Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Free Agency 2012

Ok, I know its early and with some extremly good bounces the wild can mathamatically still make the playoffs. But I'm interested in getting the ball rolling on thoughts for FA, Maybe the draft this spring/summer.. I would like to maybe keep this mostly to FA /trades and comments about the youth coming in.

From Hockey Buzz (Not as reputable as Cap geek, but still pretty good) the players currently at the big club and under contract are with cap hit.

Forwards
    Heater 7.5 m
    Koivu 6.75m
    PMB 4.08 m
    Cullen 3.5 m
    Seto 3.0 m
    Clutter 1.4m
    Brodzy 2.83m
    Powe 1.06m
    RFA Forwards
    Lats, Palmieri, McMillan, Johnson

Deffense
    Gilbert 4m
    Scandela 0.845m (Hockey Buzz doesn't have him at the NHL now, but they are a little slow)
    Prosser 0.825m
    Spurgeon 0.526m
    RFA Deffense Falk

Goalies Bakstron 6mil, Harding is UFA

We have a projected Cap Salary of 43million (About) which if the CBA stays similar and the Cap stays the same (just for conversation sake) gives us just about 20 million in Cap space!!!

Who should we bring back, RFA and UFA, who should we target in Free agency and how much do we pay them? Probably can add in about 3-5 million in Salary for maybe Coyle, Grandlund Larson and 1 other prospect?

That still gives us 15-17 Mill needing 3-4 Dmen comfortably and 4-8 forwards (not including prospects)

Parise is going to command 6-7 mil for sure IMHO
    Sutter would probably be in that range.. Me thinks
    Are they worth LONG term contracts for that money?
    Those two alone give us Not very much room if signed for that price.

Lets start the debate!! Please keep in mind i'm not looking to be torn to shreds if the info i have up isn't quite right.. Its close and it works for starting the conversation..
    Last edited by Tg1; 03-01-2012 at 05:37 PM.

vCash
    RFA's on the forwards front, I'd like to hang on to Nick Johnson and Nick Palmieri.
    Both have shown flashes of what they can become (good solid 2nd-3rd line power forwards), if given enough ice time.
    Not sure what the payscale should be on guys like that though.

Latandresse? His injury prone-ness (is that a word? LOL) leaves me trepidatious. Yes, he is a big body with good scoring hands, but can he stay healthy? We are talking "head issues" with this guy....
    With the nice crop of forwards we have now, and the ones coming in (Granlund, Coyle, Zucker) I, personally, would be ok letting Guillaume walk.
    McMillan? Don't know a ton about him really, but if I had to pick two of he, Johnson, or Palmieri, I opt to let Mcmillan walk.

On defense, I liked that we got rid of bigger contracts and UFA's to be in Marek Zlidlicky and Greg Zanon....was sad to see Schultz go, but at least Tom Gilbert effectively replaces him both in salary and NHL experience, though of course the trade off is a bit more offense at the expense of solid defense.

I like extending Prosser (he is quickly becoming a favorite of mine), and I think Minny should DEFINITELY reel Justin Falk back in...he plays with an edge, is young, and seems to work well with Prosser.

Goalies could be tricky.
    Do the Wild stay with a combo of Backstrom/Harding? Or go Backstrom/Hackett?
    Or maybe even trade Backstrom, get some decent prospects/picks back, give Harding a nice contract and have Hackett back him up?
    Any of those sound good to me...though if I were doing it? I'd go Backstrom / Hackett.

As for who we could bring in, hmm...
    Parise and Suter would look good in Wild uni's, however, I'd try to sign one or the other, not both (I'd go with Parise personally), and give him his money.
    Parise has consistently been a good goal scorer, and with the exception of last season, plays pretty much all the games he is supposed to play.

Plus the guy should bring in a scoring element not seen in Minnesota since the Marion Gaborik days.

vCash
    id say go hard after one of suter or parise for sure especially with that much room

vCash
    Parise - 10 years 100 Million!!!! haha
    \

vCash

Gui

My opinion is that we should resign him if possible for about a 1-2mill two way contract. Maybe even one that is incentive laden. if he won't take it, let him walk. The head issues are to great for us to sign someone in addition to having 4mil tied up in PMB with head issues. I just would REALLY HATE to see 6 million cap space and salary eaten up buy two guys who only play a total of 40-80 games. I'd much rather let them go and spend that additional 6 on the young guys or Parise-sutter. Gui is afterall a RFA, which means we can just match what ever anyone else is willing to offer. I can't see many teams spending much on a guy who once scored 25+ goals but has spent 2 seasons almost entirely on IR since then.

I like all of our RFA's at the big club. for a minimal cap hit we can probably bring them all back and still have room to sign some other FA's who can have some additional impact to the club. I'd like to see Genoway get a shot at the big club too. He has some solid numbers at Huston and has some prety solid offensive upside. Granted he is small, but he is smart. and as long as he leads to more goals than he gives up, i'm not sure that I care how big he is.

I would agree, my preference would be Parise, but it is pretty apparent we need offensive D as well. Kind of a crap shoot to be honest.

There does appear to be a much deeper list of Forward FA than D this year.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-centra...r=2012&pos=ALL

vCash
    Our first, second and third priority should be Parise. Our D is not terrible to the point where it needs a complete makeover, we have young guys who just need time thats all (im looking at Spurg, Scan and Falk, Kampfer and Prosser) With Gilbert if we could add another puck moving veteran (there will be some of those out there) and another veteran for the bottom pairing I would be fine. We dont need Suter and it wont be worth the term/$ to get him.

As for Gui, we offer him a 1 year show us what ya got contract for 1.5-2mil. If he doesnt like it trade his rights for something. Palm has potential to be a 2nd line power forward he definitely comes back , Johnson is a good 3rd liner so yes he comes back and McMillan has proven to be a good 4th line center so yes he comes back.

I think we sign Harding again and let Hackett have another year in the minor, then the next year we let Harding walk, sign Backstrom for half or less his cap hit and let him and Hackett fight for the starting spot (Like Jimmy Howard and Chros Osgood did in Detroit).

Coyle, Granlund and Larsson's cap hit will only affect us if they play in the NHL and I think the max cap hit for a rookie is 1.25m? But I am not so sure.

But now onto a real possibility. If we keep losing were looking at a top 5 pick in the deepest draft in a decade. If Columbus keeps their winning streak alive and we keep losing who knows with the lottery we could be looking at landing Nail/Grigor who could have an immediate impact at the NHL level or one of the top D prospects.

vCash
    bettman must rig it in our favor lol

vCash
    Not really, as far as points go were the number 6 pick right now. With the lottery we can move up 5 spots (or is it 4?). Add that on top of were going to lose again tonight and probably a lot more games...There is a chance.

vCash
    i honesly dont know

vCash
    Yes im to lazy to research it. But anything top 5 heck even top 10 should be a top line/top pairing player in ~3 years. Anything top 3-5 could produce this/next year. This draft is amazing hah

vCash
    wow at one point of the season it was keep winning minny. and now... keep losing.
    \

vCash
    Yes at this point I say keep losing. The chance for Nail or Grigor actually being a reality is ridiculous.

vCash
    In reality one of Dumba, Murray, Galychenyuk will be available at our pick. Galy was probably going to go 2-3 before his injury, so I would be pumped. But we also have some good depth at center so do we get him or go for a top high end D prospect.
    Last edited by pidg88; 03-07-2012 at 11:47 PM.

vCash
    Just for conversation sake, i'm pretty sure the most you can move up is 4 spots (Via Wikipedia). Lets face facts here. Even if we are the 5th team, we then would NOT win the lottery.. No MN Team ever wins things like this. that 2nd rounder we traded with Burns is looking pretty good right now, even though the Sharks have already traded that away too. I hope we can trade someone for another late first or early 2nd at the draft this year. .. I guess i'm not terribly shocked at the team so far. With so many people out this year its got to be difficult to install a "system" with just about zero consistency in your personel. when 3 of 6 top 6 forwards are out for so long it hurts.. I dont' care what team your on. Anyways.. I'm too disapointed to even think about FA now.. If Parise really wants to play for a contender there is little if any chance he signs here.. I say bring up as many AHL Players and prospects as you can and get them some time at the big club.. I bet Zucker was just horified when he was watching the game at the Pepsi center... Poor guy.

vCash
    ^^^ Haha TG1 your right about good things happening to Minnesota teams. we have terrible luck. This has to be the last straw tho. If we continue to play this way its not crazy to think of a top 3 pick.
    \

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast