Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    If I still gambled, my money would be on Travis Wood and Chris Volstad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABE32 View Post
    The loss of Carpenter means we will really need The Shark in the Bullpen. Wells if not traded will be the long relief guy.
    You could consider Volstad to take the spot of Carpenter as well though. Maybe one of the younger guys impresses in spring training as well. Think the last spot comes down to Shark and Volstad. I just feel like The Shark takes the spot.

vCash
    Chris Bosia has a big boy crush on Volstad, so I think we have to assume he's the favorite for that fifth spot.

http://www.bleachernation.com/2012/0...chris-volstad/

In Volstad, the Cubs see a power pitcher whose potential barely has been tapped in 31/2 seasons with his hometown Marlins.

‘‘The upside of this guy is phenomenal,’’ pitching coach Chris Bosio said. ‘‘Being able to find young pitchers with that kind of size and that kind of stuff, that’s a needle in a haystack. The kid’s a beast out there. And he does fill up a doorway walking through a room.’’ …

‘‘I definitely don’t think I’ve pitched to my ability,’’ said Vol*stad, who has been one of Bosio’s most serious students in camp. ‘‘I think I’ve shown flashes of it, games here and there, and maybe a little streak here and there. But I haven’t put a whole season together yet, and I *really think I can.’’ …

Despite having an imposing frame similar to Zambrano’s and borrowing Zambrano’s annual tradition of seeking a new start, Volstad seems nothing like Big Z. He’s almost conspicuously quiet, focused and keeps what Bosio calls an ‘‘internal burn’’ to himself.

‘‘This kid’s got a big arm, a lot of potential,’’ Bosio said. ‘‘Hey, we traded a guy that’s 40 games over .500 for this kid. Chris can only control what Chris can do. Right now, I’m very happy with where he’s at in spring and the way he’s going about his work. I can only imagine what the capabilities of his stuff are if we’re able to harness that.

vCash
    Dose Wood hav any options left???

vCash
    If they all have comparable springs, Wood's remaining options might make him an odd man out by default. Same with Shark's value to the pen. Obviously if either of them really stand out in ST, they could earn the spots, but all else being equal, it's just harder to find a place for Wells or Volstad if not in the ML rotation. Wells doesn't seem to have the stuff for the pen in anything but long relief, and I doubt moving Volstad to the pen is considered ideal to his development.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynoplasty View Post
    If they all have comparable springs, Wood's remaining options might make him an odd man out by default. Same with Shark's value to the pen. Obviously if either of them really stand out in ST, they could earn the spots, but all else being equal, it's just harder to find a place for Wells or Volstad if not in the ML rotation. Wells doesn't seem to have the stuff for the pen in anything but long relief, and I doubt moving Volstad to the pen is considered ideal to his development.
    Wells is the odd man out...I can see him either being traded or being a long relief guy. In a perfect Would I would like to see Shark get the nod, Wells gets traded and Dolis in the bullpen.

Garza
    Dempster
    Maholm
    Shark
    Volstad

Wood starts off in the Minors.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    Wells has an option too I'm pretty sure. That's why I see him getting the boot. Shark goes to the pen, Wells goes to Iowa is what I would bet on.

vCash
    Wells is the odd man out...I can see him either being traded or being a long relief guy. In a perfect Would I would like to see Shark get the nod, Wells gets traded and Dolis in the bullpen.

Garza
    Dempster
    Maholm
    Shark
    Volstad

In earlier posts you state Samardzija is needed in the bullpen and now you have him in the rotation. You state Wells is a 1 year wonder in 2009 yet in 2010 he had a higher WAR with 3.2 compared to 3 in 09. Volstad has been bad the past 3 seasons and Wood was bad last year. You defeat the idea of having pitching depth if you trade Wells. Look at the bullpen past Marmol, Wood & Russell and you will need 2 of the above to go to the pen and not AAA. Let spring training determine the last 2 spots with the losers going to the bullpen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jilly Bohnson View Post
    Wells has an option too I'm pretty sure. That's why I see him getting the boot. Shark goes to the pen, Wells goes to Iowa is what I would bet on.
    I didn't realize Wells had an option.

If that's the case and they all have comparable springs (obviously all of this conjuncture goes out the window if any of them have particularly great or poor springs) then I would guess Volstad is a pretty sure bet for a rotation spot because of his greater potential upside and lack of convenient place to stash him.

Wood probably has a slight edge over Wells on perceived upside and, fair or not, just plain newness; they'll be more inclined to see what he can do. Between those two it could just come down to who plays better in ST even if the difference is minimal.

Shark is sort of the wild card, to my mind. If he does nothing to differentiate himself in ST, then he's the most valuable to the pen out of the three, so I would expect him as the 7th inning guy with one of Wells/Wood in the rotation and the other in AAA. But from what I've read, I think the organization would still really like to see him succeed as a starter. He has the most untapped upside, and I think if he does anything at all to stand out in ST, he could easily earn the rotation spot. It's possible he'll earn the spot just by demonstrating effectiveness with his secondary pitches and showing that he can be an effective starter. In that case, I'd guess one of Wood/Wells in long relief and the other in AAA.

So basically Garza, Dempster, and Maholm are locks. Volstad is a safe bet unless he plays himself out of a spot or is unfortunate enough for two of Shark/Wells/Wood to have monster springs, Shark will have a slight advantage IF he shows he can be an effective starter, and Wood/Wells are a bit disadvantaged by their options and relative lack of upside.

vCash
    I didn't realize Wells had an option.

If that's the case and they all have comparable springs (obviously all of this conjuncture goes out the window if any of them have particularly great or poor springs) then I would guess Volstad is a pretty sure bet for a rotation spot because of his greater potential upside and lack of convenient place to stash him.

Wood probably has a slight edge over Wells on perceived upside and, fair or not, just plain newness; they'll be more inclined to see what he can do. Between those two it could just come down to who plays better in ST even if the difference is minimal.

Shark is sort of the wild card, to my mind. If he does nothing to differentiate himself in ST, then he's the most valuable to the pen out of the three, so I would expect him as the 7th inning guy with one of Wells/Wood in the rotation and the other in AAA. But from what I've read, I think the organization would still really like to see him succeed as a starter. He has the most untapped upside, and I think if he does anything at all to stand out in ST, he could easily earn the rotation spot. It's possible he'll earn the spot just by demonstrating effectiveness with his secondary pitches and showing that he can be an effective starter. In that case, I'd guess one of Wood/Wells in long relief and the other in AAA.

So basically Garza, Dempster, and Maholm are locks. Volstad is a safe bet unless he plays himself out of a spot or is unfortunate enough for two of Shark/Wells/Wood to have monster springs, Shark will have a slight advantage IF he shows he can be an effective starter, and Wood/Wells are a bit disadvantaged by their options and relative lack of upside.
    Completely agree. I think they're expecting Wood and Volstad and hoping for Wood and Shark. Although if everyone does well Wood might suffer due to having options. Wells is definitely going to suffer because not only does he have an option but he has experience in the pen.

vCash

Garza
    Dempster
    Maholm
    Shark
    Volstad

I don't see anyone getting traded. Theo has been beating the drum of pitching depth since the day he arrived in Chicago. The 6th, 7th, and 8th starters were a big part of what killed us last year. He's stockpiled pitchers specifically to ensure that those guys are all legit 4th/5th starter caliber players instead of not-ready specs and aging scrap heap acquisitions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jilly Bohnson View Post
    Completely agree. I think they're expecting Wood and Volstad and hoping for Wood and Shark. Although if everyone does well Wood might suffer due to having options. Wells is definitely going to suffer because not only does he have an option but he has experience in the pen.
    It helps Shark that the theme of 2012 is finding out what assets we have for 2013, too. If this were a battle for the 5th spot on a competing team, his value to the bullpen would place him at a disadvantage. As is, solidifying the pen has to be pretty far down the list of priorities.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972 Cubs View Post
    In earlier posts you state Samardzija is needed in the bullpen and now you have him in the rotation. You state Wells is a 1 year wonder in 2009 yet in 2010 he had a higher WAR with 3.2 compared to 3 in 09. Volstad has been bad the past 3 seasons and Wood was bad last year. You defeat the idea of having pitching depth if you trade Wells. Look at the bullpen past Marmol, Wood & Russell and you will need 2 of the above to go to the pen and not AAA. Let spring training determine the last 2 spots with the losers going to the bullpen.
    Yeah In he is needed in the pen JACKOFF. In this post I said IN A PERFECT WORLD get you head out of our *** and read what is written. The rest of your post is blah blah blah....

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rynoplasty View Post
    i don't see anyone getting traded. Theo has been beating the drum of pitching depth since the day he arrived in chicago. The 6th, 7th, and 8th starters were a big part of what killed us last year. He's stockpiled pitchers specifically to ensure that those guys are all legit 4th/5th starter caliber players instead of not-ready specs and aging scrap heap acquisitions.
    in a perfect world!!!!

vCash
    Wells is the odd man out...I can see him either being traded or being a long relief guy. In a perfect Would I would like to see Shark get the nod, Wells gets traded and Dolis in the bullpen.Garza
    Dempster
    Maholm
    Shark
    Volstad

In a perfect Would ......just to reiterate In a perfect Would see the typo should be WORLD

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast