Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 34 of 58 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Underdogz∞ View Post
    This draft is gonna be interesting....I guess they all are... I just think barring any more FA signings.

We should take the best player available with our first pick hopefully thats a DB/S seems like every year we end up needing to draft a DB. However theres a need to go OLB here with first pick A FAST ONE! Bruce Irvin, DE/OLB, West Virginia with Lofton and Martez would be young but fast and interesting to see. George Iloka, S, Boise State may be worth a first pick too. If he doesnt work at safety at 6 '4 230 put him at OLB.

If we took WR Nick Toon with our first I think that would be cool too.

My wish would be to get Dontari Poe, DT/NT, Memphis somehow. Like I said I think this guy is going to be special! so much so that I'd leverage all available resources to get him if it were my decision.
    I'm not a Bruce Irvin fan, honestly. I could easily be wrong, but the more I hear, the more I don't really care for him. He's pretty limited I think. Does have speed and looks impressive in shorts, but just not sure about it translating onto the NFL field.

I said it a good bit a while back, but we haven't really talked about it since Colston re-signed. Nick Toon is my favorite WR and one of my favorites overall. I'd love to draft him. The guy reminds me of Colston but faster. He has the routes, the hands, the size, with a little more deep speed than Colston brings to the table. Likely we're looking to add defensive depth at pretty much every level of the draft, though. Doubt we'll get him unless he's inexplicably there in the 4th. Value would just be too much, then.

Cameron Jordan is awesome

12.5 sacks and this http://instagram.com/p/jfs5DemKo3/

vCash
    No way we have the ammunition for poe.. Although any guy called a dancing bear i would love to welcome to our team.

I saw two guys Walter listed on his sleeper defence that I liked.
    One being jean baptiste out of baylor and the other being Brandon Taylor from
    Lsu

Here's what he said about JB
    When watching Baylor primarily for its offensive prospects, the one player on the Bears' defense who constantly stood out and made his presence felt was Jean-Baptiste. He was a force at the line of scrimmage who was capable of stuffing interior runs and collapsing the pocket with a pass rush. The Baylor defense was generally terrible, and Jean-Baptiste was the only player who was a difference-maker. He totaled 36 tackles with 8.5 tackles for a loss, four sacks and three passes broken up this year.

Jean-Baptiste (6-1, 335) was dominant at the East-West Shrine. He showed major potential to be a nose tackle in a 4-3 or 3-4 defense. Jean-Baptiste was like a bowling ball all week, rolling through offensive linemen to cause disruption in the backfield. Every lineman who went against him had problems with his bull rush.

Jean-Baptiste has natural pad level and consistently gets underneath the pads of offensive linemen to push them straight back. The need for nose tackles for a 3-4 defense should help him, but he did not work out at the Combine. Jean-Baptiste looks more like a third-day pick, but a team could consider him in the third round.

And this about Taylor
    In a weak safety class, it is surprising that Taylor hasn't seen his stock rise. He played well in 2011 and is very underrated. Even with a lot of playmakers around him, Taylor still produced. He had 71 tackles with 7.5 tackles for a loss, five passes broken up, one sack and two interceptions this season. Taylor had strong games against West Virginia, Florida and Alabama. Fast and physical, he was the third-leading tackler for LSU in 2011.

Taylor is hard hitter who looks to punish receivers. He is fast and doesn't shy away from getting physical near the line of scrimmage. At the Senior Bowl, his physicality stood out along with quality instincts and anticipation. His Combine 40-yard dash time of 4.50 was very impressive as well.

Taylor could be an ideal safety for the current NFL. He has the quickness and agility to play the centerfield free safety type with the strength and striking ability to defend the run in the box. Taylor can play strong or free safety, and many defenses view the safety positions as interchangeable. He is very underrated and could surprise in the NFL.

vCash
    Btw, neo where do you teach?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cholmes504 View Post
    Btw, neo where do you teach?
    I'm an LSU grad student, so I teach one lecture and one lab in Geology and Paleontology. Hoping to push for a PhD at either Texas or Washington in a couple of years.
    Last edited by neovenator250; 03-29-2012 at 04:44 PM.

vCash
    Numbers are out on Curtis Lofton's contract with the Saints. The deal averages about $5.5 million per year overall, so its quite a bit lower than Lofton's original asking price (between $8 and $9 million). The first year cap number is only $1.7 million, so thats how we managed to get him under the cap for this season. The total value of the deal could be worth up to $33.5 million if Lofton hits escalators on the back end of this contract. This thing is definitely backloaded, as expected. Lofton is scheduled to get a $5 million roster bonus in 2013, when his base salary rises to $1.1 million. In 2014, Lofton’s base salary is only $1 million, but he’s scheduled for another $2 million roster bonus. In 2015, Lofton is scheduled to earn $2.4 million in base salary and collect yet another roster bonus for $4.5 million and a $100,000 workout bonus. In 2016, Lofton’s base salary rises to $5.4 million and he’s scheduled to receive a $100,000 workout bonus. The final year of the deal (2017) is voidable and Lofton is scheduled to make $6 million in base salary. Lofton’s biggest cap numbers will come hit in 2013 ($7.1 million) and 2015 ($8 million).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neovenator250 View Post
    I'm not a Bruce Irvin fan, honestly. I could easily be wrong, but the more I hear, the more I don't really care for him. He's pretty limited I think. Does have speed and looks impressive in shorts, but just not sure about it translating onto the NFL field.

I said it a good bit a while back, but we haven't really talked about it since Colston re-signed. Nick Toon is my favorite WR and one of my favorites overall. I'd love to draft him. The guy reminds me of Colston but faster. He has the routes, the hands, the size, with a little more deep speed than Colston brings to the table. Likely we're looking to add defensive depth at pretty much every level of the draft, though. Doubt we'll get him unless he's inexplicably there in the 4th. Value would just be too much, then.
    I'm gonna go on record at this point and say the first pick by the Saints will be a OLB/DE type guy. You know why because we will likely not have Vilma and Will Smith so a hybrid guy like that could fill a depth need at two positions. So I'm locking in my prediction. Last year I thought we'd take Heyward Jr. but we went Jordan. I did think we'd get Ingram and we did. But I didnt think we were gonna get him in the 1st round. But if we look at our recent draft history the safe bet would probably be a DB/S type guy with the first pick seems like you need about 5 of those DB guys on the team every year.
    LET'S ROLL SAINTS!!!

vCash
    I'm gonna go on record at this point and say the first pick by the Saints will be a OLB/DE type guy. You know why because we will likely not have Vilma and Will Smith so a hybrid guy like that could fill a depth need at two positions. So I'm locking in my prediction. Last year I thought we'd take Heyward Jr. but we went Jordan. I did think we'd get Ingram and we did. But I didnt think we were gonna get him in the 1st round. But if we look at our recent draft history the safe bet would probably be a DB/S type guy with the first pick seems like you need about 5 of those DB guys on the team every year.
    Yeah, we always are going after these types. Always seems to be a need. The Patriots are doing this too.

As for the OLB/DE guys, I get what you're saying, but there's a reason they're considered hybrids. Its so rare to find someone who can actually play both effectively, especially in a 4-3 (which I do think we'll be sitting in the majority of the time with Spags). I don't think there's anyone near where we pick that is on that level. When you draft a guy like that, you tend to try to pigeon hole him at a position so that he can try to produce there or you sit in a 3-4 and use him to rush the passer without putting a hand on the ground.

vCash
    Yeah, we always are going after these types. Always seems to be a need. The Patriots are doing this too.

As for the OLB/DE guys, I get what you're saying, but there's a reason they're considered hybrids. Its so rare to find someone who can actually play both effectively, especially in a 4-3 (which I do think we'll be sitting in the majority of the time with Spags). I don't think there's anyone near where we pick that is on that level. When you draft a guy like that, you tend to try to pigeon hole him at a position so that he can try to produce there or you sit in a 3-4 and use him to rush the passer without putting a hand on the ground.
    Yea man football is such a beautiful sport to watch and all the things it takes to make it work are just so interesting. I heard on NFLN the best LB in this draft is a 3-4 guy if you run 4-3 his impact goes down significantly - amazing the difference it makes on a player in a certain scheme.
    LET'S ROLL SAINTS!!!

vCash
    Yea man football is such a beautiful sport to watch and all the things it takes to make it work are just so interesting. I heard on NFLN the best LB in this draft is a 3-4 guy if you run 4-3 his impact goes down significantly - amazing the difference it makes on a player in a certain scheme.
    Yep. Little bit unfortunate that we aren't gonna be running the multiple thing as much now, because we were sort of missing that hybrid pass rusher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cholmes504 View Post
    No way we have the ammunition for poe.. Although any guy called a dancing bear i would love to welcome to our team.

I saw two guys Walter listed on his sleeper defence that I liked.
    One being jean baptiste out of baylor and the other being Brandon Taylor from
    Lsu

Here's what he said about JB
    When watching Baylor primarily for its offensive prospects, the one player on the Bears' defense who constantly stood out and made his presence felt was Jean-Baptiste. He was a force at the line of scrimmage who was capable of stuffing interior runs and collapsing the pocket with a pass rush. The Baylor defense was generally terrible, and Jean-Baptiste was the only player who was a difference-maker. He totaled 36 tackles with 8.5 tackles for a loss, four sacks and three passes broken up this year.

Jean-Baptiste (6-1, 335) was dominant at the East-West Shrine. He showed major potential to be a nose tackle in a 4-3 or 3-4 defense. Jean-Baptiste was like a bowling ball all week, rolling through offensive linemen to cause disruption in the backfield. Every lineman who went against him had problems with his bull rush.

Jean-Baptiste has natural pad level and consistently gets underneath the pads of offensive linemen to push them straight back. The need for nose tackles for a 3-4 defense should help him, but he did not work out at the Combine. Jean-Baptiste looks more like a third-day pick, but a team could consider him in the third round.

And this about Taylor
    In a weak safety class, it is surprising that Taylor hasn't seen his stock rise. He played well in 2011 and is very underrated. Even with a lot of playmakers around him, Taylor still produced. He had 71 tackles with 7.5 tackles for a loss, five passes broken up, one sack and two interceptions this season. Taylor had strong games against West Virginia, Florida and Alabama. Fast and physical, he was the third-leading tackler for LSU in 2011.

Taylor is hard hitter who looks to punish receivers. He is fast and doesn't shy away from getting physical near the line of scrimmage. At the Senior Bowl, his physicality stood out along with quality instincts and anticipation. His Combine 40-yard dash time of 4.50 was very impressive as well.

Taylor could be an ideal safety for the current NFL. He has the quickness and agility to play the centerfield free safety type with the strength and striking ability to defend the run in the box. Taylor can play strong or free safety, and many defenses view the safety positions as interchangeable. He is very underrated and could surprise in the NFL.
    I love Taylor. Also love his stock supposedly being low. Means we can get him

vCash
    I love Taylor. Also love his stock supposedly being low. Means we can get him
    I like the ability to play both. Thats huge

I saw someone tweeted earlier, don't know if it was Triplett or Duncan but were supposably bringing in kelvyn Haden? I may have botched the spelling. Anyhow, he's a cb from the falcons.

Im not sure where were sitting on cap but, it's got to be like a couple hundred thousand at the most. We were just under two before lofton if I'm not Mistaken.

From the lofton deal, if he performs we struck gold. Like the deal a whole lot. And I'm sure the deal is worked out so that loomis make sure everyone eventually gets paid in some maniacal way.
    Last edited by Cholmes504; 03-30-2012 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Comments on lofton

vCash
    and the falcons raid continues lol

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf..._report_1.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffG20 View Post
    If we can sign Hayden, that will be a good pick up everything you read on the guy says he has the goods - speed, hips, etc. Sounds solid to me.

Sounds like he can possibly start if needed which tells me he can be a very solid nickle option. If you're all about speed like me he probably runs a 4.5 not bad at all.
    LET'S ROLL SAINTS!!!

vCash
    Yep, Kelvin Hayden to visit. He's going to be depth since we lost Porter if we sign him. Just hope that he's better than the last Colt's CB that we brought in...

vCash
    Yep, Kelvin Hayden to visit. He's going to be depth since we lost Porter if we sign him. Just hope that he's better than the last Colt's CB that we brought in...
    Yeah what were we thinking that guy was strictly a zone corner trying to play man in our D!! Doomed to fail.

Page 34 of 58 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast