season/Playoffs roster and lines

since the trade deadline has passed, we need a new thread in this forum other then game threads

The Flyers have recalled forward Eric Wellwood from their AHL affiliate, the Adirondack Phantoms today.

Very happy they went with Wellwood over Shelley to fill JVR's spot, he's a pretty decent 2-way forward.

vCash
    and Harry Z is at 36 games this season, and the magic number you want to avoid is 40 (waivers)

thats why he's as good as gone for this season

vCash
    Does playoffs count to that number? and what about Sestito? when will he be back?

vCash
    I've liked what I've seen of Wellwood when he's been up....I like him so far as that 13th forward/depth guy..

vCash
    Though I would say that right now you're looking at the current 12 guys as the playoff forwards......with JVR coming back for Wellwood when he's healthy of course. But I think you're looking at the likes of Shelley and Sestito being the 14th and 15th guys and will be there only if we get hit with multiple injuries. Though actually I think in a pinch Harry Z would see the ice in the playoffs before Shelley...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KCFlyers View Post
    Does playoffs count to that number? and what about Sestito? when will he be back?
    I'm pretty sure they do. Remember people made the big stink about using Bob in that last game because it meant he could get claimed if sent down?
    <Meaning and Content>

...And did you see that Giroux goal?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    Though I would say that right now you're looking at the current 12 guys as the playoff forwards......with JVR coming back for Wellwood when he's healthy of course. But I think you're looking at the likes of Shelley and Sestito being the 14th and 15th guys and will be there only if we get hit with multiple injuries. Though actually I think in a pinch Harry Z would see the ice in the playoffs before Shelley...
    If we play Boston or Pittsburgh in the playoffs, Shelley and Sestito might become #11 and #12

(might)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Stevens View Post
    If we play Boston or Pittsburgh in the playoffs, Shelley and Sestito might become #11 and #12

(might)
    Still can't see that happening....I'd buy that Sestito would get the nod over Shelley. Assuming that JVR is still out I can see Sestito getting minutes of Wellwood perhaps for a series like that....but assume JVR is back for the playoffs who do you sit to make Sestito and Shelley the 11th and 12th guys? I just can't see that happening....Lavy really likes Rinaldo and honestly Rinaldo is way more effective at the energy line role than Shelley is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    Still can't see that happening....I'd buy that Sestito would get the nod over Shelley. Assuming that JVR is still out I can see Sestito getting minutes of Wellwood perhaps for a series like that....but assume JVR is back for the playoffs who do you sit to make Sestito and Shelley the 11th and 12th guys? I just can't see that happening....Lavy really likes Rinaldo and honestly Rinaldo is way more effective at the energy line role than Shelley is.
    I am saying that especially if we play the Bruins or Penguins, we might need 3 enforcers in the lineup. Just saying its a possibility, cause if guys like Hartnell and Simmonds are forced to be the ones defending the team and therefore spend too much time in the penalty box....

(rather have Shelley fight Milan Lucic and take him off the ice for 5 minutes then Simmonds)

vCash
    Erik Gustafsson was called up tonight by Flyers, though it wasn't announced. Not sure which D-man might be hurt for tomorrow at Capitals. -Frank Seravalli
    Mezaros, Coburn and Timonen all took practice off, one of them will probably be out of the washington game.

I think Mezaros has been banged up lately, hed be my guess.

vCash
    Mezaros, Coburn and Timonen all took practice off, one of them will probably be out of the washington game.

I think Mezaros has been banged up lately, hed be my guess.
    Mez was the only one that was actually there out of the 3, and he left the ice early and looked to be frustrated, so my guess is it's him.

hopefully it's nothing too serious, although with the call-up instead of just plugging in lilja, it does have me worried.

vCash
    I am saying that especially if we play the Bruins or Penguins, we might need 3 enforcers in the lineup. Just saying its a possibility, cause if guys like Hartnell and Simmonds are forced to be the ones defending the team and therefore spend too much time in the penalty box....

(rather have Shelley fight Milan Lucic and take him off the ice for 5 minutes then Simmonds)
    Even if there are more physical series, you know that the "enforcer types" still have a much harder time making the lineup. I understand your line of thinking, but again for it to be practical you have to pick who you are going to sit in favor of one of them. I don't see a name that makes sense.

vCash
    Anybody hear anything on Voracek yet?? Concussion??

If Wellwood continues his strong play, think he suits up for playoffs??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maccanman View Post
    Anybody hear anything on Voracek yet?? Concussion??

If Wellwood continues his strong play, think he suits up for playoffs??
    Voracek, it seems as though he hasnt bombed any concussion tests. If he had, this team typically announces that. I guess they are playing the concussion waiting game (do intense workouts/practices, and see how you feel the next couple days. This takes time)

If any forwards are hurt in the playoffs, no doubt Wellwood plays. He's considered the #1 AHL forward (Harry Z was only in earlier because Wellwood was hurt)

vCash
    didnt want to start a ghetto game thread just to post this..

Bryz is in goal tonight against NJ. Very interesting choice, but you cant argue with it, not like today is an afternoon game, AND he has a .985 save % in his last 4 games