Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Who should be the next Flyer to have his jersey retired?

Now that the Flyers have added #2 to the rafters of Philly's best...Who should be next?

My top three would be

1.) #26 Brian Propp
    2.) #27 Ron Hextall
    3.) #12 Tim Kerr

vCash
    None of them. You retire the best of the best players. I love what Propp did. Hextall as well. But they were what they were - really good, however, not great players. Propp is the only one who MAY have an argument at 1,000 career points, but really, he falls short, to me, of someone who should have a number retired. A Brian Propp night? Go for it. But keep the number open.

Start retiring everyone's number's who the fans liked and you'll run out of numbers.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 03-08-2012 at 08:03 AM.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    I'm not suggesting they do it soon. I'm interested in seeing what player or players people would put on a list of possibilities...

The 80's was an decade of much better competition then the 90's and now in my mind. There wasn't the watered down NHL there is today with all the teams added to the league....

I believe Brian Propp was a better then "good" player. Propp was better then a point per game player for the Flyers (790 GP, 369 G, 480 A, 849 PTS)....If winning a Stanley Cup is the measure of getting your jersey retired not many players would get that honor because the Oilers was a team dynasty in the 80's....

Hextall is a different player in the fact that he changed the way the goaltending position is played. Hextall did things that other goalies didn't do in the 80's....Parent has the Cups....Hextall played only 3 more games in a Flyers uniform then Bernie, but had 8 more wins. Hextall, to me, had just as successful a Flyers' career as Parent - in the regular season...

Those 2 would probably be the only 2 I hope get their numbers retired....sometime in the future....

The 70's Flyers produced alot of good/great players (Clarke/Barber/Parent), but the 80's were no slouches either. The only difference was the lack of a Stanley Cup championship.

vCash
    My pick...

John LeClair

How can you NOT want that jersey in the rafters?

LeClair was a staple of Flyers hockey in the mid 90's and a true fan favorite. A few years down the road, I would love to see my man's jersey up there with everyone else....

LET'S .... GO .... FLYERS!!

vCash
    None of the above. Hextall had one great year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydes View Post
    My pick...

John LeClair

How can you NOT want that jersey in the rafters?

LeClair was a staple of Flyers hockey in the mid 90's and a true fan favorite. A few years down the road, I would love to see my man's jersey up there with everyone else....
    Like this a lot. I agree Johnny was one hell of a player and easily my favorite with Hextall a close 2nd.

vCash
    Lindros is gonna have to get it someday. other than that, i gotta agree with Cubs (for the first time ever i think lol).

can't keep retiring numbers. there's a reason only 1 player has had his number retired outside the Bullies era.

vCash
    Claude Giroux. Yeah, I said it. The front office just needs to keep him around long enough.

Also, I don't think there was really anyone else that was around and great for a long enough period of time. Lindros, LeClair, Desjairdins, Recchi, Brind'Amour, Leach, Kerr, Gagne each played about 8-10 years with the Flyers but I just don't see any of their numbers getting retired. If G sticks around another 8 years or so and wins a cup, I could see 28 being retired.

The only other current number I could see being officially retired from the Flyers is 31. No one has worn it since Pelle died.
    Last edited by delfinko; 03-08-2012 at 01:22 PM.

vCash
    LeClair is deserving....Lindros as well.

vCash
    b
    Quote Originally Posted by delfinko View Post
    Claude Giroux. Yeah, I said it. The front office just needs to keep him around long enough.

Also, I don't think there was really anyone else that was around and great for a long enough period of time. Lindros, LeClair, Desjairdins, Recchi, Brind'Amour, Leach, Kerr, Gagne each played about 8-10 years with the Flyers but I just don't see any of their numbers getting retired. If G sticks around another 8 years or so and wins a cup, I could see 28 being retired.

The only other current number I could see being officially retired from the Flyers is 31. No one has worn it since Pelle died.
    I was about to say that.

vCash
    The only two I can think of would be Lindros and maybe Leclair outside of Propp...propp's career numbers are impressive as a flyer...Very impressive actually...only knock would be spending a large chunk of his 14 year career on other teams. Was he ever considered for the Hall of Fame? i know he's in the flyers HOF...which is important. Lindros would have to be retired, in my opinion. He was such a force...and a game changer. leclair had 5 really good years but after the 99-00 season, when lindros left, Leclair was simply average to good...he never scored more than 25 goals again...He was clearly a product of playing on the same line as lindros.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by porterpotty28 View Post
    The only two I can think of would be Lindros and maybe Leclair outside of Propp...propp's career numbers are impressive as a flyer...Very impressive actually...only knock would be spending a large chunk of his 14 year career on other teams. Was he ever considered for the Hall of Fame? i know he's in the flyers HOF...which is important. Lindros would have to be retired, in my opinion. He was such a force...and a game changer. leclair had 5 really good years but after the 99-00 season, when lindros left, Leclair was simply average to good...he never scored more than 25 goals again...He was clearly a product of playing on the same line as lindros.
    after the 99-00 season he was a product of playing with a deteriorating back. the guy was never the same after his back surgery.

playing with lindros helped, but a scorer can score no matter who he's playing with. his back was just shot after he hurt it and he was never the same.

vCash
    A little off topic, but does anybody else dislike the new banner idea? Apparently they are going to use the picture style banner for all of the retired numbers. Maybe its me, but a retired number banner should be name and big number. Now its big picture, small name and number. I dont like it a little bit.

vCash
    Outside of Barry Ashbee, all the retired numbers are of Hall of Famers, so there seems to be a criterion. I think its good to have a standard for getting your number retired. For instance, at UNC if you win player of the year, your number gets retired.

None of the guys who have been mentioned are Hall of Famers, in my opinion. Until the Flyers win another cup, I don't think anyone's number will be retired, in which case the captain's number will no doubt be retired.

Actually, thinking about it they should put banners up there for Fred Shero and Gene Hart.
    Last edited by smking619; 03-08-2012 at 05:00 PM.
    Prepare to experience sexual magic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillysports101 View Post
    A little off topic, but does anybody else dislike the new banner idea? Apparently they are going to use the picture style banner for all of the retired numbers. Maybe its me, but a retired number banner should be name and big number. Now its big picture, small name and number. I dont like it a little bit.
    I like the classic look of the just the name and number (I like how Detroit makes theirs resemble their jerseys). But I can also see where ownership is going with the picture. A lot of fans have never seen Ashbee, Parent, Clarke, Barber, and Howe play. Personally, I never got to see any of them play until the Alumni Game. My generation of fan had Clarke as GM and Barber as coach, not as Hall of Fame players. They should be remembered as such, and putting their picture with their name and number helps to achieve that.
    Prepare to experience sexual magic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast