Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    sadly I think no more players are deserving of retired numbers. you DO NOT retire numbers just because you want to, ask the Montreal Canadians who have just about every number from 1-20 retired, and every current player is forced to have some crazy number.

Lindros and Leclair were great, and Hextall was a huge part of this team and its image, but none of them brought the cup to Philly, so none of them really deserve their number to be permanently retired in this city.

Mark Howe got retired because he is in the Hall of Fame and was a great player, but you gotta believe his last name has a lot to do with it. You wont see Eric Desjardins' name up in the rafters, even though he was a very similar player to Howe and was the backbone of this team's defense and leadership for 11 seasons.

I think the next number to be retired... might be 28, 10, or 14, and on a wildcard/longshot I'll say 26. We'll know somewhere around the year 2035 lol

vCash
    Brad Marsh :P

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC1710 View Post
    I'm not suggesting they do it soon. I'm interested in seeing what player or players people would put on a list of possibilities...

The 80's was an decade of much better competition then the 90's and now in my mind. There wasn't the watered down NHL there is today with all the teams added to the league....

I believe Brian Propp was a better then "good" player. Propp was better then a point per game player for the Flyers (790 GP, 369 G, 480 A, 849 PTS)....If winning a Stanley Cup is the measure of getting your jersey retired not many players would get that honor because the Oilers was a team dynasty in the 80's....

Hextall is a different player in the fact that he changed the way the goaltending position is played. Hextall did things that other goalies didn't do in the 80's....Parent has the Cups....Hextall played only 3 more games in a Flyers uniform then Bernie, but had 8 more wins. Hextall, to me, had just as successful a Flyers' career as Parent - in the regular season...

Those 2 would probably be the only 2 I hope get their numbers retired....sometime in the future....

The 70's Flyers produced alot of good/great players (Clarke/Barber/Parent), but the 80's were no slouches either. The only difference was the lack of a Stanley Cup championship.
    Waiting 15 years isn't going to change Propp's numbers. Or Hextalls. Unless they're planning some comeback I don't know of.....

Sure the 80's were probably better than the 90's. Notice how I didn't suggest LeClair or Lindros to go get their numbers retired, either? They're not legendary players. You retire a legendary player's number. You give a really good player a night, like we did with the Hammer. We dedicate a night to Brian Propp, Ron Hextall, Eric Lindros, Jon LeClair......they get a speech, a little video.....but players still wear number 26, number 27, number 88, number 10..... That's a special honor that only goes to the best, of the best, of the best to wear the jersey.

The next player who may have a legit chance at a jersey is probably Claude Giroux. And that means about 10-15 more years like 2011-2012. But he's the next one with the talent to do so.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smking619 View Post
    I like the classic look of the just the name and number (I like how Detroit makes theirs resemble their jerseys). But I can also see where ownership is going with the picture. A lot of fans have never seen Ashbee, Parent, Clarke, Barber, and Howe play. Personally, I never got to see any of them play until the Alumni Game. My generation of fan had Clarke as GM and Barber as coach, not as Hall of Fame players. They should be remembered as such, and putting their picture with their name and number helps to achieve that.
    Im in the same boat as far as generation. Its a good point about being able to see what they look like. I guess i just like the classic look. Detroit (like you mentioned) and Montreal come to mind when i think of classic banner.

vCash
    Looking at it right now the only guys I think have a chance are Lindros and Giroux.

vCash
    I think all three were phenomenal players and I always thought they deserved a cup, especially Tim Kerr. My favorite Flyers power forward of all time, even more so than LeClair and Lindros. However the only one I think they should retire is Hextall, he was the embodiement of the way Flyers hockey is played and he wasn't even a forward. Retire #27 and just honor Timmy K and Propp. However, if they feel the need to retire Mark Howe than most likely all three will get their numbers in the rafters. Howe was a great defenseman who put up his best numbers with the Flyers, but like somebody said, his last name I think had a lot more to do with his HOF induction and probably his number 2 being retired.

On another note, I hate handing out the honor of having your number retired if you've never won a Cup. I understand it, but I don't fully agree. But anyway, if that's the way it's gonna be I would like to see Hextall, Kerr, Propp, Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins all in the rafters.

And like somebody else also said, the new banners look pretty ******.

vCash
    Brindy / Lindros / LeClair

any of those 3 were just pure leaders, just amazing how they were all on the same team at the same time for a while there...

even more so amazing that we didnt win a cup with them, almost had one but still....man...

But I have to agree with RS here, you cannot simply just say ok lets retire a number....

vCash
    I'm going with what a few already said and thats Lindros and Leclair.. That ovation that Eric received at the Winter Classic was unbelievable and I think it's going to happen one day.

vCash
    If I had to say one person I'd say Lindros just because at the time of his dominance he was easily one of the best players in the world. It's just sad it didn't last longer.

G has a chance but that is maybe 25 years down the line.

Also, if a goalie carries us to a cup like Parent once did, I could see them getting their jersey retired.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkey3472 View Post
    If I had to say one person I'd say Lindros just because at the time of his dominance he was easily one of the best players in the world. It's just sad it didn't last longer.

G has a chance but that is maybe 25 years down the line.

Also, if a goalie carries us to a cup like Parent once did, I could see them getting their jersey retired
    that really goes for any player, but totally agree. If this current "core" wins a cup in the next couple years and theres a standout dominate player, they are a shoe-in for a retired number. If the past 5 games where the stanley cup finals... Bryz would:

A. Be the most loved man in Philadelphia
    B. Most likely kick off his number-retiring campaign

vCash
    Reggie Leach I don't think was mentioned and that's a shame. He should definitely have his retired and should be in the Hall of Fame. He was a very key member to the Flyers offense along side Clarke and Barber. Once led the league in goals in a season and is the holder of the most goals in a playoffs record with 19 (tied with Jari Kurri). Subtract him from the LCB line, they wouldn't have had the success the did, in my opinion.

Not having the Right Wing of the LCB line is sad. They all deserve to be in the rafters. Without that line's chemistry and presence, the Flyers probably wouldn't have won the Cup then and would not have one today.
    Phillies | Flyers | Union | Eagles | 76ers
    many thanks thenyknicks!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by schilling View Post
    Reggie Leach I don't think was mentioned and that's a shame. He should definitely have his retired and should be in the Hall of Fame. He was a very key member to the Flyers offense along side Clarke and Barber. Once led the league in goals in a season and is the holder of the most goals in a playoffs record with 19 (tied with Jari Kurri). Subtract him from the LCB line, they wouldn't have had the success the did, in my opinion.

Not having the Right Wing of the LCB line is sad. They all deserve to be in the rafters. Without that line's chemistry and presence, the Flyers probably wouldn't have won the Cup then and would not have one today.

in all honesty, there are so many players from that team you could retire numbers from. you really wanna take the whole team. Rick MacLeish is another name that comes to mind off the top of my head.

that team is so near and dear to all Flyers fans' hearts, but you gotta leave numbers available. otherwise you get into a situation like the Canadiens where players start wearing all these high numbers because all the lower ones are taken.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12