Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of the waiver wire/keeper cost proposal.

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am in favor of the waiver wire/keeper cost proposal.

11 100.00%
  • No, I am not in favor of the waiver wire/keeper cost proposal.

0 0%
  • Abstain.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Dfan25's PSD Cubs Forum Yahoo Auction League

Current owners:

ABTY7
    BDawk4Prez
    CubbieSteve
    Dfan25
    northsider
    mell413
    Randall Simon
    RedHeadsRule
    Tehjosha
    Towelie
    StrandedCub
    Yagyu

Green voted Yes
    Red voted No
    Yellow Abstained

Notes:

Dfan25 has given the go ahead on a number of items, so, as promised, your update by the end of the week.

1. Each team may retain up to eight keepers for the 2013 season.

2. The tax will be the same as last season:

a. Drafted players: draft cost + $3

b. Undrafted players/free agents: $5

3. I posted this at the start of the season, but I initially screwed up Tim Lincecum’s keeper value. I incorrectly listed Lincecum at $28 instead of $38. The corrected value will apply to next season, so he will cost $41 to keep for 2013, not $31. You were all notified of this shortly after the draft, so this should not be a surprise.

4. We are considering ways to keep people involved in the day-to-day responsibilities of managing, and we thought that one way to do so would be to factor in the waiver wire a bit more.

Please read the following proposal, weigh in with a post containing your thoughts, and vote.

* The abstain option is available should anyone want to defer their judgement/vote to a later date.

The Proposal:

Important to note, this is only a proposal.

* The league could be arranged such that any keeper who is dropped and hits free agency, their keeper cost would then be wiped clean. Their keeper cost would then be considered the same as an undrafted player or free agent for the subsequent season ($5).

* If a player is dropped, claimed, and does not clear waivers, however, they would retain their keeper cost.

Example 1:

Player X gets drafted for $20, but then undergoes season ending surgery. Player X gets dropped and clears waivers. The next season, if someone decides to use a roster space on Player X via free agency, Player X would only have a $5 keeper cost instead of $23 -- the price of an undrafted player instead of the initial draft price + $3 (I’m being redundant, but I want this all to makes sense).

Example 2:

Player X gets drafted for $10, but is under-performing and later dropped for a prospect called up in June. Player X is claimed off of waivers and is awarded to the team with the appropriate waiver priority. Player X retains their draft value and would cost $13 to keep the following season -- draft cost + $3.

---

This would serve as an incentive for everyone to pay attention to the league on a more regular basis. People would at least have to stay up on the waiver wire if they wanted to catch potential bargain keepers.

Looking at the waiver wire now, this would mean that Michael Cuddyer could be claimed off waivers and kept for $10 (draft cost of $7 + $3), or people could take the risk of letting him clear waivers to try to keep him for $5.

Again, this potential amendment to the league is only in the discussion phase. If the reaction is positive, and we decide to make this change, it would not be implemented until the start of next season.

Good luck and enjoy your weekend.
    Last edited by Yagyu+; 08-29-2012 at 09:15 PM.

vCash
    In

OK Nick, here is what I need you do. Go over there and grab me some water, a towel, and make yourself comfortable while I WRECK THIS ISH.

My name is Mark Sanchez. I am here to save you.

vCash
    Sounds good.

Couple questions - is the limit for players we can keep that were picked up via free agency/waiver wire still two like last year? Also, free agents that were picked up but drafted by someone else still only cost $5 this time, correct?

Also, Yags, quit kicking my arse.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHeadsRule View Post
    Couple questions - is the limit for players we can keep that were picked up via free agency/waiver wire still two like last year?
    While Dfan25 may have some thinking left to do, his initial thought was that all other settings would remain the same. Below are the details we all agreed upon at the end of last season and again in February:

1a. Each team will be allowed a maximum of eight keepers.

1b. Drafted players will cost their auction value + $3.

2a. Of the maximum eight possible keepers, each team may keep up to two undrafted players.

2b. Undrafted keepers will cost $5 instead of an additional $3.

To qualify as a keeper:

3a. Hitters require a minimum of 150 AB at the major league level.

3b. Starting pitchers require a minimum of 85 innings pitched at the major league level.

3c. Relief pitchers require a minimum of 25 appearances.

Also, free agents that were picked up but drafted by someone else still only cost $5 this time, correct?
    No, that was never the case. We are considering implementing this change at the beginning of next season. It would not influence any keepers from the 2012 season.

Example 1:

2010-2012 - Had Player X been drafted for $10, dropped, and selected by another team -- be it via waiver claim or free agency -- Player X's keeper cost would still be $10 + $3.

2013 - After the start of next season, if this proposal is implemented, Player X's keeper cost would be reduced to $5 if he were to clear waivers and become a free agent.

Example 2:

2013 - Also worth noting, if Player X is drafted for $1, eventually dropped, and clears waivers, then their keeper value would no longer be $4, but instead $5.

Also, Yags, quit kicking my arse.
    Should have traded me Trout.
    Last edited by Yagyu+; 08-24-2012 at 08:31 PM.

vCash
    Sounds good.

vCash
    I'm fine with everything. Hopefully I can actually compete next year.

vCash
    Looks good. My team sucks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehjosha View Post
    I'm fine with everything. Hopefully I can actually compete next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by northsider View Post
    Sounds good.
    While neither of you has yet to officially cast a vote, I'm counting you both as leaning Yes.
    Last edited by Yagyu+; 08-25-2012 at 04:40 PM.

vCash
    EDIT: Towelie voted. Ten out of 12 have voted for and/or voiced in favor of the proposal. Waiting on mell413 and StrandedCub.
    Last edited by Yagyu+; 08-26-2012 at 03:31 PM.

vCash
    My bad, I'm dumb. My vote is in.

vCash
    My bad, my computer has been acting up so I've been getting on mainly on my phone and didn't see this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StrandedCub View Post
    My bad, my computer has been acting up so I've been getting on mainly on my phone and didn't see this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehjosha View Post
    My bad, I'm dumb. My vote is in.
    The 2013 season doesn't start for a while. You both made it with time to spare.

While northsider has yet to officially cast a vote, he did indicate that he was in favor of the proposal, which would mean that it's unanimous.

I'll check in with Dfan25. Unless there's anything further to be discussed, everything should be squared away for the off-season.

vCash
    As one final example, while the proposal will not influence these players this season, were the proposal to have been in place during this season, those current free agents who would be subject to having their keeper cost reset to $5 are:

Code:
    Name		         Draft Cost	 2013 Cost	 Proposal
    G. Sizemore		 $10 		 $13 		 $5 
    B. Gardner		 $9 		 $12 		 $5 
    M. Cuddyer		 $7 		 $10 		 $5 
    J. Weeks		 $5 		 $8 		 $5 
    M. Cabrera (SFG)	 $5 		 $8 		 $5 
    L. Berkman		 $5 		 $8 		 $5 
    M. Pineda		 $5 		 $8 		 $5 
    C. Luebke 		 $5 		 $8 		 $5

vCash
    What was the innings pitched limit for keeping pitchers again?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubbieSteve View Post
    What was the innings pitched limit for keeping pitchers again?
    Eighty-five innings pitched for starters. Twenty-five appearances for relievers.

Looking over your team, this would mean that Jeff Karstens, Andrew Cashner, and A.J. Griffin are currently ineligible.

Also, hitters require 150 at bats. This would mean that Josh Rutledge, Billy Hamilton, and Koyie Hill are currently ineligible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast