Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Hybrid View

vCash

Garon out 3-4 Weeks With Groin Tear; Tokarsi called Up

Link
    Tampa Bay Lightning goaltender Mathieu Garon is out three to four weeks with a groin tear sustained during Tuesday night's 7-3 loss to the Ottawa Senators.

Dustin Tokarsi will be called up from AHL Norfolk and join the team for Thursday's game in Washington.

Claiming Marty Turco off waivers is not an option for the Lightning because of NHL bylaw 12.4, which states that any player claimed off waivers after the trade deadline is ineligible to play at all for the claiming team.

vCash
    I love Dustin,

and he is definately the Goalie of our future ... probobly a year or two in the future.

unless we trade him for a grinding forward and then give that grinding forward to detroit.

I kid, I kid.

Anyway Dustin is going to be a great goalie one day even if he is a bit small.

The only thing that stinks is right now this hurts the Admirals who are very much playing for the Clader Cup this year.

It also hurts that Garon was playing like a beast for us over the last few weeks. He wasn't lights out ... but he was as good as I have ever seen Garon.

vCash
    Dustin Tokarski.

With Matheiu Garon going down with the groin injury, the Bolts' hand was forced, and they are bringing up Dustin Tokarski from their AHL affiliate Norfolk Admirals to back up Dwayne Roloson....and that starts tonight in Washington, DC.

Thing is, should Tokarski be the back up? Or should he get equal time starting games?
    This isn't as ridiculous as it sounds, seeing as how Roloson just doesn't seem to have it anymore in him to compete at the NHL level.

The Bolts are in a quandry....they are close enough to a playoff spot, to where they would like to play their best players (preferably veteran guys), but far enough out with teams to climb over, that the playoffs may still not be a reality, AND they really need to see what they have in Tokarski now, rather than later.

I don't know...sure I would like to see Roloson rise to the occasion and help carry the Bolts while Garon is out.
    Mostly because I am not sure about Tokarski in net, coupled with the terrible Tampa defensive coverage, that his confidence could be completely shot!
    And let's be honest here, Tampa's D, though promising in the coming seasons, STILL gives up way too many scoring chances, forcing the goalie to "fend for himself" more often than not.

Dwayne Roloson rising to the occasion? Well, he hasn't done it all year.....why should we believe he could do it now?

I have no word at this point in time who the Bolts will start against the Caps.
    I would think, if you're going to bring up Tokarski, the Caps would be the team to do it against.
    Why?
    Well, the Caps have enough talent so that Dustin could see good NHL talent up close and personal...but also, the Caps have struggled enough themselves, with the team having its own confidence and internal problems, so that possibly, Tokarski isn't overwhelmed by this team, like say he would a Pittsburgh Penguins team, who is firing on all cylinders.

One thing I hope for: If Guy Boucher IS going to use Tokarski, I hope he has already told him he is starting, let the guy get mentally set, and NOT bring him in cold after starting an ineffective Dwayne Roloson.

Go Bolts!

vCash
    I'm worried that it's too early for him as well. Like you said our D gives up way too many chances and we could potentially destroy DT's confidence completely. However, if he comes out of the gate on fire and absolutely shutting the opponents down, how does that play into next year's plans? I'm hoping he isn't brought up to warm the bench only getting put in when Roloson allows his token 4+ goals...

vCash
    DT actually looked great.

Both late goals were scored by a complete lack of defense.

Heck that last one by Ovie ... what was Clark doing? I mean dumbfouding ...

They needed to give the kid a chance and they did for 3 and a half periods

then two completely open goals. The Ovie one was stoppable, but hey one bad move in the whole game for DT ... whereas the D left him alone at least eight times ... at least he stopped most of them!

All in all DT showed he is close to being ready.

vCash
    I know the results have not shown it (two losses in two starts).

But Dustin actually looks very solid for a Goalie that is probobly one season from actually being ready.

We have looked so horrible on defense it has been humorous. But this kid has kept us in the last two games even when the team seems to have given up.

I mean nod to the kid for playing better than I thought he would

vCash
    He played a hell of a game against the Bruins...

vCash
    So Dustin puts up 3 solid games since his debut.

Rocks it out of the house against Boston, has two solid outings before that, one he lost because of defensive breakdowns, the other he lost on a shooters goal.

To reward him for solid play ... Guy puts in Rolly ... who has not stopped a puck since November ... we have 24 potential points ... we could still make some noise ... maybe not win anything in the post season ... but heck there is hope to actually get there ... and prove that some of those roster changes did some good ...

But ... we start the guy who has not won in two months ... who has just lost what he had in net ... if nothing before sent a message to the guys ... and us as fans ... that did.

Guy gave up on the season and the rest of us should too. He is taking his 1-3-1 that no longer works and going home.

I am rediculously loyal to our bolts ... but over the course of this year I have really lost faith in Boucher and Stevie Y. I hope they come out next season and really prove me wrong, I really do. But I am starting to think Bryan Lawton was not so bad in rhetrospect ... I mean he did get us Downie, and Carter, and Stamkos, and Hedeman, and others who really turned out to be great players. (of course stammer was a no brainer)

What exactly has Stevie Y done other than take the players Lawton got to the playoffs last year? Made some horrible deadline deals? Check, brought in Shannon and Gilroy? Check, Not gotten his coach to move away from a system that quit working? Check.

I am sorry for being negative ... this season has just killed me ... we have pissed away so much potential.

vCash
    All comes down to execution, Sunbelt.

Our players simply have not executed in critical situations. But then, that is to be expected from having a relatively young team.
    As for the 'vets' on the team...ya, I agree and expect MUCH more out of them.

I honestly do NOT want to see guys like Brett Clark, Bruno Gervais, or even Mattias Ohlund (though we are stuck with him I believe) patrolling our defense.

I believe Tokarski has made a good showing of himself despite the failed defense.
    Do I think the Bolts still need to be open to finding other goaltending options? Absolutely.

I am not sour on the job Boucher or Stevie Y have done.
    Again, many of the team's failings have been due to poor execution, which in turn are a by-product of being 'green' in many areas, particularly defensively.

You know as well as I do, that the Bolts could have EASILY had about 10 more wins this season (adding roughly 20 points to the standings), had they only executed better.
    Many 'wins' were turned to losses....and far too many of their losses were due to poor execution and starts, that once they settled in and attempted the comeback, it always seemed they fall just short.

Guy Boucher's systems...yes, plural, are quite complex, flexible and variable.
    Probably not the easiest to grasp, but once grasped, I believe are very effective.

All throughout last season, and even many parts of this season, the team has shown variance in how they play. And seemingly could adapt to any style.....provided, of course, they EXECUTE.
    Which, sadly, has NOT been the case this season.

That coupled with key injuries, the poor defensive coverage and piss poor goaltending, and well, you basically have the Bolts 2011-12 season.

Yzerman may not have pushed all the right buttons all of the time, but the guy is trying, and he hasn't been as bad as some have made him out to be.
    He knows darn well we have needs on defense, and personally, I thought he did a pretty good job at trying to address that at this year's deadline.

He did get rid of some 'dead weight' (Kubina, Gilroy...yes, yes, I know..Gilroy was his own doing, but at least he corrected that), and brought in some fresh young blood on defense.

As for goaltending...no, Stevie Y did NOT really address that this season, but then, what was available?
    Possibly Ben Bishop? Ottawa got to him first...possibly a trade for Corey Schneider? Who knows how realistic that would have been (or what Vancouver was asking for him).
    Someone else? Who knows....

But now Tokarski has his chance, though not by design, but he is here, and has shown himself to be a guy that needs to be considered.

This particular off season should be very interesting. I am just as disappointed as you in this team this season, Sunbelt, and I salute your loyalty, but I think if this team can solve their goalie issues (either Tokarski stablizes the position or someone else is brought in to do that), the Lightning could be something to watch next season.
    They certainly have the firepower, and the defense (minus some albatrosses) should be better.

As for Lawton? Please....he was the product hiring of Barrie and Koules...two clowns who had NO BUSINESS in hockey operations, much less OWNING a team.
    Now whether Lawton himself was of the same mindset of those two idiots, I don't know...I may being unfair to him in that regard, but I am glad new owner Vinik did a 'housecleaning' so as to remove handprints of the previous ownership.

Bringing in Gary Roberts was a good move by Lawton however....even today, many Bolts players credit Roberts knowledge and experience for their better play.