Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MadThane View Post
    First off get your info straight...If you go to any site that had a scouting report on Hughes before and after he was drafted by the Yanks it stated he was mid 90s pitcher there was no mention that he was a 90-91 type pitcher until he came up and they messed with him. Go look at the back of his friggin Topps rookie card and it states he throws low to mid 90s.

AJ mentioned he did not need to throw as hard when he came to the Yankees cause he was on a new team drinking that Yankee kool-aide...of course he is going to agree with what they tell him.

Joba...was clocked at 97-100 his first season in the pen...after going back to the pen from the rotation,when was he throwing that hard again? he was throwing 93-95. Plus his slider was not as sharpe.
    My info is just fine...

Yes, we all "heard" about this power pitcher. But as far as I remember, even that game when he came up and was no-hitting the Rangers, as far as I remember, he was throwing 96 in the first inning, then was 91-92 the rest of the game. Only time he has thrown 94 or more consistently, was throwing an inning or 2 out of the pen. Doesn't really matter, though, if he can sit at 92-93, he should be fine. And of course, stop leaving that cutter or whatever he calls it right on the middle of the plate at 88mph.

And AJ was talking about not throwing as hard way before he started pitching here. Said he learned from Halladay that he should take a little off, concentrate more on location, and let his stuff get quick outs. Even in year one with us, he wasn't throwing 97. Maybe it was partly him just getting older. It happens.

And yes, maybe Joba pinballing back and forth between starting and relieving may have done something, sure. But I doubt they disliked him throwing 97. Or told him to go back to the pen and only throw 94. Something just wasn't there. Maybe his arm wasn't right. Maybe it was confidence, or that the adrenaline just wasn't there anymore. Or, maybe he just burned himself out after throwing so hard when he first came up...who knows. I do know, though, that his location wasn't as good with the fastball, and the league started laying off the slider, which forced him to start going to other pitches, which made him more hittable. Also, going to constant deep counts, and having long innings can't help either..

CC hasn't thrown any softer. Neither has Nova. We'll see with Pineda.

Just a side note, there isn't anything wrong with averaging 92-93. Know how many guys average better than that? 6 starters total threw 94 or harder. 10 guys averaged 93. So thats a total of 16 starters that averaged 93 or better. Big difference between touching 94, and averaging it..
    Last edited by ShadyOne; 02-24-2012 at 02:40 PM.

vCash
    AJ is jealous. He blames that it is his teamates's fault for him losing and struggling in many games over the last 2 seasons, but it isn't their fault. It's Burnett's because if Burnett saw that he was struggling a lot, he should've went to Dave Eiland (Yankees pitching coach at that time) for help and by putting more practice and effort into his mechanics, maybe he would've been the piutcher that the Yankees and the Yankee Universe had hoped for. ***PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT***

vCash
    AJ is right, NY was the problem... He has a fragile psyche and Playing in NYC, will eat those players up like a kindergarten class in a candy store... Many a very good player has struggled here only to leave and star again.

I believe AJ will blossom again in Pittsburgh where the Fan/Media pressure is gone... and if you don't think the fans put pressure on him...read this thread again and realize that the posters are fans.

vCash
    The name of this thread is assumptive.

AJ's always been honest. He had no need to kiss the Yankee butt any more. Martin basically corroborated what he said, any way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    My info is just fine...

Yes, we all "heard" about this power pitcher. But as far as I remember, even that game when he came up and was no-hitting the Rangers, as far as I remember, he was throwing 96 in the first inning, then was 91-92 the rest of the game. Only time he has thrown 94 or more consistently, was throwing an inning or 2 out of the pen. Doesn't really matter, though, if he can sit at 92-93, he should be fine. And of course, stop leaving that cutter or whatever he calls it right on the middle of the plate at 88mph.

And AJ was talking about not throwing as hard way before he started pitching here. Said he learned from Halladay that he should take a little off, concentrate more on location, and let his stuff get quick outs. Even in year one with us, he wasn't throwing 97. Maybe it was partly him just getting older. It happens.

And yes, maybe Joba pinballing back and forth between starting and relieving may have done something, sure. But I doubt they disliked him throwing 97. Or told him to go back to the pen and only throw 94. Something just wasn't there. Maybe his arm wasn't right. Maybe it was confidence, or that the adrenaline just wasn't there anymore. Or, maybe he just burned himself out after throwing so hard when he first came up...who knows. I do know, though, that his location wasn't as good with the fastball, and the league started laying off the slider, which forced him to start going to other pitches, which made him more hittable. Also, going to constant deep counts, and having long innings can't help either..

CC hasn't thrown any softer. Neither has Nova. We'll see with Pineda.

Just a side note, there isn't anything wrong with averaging 92-93. Know how many guys average better than that? 6 starters total threw 94 or harder. 10 guys averaged 93. So thats a total of 16 starters that averaged 93 or better. Big difference between touching 94, and averaging it..
    That is a really really good point, i think most of us forget how few pitchers throw 93+ on average.

As far as AJ he's gone now and no longer our problem, i'm far more interested in what they are going to do to continue to develop Nova, Pineda, Hughes, Banuelos ect rather than what has already happened with AJ.

I think AJ did alot of very good thing while he was here, unfortunately most of his good actions were more about how he dealt with his struggles on the mound rather than his successes. He was always a very good team mate and was always the first one to say theirs no excuse, I just have to pitch better.

The guy is going somewhere to start over, i ve seen alot of guys say alot worse things about a team he just left than i felt they messed with my mechanics to much. He's not sitting their and taking shot about his former teammates or really saying anything negative about the Yanks in general

vCash
    Burnett was just taken to the hospital after being hit in the eye during a bunting drill.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...irates-burnett

vCash
    Wow, that's terrible. I hope he's OK.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    Burnett was just taken to the hospital after being hit in the eye during a bunting drill.

HAHAHAHAHA!! I love it!!! Now he's a real Pirate with an Eye patch!!!!

It wasn't his fault, the Pirates hitting coached messed with his batting stance!!!

As many times Joe had to answer questions about AJ every time he started and NEVER threw him under the bus, and for AJ to blame the Yankees. Karma is a ***** ain't it AJ!!??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OKEEJOE View Post

It wasn't his fault, the Pirates hitting coached messed with his batting stance!!!

As many times Joe had to answer questions about AJ every time he started and NEVER threw him under the bus, and for AJ to blame the Yankees. Karma is a ***** ain't it AJ!!??
    Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OKEEJOE View Post

Better watch out then.

Go back and read the responses to this thread that you didn't author. AJ was quoted out of context and in no way shape or form threw anyone under any vehicle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OKEEJOE:21150214
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post

no he just blamed the yankee pitching coaches for not giving him enough batting practice while he was in the american league

vCash
    Head case. Sad to see him go with all that potential. But he needed a change of secenery.

vCash
    Glad he's gone, he's Pittsburg one eye bandit now lol

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123