Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 37 of 162 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Here's an idea for what to do with cap room if we amnesty EB (given there aren't really any free agents that will help long term): offer Jrue a Nick Collison extension. Give him an extension for 4 years or whatever, then renegotiate his 2012/13 salary up as far as it can go under the cap. He gets like $10m extra in 2012/13 instead of waiting for it over the next 4 years, and his salary over the 4 years of the extension is a few million below market value to compensate, leaving more room for the team to do things in 2013, when there's actually a good free agent class.
    It only works if we end up with cap room going into the season, ie after dealing with Lou and Spencer and what not, and there's no way the FO even think of it, but it's interesting anyway.

vCash
    I like it!

gotta pay the troll toll

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bholly View Post
    Here's an idea for what to do with cap room if we amnesty EB (given there aren't really any free agents that will help long term): offer Jrue a Nick Collison extension. Give him an extension for 4 years or whatever, then renegotiate his 2012/13 salary up as far as it can go under the cap. He gets like $10m extra in 2012/13 instead of waiting for it over the next 4 years, and his salary over the 4 years of the extension is a few million below market value to compensate, leaving more room for the team to do things in 2013, when there's actually a good free agent class.
    It only works if we end up with cap room going into the season, ie after dealing with Lou and Spencer and what not, and there's no way the FO even think of it, but it's interesting anyway.
    Is that definitely legal?

vCash
    I'm pretty sure. I'm basing it on the last CBA, but I've read in a few places (including a Larry Coon chat today that gave me the idea) that they haven't removed any of the bits you need to do it.
    There's two parts:
    An extension, which Jrue will be eligible to sign any time between July 21 (the 3 year anniversary of signing his rookie deal) and October 31 (after which he can't be extended and will become an RFA in 2013). The extension can be for any amount up to his max and starts in 2013/14.
    Then there's a renegotiation of the last year of his current deal, ie 2012/13, which can be to increase his salary to any number that still fits under the cap, and can happen any time after that July 21 date.
    You're just giving him less money in each year of the extension in exchange for giving him the same amount next year as part of a renegotiation.

I'm pretty sure the renegotiation has to go first, because the earliest date for a renegotiation is three years after the signing or last extension - so if you do the extension first you have to wait three years for the renegotiation. But that doesn't really make a difference, we'd do them both the same day.

Assuming Coon is right about the current CBA being the same, it works.

It won't be dramatic as Collison's, for sure - they weren't giving him that much anyway, so the $10m they gave him as a renegotiation was like half of it, whereas for Jrue it will be less - but knocking a few million a year of what we owe Jrue could really help.
    It also makes him extremely valuable if we decided to trade him - next year he'll be a sort of combination of a talented young PG and a $4-5m expiring, and after that he'll be a talented young PG at a few million below market price. Gold.

vCash
    Holly has got to be one of the biggest Basketball beasts on these forums.

vCash
    If we can trade Thad for a solid role player at SF (that could be Iggy's eventual replacement) and some cap flexibility, I'd pull the trigger.

Maybe a draft pick in the 16-20 range (doubtful), or to a struggling team that needs points and regular season wins more than role players.
    Last edited by wannabGM; 03-30-2012 at 09:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyPrior View Post
    When you go out of the way just to hate...no one takes you seriously.

vCash
    ^Kings....sign and trade Thompson, their 1st and a 2nd for Thad and our 1st.
    "A coach I talked to at the [summer league] 2 years ago who worked with Speights pre-draft said He has all the talent in the world, but hes dumb as bricks. - Jordan Sams of Liberty Ballers

vCash
    I think the Cavs own the rights to the Kings 1st round pick, even though its lottery protected so I'm not sure how that works. Can they still trade it? But like I said in the draft thread:

Stephen Jackson, Livingston, and the 19th was traded for Maggette and the 7th last year. Thad and our first should get us into the top-10.

vCash
    this draft is expected to be much stronger than last years tho. I doubt Thad with his current deal and our first moves up into the top-10

vCash

JJ Hickson

We didn't need this guy right? The guy is absolutely torching it in Portland right now including 30 and 13 tonight and we are stuck with Brand and these other scrubs. This guy could have been had for nothing! F this team.

vCash
    The team as currently constructed is not working. Why they didn't go out there and sign a young big in Hickson who was just sitting out there and is now lighting it up for the Blazers is beyond me. This team infuriates me.

vCash
    lol i was watching the game.

can't tell me he wasn't worth a look. he was dunking on people, grabbing boards left and right, played solid D on Blake and was aggressive in the paint.

But those attitude problems...
    WE BUILDIN

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy553 View Post
    The team as currently constructed is not working. Why they didn't go out there and sign a young big in Hickson who was just sitting out there and is now lighting it up for the Blazers is beyond me. This team infuriates me.
    This is roster discussion and goes in the roster discussion thread, not its own thread. You know that because you also posted it there.

The reason we didn't go out and sign him is because you can only sign free agents, and Hickson was never a free agent. Sactown waived him, Portland claimed him. Never available to be signed at any point in that process.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JtotheMurphy View Post
    ^Kings....sign and trade Thompson, their 1st and a 2nd for Thad and our 1st.
    I doubt they swap firsts for Thad. Thompson I think is more PF than SF. But on a cheap deal, I might not mind taking a flyer on him as a backup. I think they'd be more interested in maybe giving up Tyreke for a package that includes Thad as the centerpiece. Personally, I'm not sure if I'd do that or not.

Quote Originally Posted by urban85disciple View Post
    I think the Cavs own the rights to the Kings 1st round pick, even though its lottery protected so I'm not sure how that works. Can they still trade it? But like I said in the draft thread:

Stephen Jackson, Livingston, and the 19th was traded for Maggette and the 7th last year. Thad and our first should get us into the top-10.
    That wasn't a normal type of draft deal. I do think using Thad as bait we could have easily been the trade partner with the Bucks instead of the Bobcats. But that would have taken an S+T, which I doubt Thad would have agreed to. If the Sixers were going to extend Thad all along, they should have done it sooner so they had more trade possibilities.....lack of foresight as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by 2-ONE-5 View Post
    this draft is expected to be much stronger than last years tho. I doubt Thad with his current deal and our first moves up into the top-10
    Agreed. Last year was a weird draft with guys in the 20's every bit as good as many of the players drafted after the top 5. I don't see that happening this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ryguy553 View Post
    We didn't need this guy right? The guy is absolutely torching it in Portland right now including 30 and 13 tonight and we are stuck with Brand and these other scrubs. This guy could have been had for nothing! F this team.
    He's explosive. But there are some holes in his game from what I remember. I doubt he's as reliable defensively over the course of a season as Brand....even at Brand's current age. He might turn out to be a good player. He certainly has some offensive ability. But I think right now, given the Sixers' current struggles, Collins' system, and the players' unselfish ways, a lot of young players around the league might flash in ways the Sixers' players just don't due to the circumstances. I think it might be a "grass is greener" trap you might be falling into. The bigger problem with our roster than the players on it is that we aren't getting the max utilization out of them. This pervasive idea in the sports media that Collins has always gotten the most out of this team in the W/L column has always lacked any substance to me. He's developed these guys in an impressive way. But as far as W/L's, not so impressive. They should have a better record than they do right now. I'd take the Sixers roster over NY or Boston for sure.....and maybe Orlando too.
    Last edited by wannabGM; 03-31-2012 at 09:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyPrior View Post
    When you go out of the way just to hate...no one takes you seriously.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bholly View Post
    This is roster discussion and goes in the roster discussion thread, not its own thread. You know that because you also posted it there.

The reason we didn't go out and sign him is because you can only sign free agents, and Hickson was never a free agent. Sactown waived him, Portland claimed him. Never available to be signed at any point in that process.
    We could have gotten the guy. Thorn even went on record saying they weren't interested. 7 seed for sure now.