Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 48 of 58 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast
    vCash
    part of me feels like kicking in general is just bad. i have a feeling we'll have the same issues with another guy. thats why i'd rather get a kicker with the last pick we have.

i wouldnt be as upset if he was missing 55 yarders but 48 in GB and 29 against ATL is pathetic.

vCash
    well, Ivory isn't too pleased with being inactive so far this season. He's ready to contribute. Vitt has said that he won't be traded, either.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-him/#comments

Cameron Jordan is awesome

12.5 sacks and this http://instagram.com/p/jfs5DemKo3/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neovenator250:24075883
    well, Ivory isn't too pleased with being inactive so far this season. He's ready to contribute. Vitt has said that he won't be traded, either.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-him/#comments
    Interesting somethings up ......I wonder if someone is being shopped around and maybe it aint Ivory.
    LET'S ROLL SAINTS!!!

vCash
    i feel bad for the guy, i wish he'd get ingrams carries and i'm an ingram guy

vCash
    Given Ivory's lack of development with the screen game, why aren't the Saints shopping him?

vCash
    if we had loomis he probably would of been shopped

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iamaj View Post
    Given Ivory's lack of development with the screen game, why aren't the Saints shopping him?
    I think he would have been traded by now if we had Loomis. Its hard for the interim GM to come in and trade a guy, then possibly get bashed if Loomis comes back and hates the trade
    "I am and always will be- The Optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes. The dreamer of improbable dreams."

vCash
    Time to revive this thread. After Loomis gets a new extension done with Sean Payton, his work will have just begun, fellas. Its going to be a tough offseason for Magic Mickey. The Saints salary cap for 2013 is a nightmare. As of today, we're over $25 million over the projected 2013 salary cap. Here's a good piece by Peter King on the Saints coming situation:

As of this morning, the New England Patriots and Chicago Bears have seven players scheduled to carry 2013 salary cap numbers of $3 million or higher. The New Orleans Saints have 15, including the gaudy $17.4 milion number quarterback Drew Brees will carry based on his new five-year deal signed in July.
    Cap numbers, of course, can and will change. But as of today, the Saints are in major trouble if they're going to use any avenue except the fixed-cost NFL Draft to repair their defense in 2013. The 15 heaviest contracts the Saints have, as of this morning, take up 87 percent of their 2013 salary cap. The NFL is scheduled to have a cap number of about $121 million per team next year, though that varies from team to team depending on cap credits and money carried over from the previous season.
    Think of that: The Saints have 28 percent of their 53-man roster taking up 87 percent of the cap room. And they'll be at least $25 million over the $121 million cap at the start of the free-agency period.

Player 2013 Salary

QB Drew Brees $17.40 million
    DE Will Smith $14.50m
    G Jahri Evans $9.86m
    LB Jonathan Vilma $8.63m
    WR Marques Colston $6.60m
    G Ben Grubbs $7.30m
    S Roman Harper $7.10m
    LB Curtis Lofton $7.10m
    CB Jabari Greer $5.42m
    LB David Hawthorne $4.76m
    DT Brodrick Bunkley $4.70m
    WR Lance Moore $4.47m
    CB Malcolm Jenkins $3.88m
    RB Darren Sproles $3.75m

Of course, that will have to change. But even if the Saints can re-do huge pacts like Will Smith's, and even if they make a veteran such as Jonathan Vilma or David Hawthorne a cap casualty, the front office will still find it tough to keep this team intact for the long haul. (And cutting Vilma would still incur a $2.6 million cap charge for the 2013 portion of his pro-rated signing bonus.) How, for instance, will they be able to re-sign left tackle Jermon Bushrod, scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent?

vCash
    Smith is gone. That should save around $9M.

Knowing he could be suspended, I think Vilma would take some long-term security and restructure (plus there is no way the Saints would keep a Will for that much). Even if he doesn't, he'll probably miss anywhere from 25% to all of next season, which would save $2M or all $8.63. If he is cut, that'll save $6M.

Got to think about locking down Graham, too.

Isn't the cap supposed to increase significantly in a few years?

vCash

Isn't the cap supposed to increase significantly in a few years?
    yeah, but i don't think the jump is supposed to happen for another year or two when the new TV deal money kicks in. won't help us for next year

vCash
    Figured that. Just wondered how long the wizard will have to pull this off.

The Saints can save $12M-17.63M with Smith and Vilma. I'd hate to lose Hawthorne because the Saints' D looked better when he came back and was healthy. I don't even want to think about it, but with all the young DBs the Saints got, could Greer become a casualty? It would save $3.6M, but I would rather not go that route.

Knew this team would have to upgrade via the draft. Just hope Goodell gives us our pick back.

vCash
    Figured that. Just wondered how long the wizard will have to pull this off.

The Saints can save $12M-17.63M with Smith and Vilma. I'd hate to lose Hawthorne because the Saints' D looked better when he came back and was healthy. I don't even want to think about it, but with all the young DBs the Saints got, could Greer become a casualty? It would save $3.6M, but I would rather not go that route.

Knew this team would have to upgrade via the draft. Just hope Goodell gives us our pick back.
    I think this is the primary answer. This plus several restructurings will probably be most of the cap work. Don't think the Saints are ready to give up on Greer just yet, especially after they let Tracy Porter walk. Don't think Johnny Patrick or Corey White (definitely not Corey White) are ready for a starting role and Patrick Robinson isn't ready to be the primary cover man. That's probably where the coaches/front office would like things to go but we aren't there yet. Greer is still too valuable to this defense.

We need that pick back pretty badly...

vCash
    I'm with you on Greer, but the Saints will have to find anywhere from $7.5M to $13M. Got to come from somewhere. C'mon, wizard!

I think Smith is done. No way his contract gets redone to the point where it saves the same $9M as cutting him. Needs to go, anyway. Vilma is less clear. I think he knows his best fit is in NO. He also knows he will be gone for some games in 2013. I think he rewards the Saints' loyalty by restructuring.

BTW, my research shows Vilma's cap hit is $7.6M for next season with a base salary of $4.8M. Knowing he'll be suspended for at least part of it, I could see him and Loomis agreeing on a 2-3 year deal with a tiny cap hit like $1.5M-3M next year, then a spike in the subsequent years.

vCash
    I'm with you on Greer, but the Saints will have to find anywhere from $7.5M to $13M. Got to come from somewhere. C'mon, wizard!

I think Smith is done. No way his contract gets redone to the point where it saves the same $9M as cutting him. Needs to go, anyway. Vilma is less clear. I think he knows his best fit is in NO. He also knows he will be gone for some games in 2013. I think he rewards the Saints' loyalty by restructuring.

BTW, my research shows Vilma's cap hit is $7.6M for next season with a base salary of $4.8M. Knowing he'll be suspended for at least part of it, I could see him and Loomis agreeing on a 2-3 year deal with a tiny cap hit like $1.5M-3M next year, then a spike in the subsequent years.
    this is exactly what I think we'll do for Vilma and then the same with some other guys we restructure with. Saves us the cap room now and then their pay will spike along with the rise in cap space. Look for Loomis to leave one of those GM loopholes that basically gives the team the option to cut the player for a small cap hit before the rise in salary applies.

vCash
    The Saints can use Vilma at Will, and Vilma doesn't have a ton of leverage because no team thinks he's a Mike, anymore. Given the suspension looming, few teams would really want him. The two sides should come to terms quickly. It's a no-brainer.

Page 48 of 58 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast