Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,590
    vCash
    1500

    Dirk > Magic & Bird

    Dirk's PER

    Regular Season
    Peak: 28.1
    2nd Best: 27.6
    3rd best: 26.1
    Career: 23.7

    Playoffs
    Peak: 28.4
    2nd Best: 28.3
    3rd Best: 27.5
    Career: 24.7


    Magic's PER

    Regular Season
    Peak: 27.0
    2nd Best: 26.9
    3rd Best: 26.6
    Career: 24.1

    Playoffs
    Peak: 26.2
    2nd Best: 25.6
    3rd Best: 25.0
    Career: 22.9



    Bird's PER


    Regular Season
    Peak: 27.8
    2nd Best: 26.5
    3rd Best: 26.4
    Career: 23.5

    Playoffs
    Peak: 26.3
    2nd Best: 23.9
    3rd Best: 21.8
    Career: 21.4


    Fact.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    \_(ツ)_/
    Posts
    63,591
    vCash
    500
    using one stat to prove anything is always simple. i know you're just upset that people have the audacity to think that kobe wasn't the best player in 2006, and someone used PER to help illustrate the bigger picture...but no one is making this simple/stupid of an argument. PER is a telling stat, but no one, not even its creator, says it's a stat that tells everything by itself.


    dirk's advanced stats will decrease as he gets older, thus his career PER will drop.

    but again, using one stat to prove anything is silly, and no one is doing that elsewhere...so relax.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    3,071
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by manramforprez24 View Post
    using one stat to prove anything is always simple. I know you're just upset that people have the audacity to think that kobe wasn't the best player in 2006, and someone used per to help illustrate the bigger picture...but no one is making this simple/stupid of an argument. Per is a telling stat, but no one, not even its creator, says it's a stat that tells everything by itself.


    Dirk's advanced stats will decrease as he gets older, thus his career per will drop.

    But again, using one stat to prove anything is silly, and no one is doing that elsewhere...so relax.
    +1
    Suck it

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stalking Bismack Biyombo
    Posts
    21,702
    vCash
    1500
    Someone's butt hurt
    Leave me alone

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    HCA (Homecourt Advantage)
    Posts
    65,485
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by knightstemplar View Post
    Dirk's PER

    Regular Season
    Peak: 28.1
    2nd Best: 27.6
    3rd best: 26.1
    Career: 23.7

    Playoffs
    Peak: 28.4
    2nd Best: 28.3
    3rd Best: 27.5
    Career: 24.7


    Magic's PER

    Regular Season
    Peak: 27.0
    2nd Best: 26.9
    3rd Best: 26.6
    Career: 24.1

    Playoffs
    Peak: 26.2
    2nd Best: 25.6
    3rd Best: 25.0
    Career: 22.9



    Bird's PER


    Regular Season
    Peak: 27.8
    2nd Best: 26.5
    3rd Best: 26.4
    Career: 23.5

    Playoffs
    Peak: 26.3
    2nd Best: 23.9
    3rd Best: 21.8
    Career: 21.4


    Fact.
    Well truth be told, the more stars you have and the less high school players and 1 year players in college you have the harder it will be for your PER to be high because your PER is determined by everyone else in the league and how good they play. Back when Magic/Bird played and even MJ you really didn't have high schoolers in the league so you had many more polished players in the league.
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

    Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    32,430
    vCash
    1894
    Quote Originally Posted by JordansBulls View Post
    Well truth be told, the more stars you have and the less high school players and 1 year players in college you have the harder it will be for your PER to be high because your PER is determined by everyone else in the league and how good they play. Back when Magic/Bird played and even MJ you really didn't have high schoolers in the league so you had many more polished players in the league.
    Truth be told its not a huge difference maker, you can plug in a players statline into any era. You would have to figure out how to account for the fact that defenses have gotten better throughout Dirks career but the overall picture is the same.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    camped outside American Airlines Arena
    Posts
    19,850
    vCash
    1500
    Well that settles it - the PER is of no value after this. Nothing against Dirk, but Magic and Bird are legends with so much versatility and intangibles. Dirk is just a great, unique PF.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Central Europe
    Posts
    1,167
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade>You View Post
    Well that settles it - the PER is of no value after this. Nothing against Dirk, but Magic and Bird are legends with so much versatility and intangibles. Dirk is just a great, unique PF.
    This settles it, most NBA Fans have no grasp of stats, advanced or basic. That's why most dismiss stats or use them to prove the wrong things (like FG% to prove that someone is a good shooter). The stats them self are pretty useful.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    ****ing Bruges
    Posts
    34,811
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade>You View Post
    Well that settles it - the PER is of no value after this. Nothing against Dirk, but Magic and Bird are legends with so much versatility and intangibles. Dirk is just a great, unique PF.
    Dirk is easily comparable to Bird. . . Bird is obviously going down as better all time but it's hard not to see them and be like eh that's close.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    HCA (Homecourt Advantage)
    Posts
    65,485
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade>You View Post
    Well that settles it - the PER is of no value after this. Nothing against Dirk, but Magic and Bird are legends with so much versatility and intangibles. Dirk is just a great, unique PF.
    This is why the era you play in matters because more guys put up better numbers back in the day than now and there were smarter players as well.
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

    Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •