Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Beer in the Clubhouse

Sorry if posted before but ESPN just keeps mentioning it. So I was wondering how common it was for teams to have alcohol in the clubhouse. They also mentioned whiskey in Boston. So is this a common thing or no?

I hope so, lol

Quote Originally Posted by T 980 View Post
    I hope so, lol
    I could see Tim Lincecum taking some shots before the game. I don't mean before a start though.

Yes, it's very common in almost all baseball clubhouses to have alcohol available to the players if they want it.

Saw on ESPN that 11 clubs ban alcohol in the clubhouse. So like 2/3 of the league has a few before a game. Which I think is ****ing ridiculous, how are you gonna make millions of dollars to play a sport and drink before you go out to play? That just screams "don't give a ****" to me.

i find it dumb that because some guys unprofessional mistake they all have to suffer for it

thanks a lot boston!

Ban ^^^^^Ban^^^^Ban^^^^meaning the sales pitch above, not poster directly above me

Also, as much as I don't care about alcohol and such in the home or social circles, it has no place in business, during business hours. After hours, office party, get together...different story.

And BTW, Lincecum just hits the pipe, not big on drinking

I'm gonna have a few drinks tomorrow before I go to work....whats the big deal.....LOL
    #BringBackMatty

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Yes, it's very common in almost all baseball clubhouses to have alcohol available to the players if they want it.
    False. 19/30 teams do not allow alcohol in the clubhouse, I think the Red Sox make 20.

Hope the M's have that rule certainly don't want my pitchers drinking during a game just incase they have to be brought in even the starters.

Strange how they'd allow a drink in the clubhouse that dehydrates you and is a diuretic.

the rule should be beer only allowed after a win duh! that would solve everything

i know id give that extra 50% effort if i had beer waiting for me
    Last edited by infernoscurse; 02-26-2012 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SACNYY View Post
    I could see Tim Lincecum taking some shots before the game. I don't mean before a start though.
    No...Timmy does something else before the game. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Trueblue2 View Post
    Saw on ESPN that 11 clubs ban alcohol in the clubhouse. So like 2/3 of the league has a few before a game. Which I think is ****ing ridiculous, how are you gonna make millions of dollars to play a sport and drink before you go out to play? That just screams "don't give a ****" to me.
    I highly doubt they are drinking prior to games.

Most of the alcohol available in the clubhouse are for after the game, and after the media has left. It's available if a player wants to have a beer, wine, or whatever after a game.

The Giants for example drink wine after a win, and beer after a loss and talk about the game. I highly doubt they get drunk, they are drinking just as a cool down and not everybody drinks, and certainly not every night.

These are adults, who are professional athletes that are dangerously concerned about what they put in their bodies in the first place. My wife works out like a freaking nut, but she likes to have a glass of Chardonnay after a workout. Just one glass, sometimes two depending on the night (like if it's Friday night) and she never gets drunk. She takes it as a cool down, something to relax and unwhind. Not everyone that drinks alcohol has to get drunk, abuse it, or drink it irresponsibly.

The Cardinals banned alcohol after Josh Hancock's death which was around the time of TLR's DUI. They banned alcohol for the most part. But I know they still drink on flights and stuff. Who cares? They are adults, if they can't handle alcohol in moderation, they simply shouldn't be consuming it. But if they can handle it in moderation and be superior level athletes, who cares? Again, these are adults. 50 years ago, Mantle, Martin, etc used to get trashed prior to games and play hungover. Not that that's okay, but it doesn't necessarily ruin your ability to play baseball.

It's common, just typical Boston media looking for scapegoats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast