Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Burnett blames Yanks for pitching woes

Now that the trade is official, A.J. Burnett is saying he is very glad to be getting away from the New York Yankees. Burnett is blaming the Yankees for the way he has pitched over the last two seasons, saying the team tinkered too much with him.
    READ MORE: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ycn-10991774

A.J. Burnett said Tuesday that he thinks changes in his delivery resulted in a velocity drop last season. Burnett averaged 94.2 mph on his fastball in 2009, but the average velocity on his heater dropped all the way down to 92.7 mph last season. It's very possible that this is just the natural progression of a pitcher in their mid-30s, but Burnett seems to believe otherwise. "I had deception in my delivery in 2009 that made me successful," said Burnett. "It wasn’t anybody. They didn’t like the turn. They wanted me to be more of a strike thrower and try to get more consistent in the strike zone because I was wild in that delivery -- but then again I was more powerful and dominant in that delivery." Even if Burnett doesn't get back to his previous velocity, he should benefit by leaving the AL East and moving to the easier league.
    Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ycn-10991774

--

Now I know the most of you have moved on from Burnett. However, I'd really like to know being an outsider if this is in fact true. Did any of you notice any changes to his mechanics and delivery from '09-11? Or is this Burnett being a bum always bashing his former teams?

vCash
    Hello outsider,

Yes Burnett did change his mechanics. The turn he used to do AWAY from home plate before delivering a pitch was taken away by the Yankees. Also, his leg kick was higher and his stride to home plate was a little longer.

I'm not to sure though if it was the new delivery or just normal wear and tear that resulted in his velocity drop. AJ is a good guy so for him to come out and say the Yankees messed with his delivery is a little pre-mature. He is a big boy. If he did not like the delivery, he could have stuck to his old one. But as you can see from his stats, NOTHING WAS WORKING. So I am glad he is officially gone.

vCash
    The quotes are taken out of context. He wasn't mad or anything at the Yankees. He was more disappointed with himself if anything.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan4life View Post
    The quotes are taken out of context. He wasn't mad or anything at the Yankees. He was more disappointed with himself if anything.
    Exactly. The one who puts the most blame on A.J is himself. He knows he's better than his numbers were. He never left early and ditched the media. Even when the media was on his case he took his shots. He took accountability for it all. The guy isn't even on this team anymore and the media is still giving him grief and twisting his words. It's not like he said they ruined him, he just didn't agree with the changes and merely stated that it could have been one of the variables that lead to him being so bad the last 2 years. It's not like he cursed them out and said they were the flat out #1 reason that he stunk. He knows that no matter what he's the #1 reason he didn't pitch well. I seriously hope he wins 17 games and has an ERA of 3.30 this year.
    ^This is a REAL Nets fan^

"The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they don't play together, the club won't be worth a dime."

- Babe Ruth

vCash
    AJ doesn't know what he is talking about. When Eiland works his magic on you, your velocity goes down and stays down, that is it's purpose. Ask Phil and Joba.
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

- Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

vCash
    AJ control was so bad at times in 10-11 that he couldn't throw it in the ocean when he was standing on a boat. Yeah the Yanks messed with his mechanic because they were getting piss poor results out of their 16.5M dollar investment

I agree with slinger that the Yanks coaches really haven't done the best job helping their pitchers with their well anything. I don't think going from 1 pitching idea in 2010 to Rothchild in 2011 helped AJ alot either. I will say this for the guy i will always respect him and hope he does well because no matter how bad of game he had he didn't duck out on the media, he stuck around answered all the hard questions, took responsibility for it and said he simply had to do better. Their aren't to many big name athletes that u see do that anymore

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan4life View Post
    I haven't seen/heard them IN context, but that's what I've been reading 'round the internets. It also aligns with what I've seen of AJ the past 3 seasons. It just sounds like he feels he got more mixed up the more he tried to fix the problems. Which is possible. It could also be that he's just gotten old. Lots of people point to pitchers and say they need to fix their mechanics, but its rare that we actually see that work.

vCash
    NO NOT THE INVERTED W!!!!!! Cashman did it again!!! He's doomed.

When someone pays you that much money, they can do what they want. But if you disagree, you walk away and say..I enjoyed my time and will remember that World Series ring with the team..Now time for a fresh start..not well I was awful because THEY tinkered to much with me.

I was happy for AJ until I read this **** couple days ago. Now i hope he takes a line drive to the face.

vCash
    burnetts fragile pysche is what caused his poor preformace. he's simpyl not a new york guy
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OKEEJOE View Post
    NO NOT THE INVERTED W!!!!!! Cashman did it again!!! He's doomed.

When someone pays you that much money, they can do what they want. But if you disagree, you walk away and say..I enjoyed my time and will remember that World Series ring with the team..Now time for a fresh start..not well I was awful because THEY tinkered to much with me.

I was happy for AJ until I read this **** couple days ago. Now i hope he takes a line drive to the face.
    So you want him to be severely injured because he said the Yanks tinkered with his mechanics too much and it may have been one of the reasons that lead to him not being so good the last 2 years? Well aren't you a swell fella...
    ^This is a REAL Nets fan^

"The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they don't play together, the club won't be worth a dime."

- Babe Ruth

vCash
    Non-story that was being taken out of context.

vCash
    i believe him cause its not the first time, i already talked about this in the joba thread and believe the yankees just mess with the pitchers head too much

vCash
    The only 'deception' was thinking we were getting a frontline starter. Thanks AJ for these stats in 2009...

4.04 era
    0 shutouts
    1 complete game
    97 walks
    4.2 bb/9
    17 wild pitches
    1.401 whip

Such deception.

you...us...we...maybe next year?

vCash
    poor AJ

vCash
    Now that I am part of the Pittsburgh Pirates, I would just like to say how grateful I am to the #Yankees organization and the fans. #Class
    That's A.J's farewell tweet to the Yankees and their fans since, you know...there are those who love to neglect the positive things people say.

I'm gonna miss the guy which is a testament to how much I appreciated the 2009 season; it was my first title as a fan after all. Best of luck to him in Pittsburgh!

We remember...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast