Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bengie Molina Retires

Bengie Molina has retired, according to Andrew Baggarly of csnbayarea.com. Molina, a catcher, played in parts of 13 seasons with the angels, blue jays, giants and rangers, and though he did not play in 2011, he had remained open to the possibility of returning until now.

Molina, 37, was regarded as a defense-first backstop, posting a .274/.307/.411 line with 144 homers for his career. His full-season high in long balls was 20, which came in 2009. All told, molina accumulated 15.2 wins above replacement, according to Fangraphs' version of that metric. He earned world series rings with the angels in 2002 and the giants in 2010, though he actually finished that season with the rangers, team that lost the world series, after a midseason trade.

Originally signed by the (then) california angels as an amateur free agent in 1993, molina earned $33.48mm in his career, per baseball-reference.
    -MLB Trade Rumors

Watching the game against the Red Sox on tv that he had the cycle in was hilarious. But sad as a Sox fan.
    Bring back MacDime

yawn...

nooooo this was my favorite molina in the "name that molina" game on Baseball Tonight

First Sim League Title!

I my opinion he might have a chance to make it into the Hall of Fame. Bengie was my favorite Molina, and Yadier was my 2nd. It was a great run Bengie!

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet_Caroline View Post
    Watching the game against the Red Sox on tv that he had the cycle in was hilarious. But sad as a Sox fan.
    I REMEMBER THT GAME!! HAHAHA I'm a Yankees fan and i couldn't believe Bengie did tht! hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by thecorefour28 View Post
    I my opinion he might have a chance to make it into the Hall of Fame. Bengie was my favorite Molina, and Yadier was my 2nd. It was a great run Bengie!
    Not a chance in hell he is anywhere close to HoF status.

Nice career. Congrats Bengie.

Thanks for all the memories Bengie, and more importantly thanks for helping our pitching staff become one of the greatest.

Big Money Molina

Nice career, always liked him. Honestly, I like him better even though he isn't as good as, his brother Yadi.

Great career by Bengie. I appreciate everything he did for us, and wish him the best.

Uhhhhhh.........

I REMEMBER THT GAME!! HAHAHA I'm a Yankees fan and i couldn't believe Bengie did tht! hahaha
    I remember that he homred against the Yankees (AJ) during the play offs and we lost the game due to his H4. I think that he never got the credit he deserved. He was a good catcher and as a hitter he was not an automatic out like most catchers...

Great career and an excellent catcher. Best of luck with retirement.

Bengie career

.274/.307/.411 career slash line when the league average catcher hit .251/.316/.393

He was a fantastic defensive catcher, no question. Every time they find a new way to measure catchers defensive values (there are a ton of ways now) he is consistently at or near the top for the era. But he was basically an average hitter throughout his career from the position, and a below average hitter overall in baseball.

He is no hall of famer, but he was a pretty good ball player.

5000 career plate appearances puts him no where near hall of fame longevity, and his career rates aren't anywhere close either.

Great defensive catcher. Will totally be missed. Now just Yadier and Jose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast