Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Eddie Yost

Eddie Yost

Ok, I consider myself an OK person with baseball history, but I was looking up stats and realized Eddie Yost walked 123+ 8 times and led the league in walks 6 times..

My question is this, was this guy a feared hitter at all? Because a slg % of .371 isn't anything special..at all, even in the '50's

I'm just confused that a 1x all star/career .394 slg walked that many times..

Random, i know....

Didn't he like...NEVER swing at pitches outside of the strike zone? Like...ever? I heard he was also great at fouling off pitches that were close. I would only assume he fouled off almost every pitch, and just never swung at balls.

Quote Originally Posted by nymetsrule View Post
    Didn't he like...NEVER swing at pitches outside of the strike zone? Like...ever? I heard he was also great at fouling off pitches that were close. I would only assume he fouled off almost every pitch, and just never swung at balls.
    I'm just confused lol..

He didn't have the #'s which would suggest he should have been feared. And usually if a guy isn't feared pitchers pound the strike zone at a good enough clip where walking that much isn't possible..

He has more walks than guys like Foxx and Gehrig..seems a bit odd too me anyways lol

I dont know why or how he got so many walks, but he did. He took his roll of leading off seriously I guess. When looking at his stats it surprised me to see that in 1956 he had an on base percentage of .412 while only batting .231. The man was a walk machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bos_Sports4Life View Post
    I'm just confused lol..

He didn't have the #'s which would suggest he should have been feared. And usually if a guy isn't feared pitchers pound the strike zone at a good enough clip where walking that much isn't possible..

He has more walks than guys like Foxx and Gehrig..seems a bit odd too me anyways lol
    No matter how much you pound the strike zone, if the guy keeps fouling it off...you're going to miss some pitches.

I don't know either, but it happened...

Quote Originally Posted by Bos_Sports4Life View Post
    Ok, I consider myself an OK person with baseball history, but I was looking up stats and realized Eddie Yost walked 123+ 8 times and led the league in walks 6 times..

My question is this, was this guy a feared hitter at all? Because a slg % of .371 isn't anything special..at all, even in the '50's

I'm just confused that a 1x all star/career .394 slg walked that many times..

Random, i know....
    dude nice stat, i have no idea why he could walk that much but w/e

Eddie Yost was good at walking
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals 21) Reds

It's obvious he took PEDs. No one can walk like that without drugs.

That's actually really interesting though. I wonder if he's related to Ned Yost.

His Nickname Was "The Walking Man" He Wasn't Very Good Besides His Walks Though.

Put him in the Hall of Fame. I'll bet his wOBA is good too

sexicano31 Guest
    Actually, it was pretty good