Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Andy Roddick

vCash

Andy Roddick

Like or dislike?

Many are against his antics. I personally loved his competitiveness and passion, and love him on foxsports.
    He may have won only 1 grand slam.. but he still won one. He was number one and may have won more have it not be Federer

Jw the overall opinion here

vCash
    He was the first player I truly started following closely. I loved him at the beginning of his career but I got annoyed with him as his career winded down. You just can't do anything on the court and claim it as competitiveness. Next what your going to call Nalbandian kicking a linesman as competitiveness. He would continue to argue with umpires, even when he was wrong on so many occasions. I think he is a nice guy but has a **** personality on court. I still like him as a player and thought he should have won wimbledon 2009.

vCash
    Dislike.

Big ego and losing does not go well together, so that is why he's such a jerk.

vCash
    Loved him.

vCash
    The most entertaining thing about Roddick was his interviews, intelligent yet funny.

vCash
    Never liked him. So full of himself, sticking his chest out everywhere. Always looked like a child having a temper-tantrum. So transparently wanted attention.

Always a smart-*** and never really grew up on the tour. Reminds me of Connors.
    You can have him.

vCash
    I love his wife

vCash
    Never liked him.

I've watched tennis for over 20 years now, and in that time few players have treated the chair umpires with such disrespect as Roddick did. It wasn't simply disputing calls, but the condescending manner in which he did it and the words that came out of his mouth. His demeanor on the court was of arrogance and that of a spoiled brat. One of the largest egos of anyone who really never won a thing. Yes, he did win the one grand slam, but I will always remember it as being marred in controversy.

His legacy to me will be as one of the most overhyped and overrated American players of all-time. His generation directly followed the Agassi/Sampras/Courier/Chang generation, which directly followed the Connors/McEnroe generation. Roddick's generation produced the one grand slam, and really can be pinpointed as the beginning of the decline of American men's tennis.

The only redeeming factor for me regarding Andy Roddick was standing up for Andre when the tennis world persecuted him over his book. Roddick was one of the few that stood up and defended Andre, and it did change my opinion of him as a person off the court. I think over the course of his career, like many others, he was humbled by his lack of success and I do believe he matured as a person. These are kids after all. I won't remember him as a player fondly, but I will remember him as a guy who stood up for one of the game's all-time greats when everybody else was taking their shots, and for that Roddick deserves some of my respect.

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013

vCash
    I was always kind of "neither here nor their on him". He seems like an okay guy in "real life" but could be kind of a douche in the context of tennis. He was also overhyped due to everyone wanting him to be the heir to Sampras/Agassi, which got a little annoying after a while. He had a nice serve but was hardly a complete player.

His probably having a fling with my goddess Sharapova and now being married to Brooklyn Decker the swimsuit model makes me dislike him for other, less objective reasons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LordJohn View Post
    I was always kind of "neither here nor their on him". He seems like an okay guy in "real life" but could be kind of a douche in the context of tennis. He was also overhyped due to everyone wanting him to be the heir to Sampras/Agassi, which got a little annoying after a while. He had a nice serve but was hardly a complete player.

His probably having a fling with my goddess Sharapova and now being married to Brooklyn Decker the swimsuit model makes me dislike him for other, less objective reasons.
    Who could forget the tongue baths Roddick would get from Patrick McEnroe on a daily basis?